Unofficial Mills

Scott and Chris sounding top of their game

Mike123

During this past year, I’d been strongly of the opinion Scott and Chris seemed to be winding down their show, and with events like Innuendo Bingo and the Lolathon seeming a bit like a swan song, and the show’s content sounding a bit tired, as if they knew the show was coming to an end, not to mention Scott’s Radio 2 covers, it seemed enevitable.  However, during the past few weeks, from listening, they have massively stepped up, they have an intro and some proper custom imaging, some podcasts are over 40 minutes, and they’re back with a vengence, sounding fresher than ever.  They sound so fresh and on target, I honestly think that if there were plans for them to leave as suspected, they must have changed.  They can’t leave when they’re sounding this good.  Two theories - they’ve signed another deal for 1-4pm for a few more years, or - and this is very out there - I’m all but certain Grimmy on drive was a contractual complication, and he won’t see out the year, it’s the laziest show I’ve ever heard, it’s gone downhill massively.  So my second theory is, seeing as Radio 1 don’t have some huge young new talent that can take over Breakfast and drive, (hence Greg being a excellent guardian for the slot until the next generation of DJs for radio 1 breaks through in 2-3 years), what if they were to put Scott and Chris back onto drive for 2-3 years, until someone else is ready.  Then Greg and Scott will move on in a few years, and Radio 1 will have got some fresh new young DJs by then that are ready to take over the shows.  What do you think?  The only reason I think this is possible is because their afternoon show has had a huge refresh and they sound better than ever.  Can you see this happening? 

9 hours ago, Mike123 said:

During this past year, I’d been strongly of the opinion Scott and Chris seemed to be winding down their show, and with events like Innuendo Bingo and the Lolathon seeming a bit like a swan song, and the show’s content sounding a bit tired, as if they knew the show was coming to an end, not to mention Scott’s Radio 2 covers, it seemed enevitable.  However, during the past few weeks, from listening, they have massively stepped up, they have an intro and some proper custom imaging, some podcasts are over 40 minutes, and they’re back with a vengence, sounding fresher than ever.  They sound so fresh and on target, I honestly think that if there were plans for them to leave as suspected, they must have changed.  They can’t leave when they’re sounding this good.  Two theories - they’ve signed another deal for 1-4pm for a few more years, or - and this is very out there - I’m all but certain Grimmy on drive was a contractual complication, and he won’t see out the year, it’s the laziest show I’ve ever heard, it’s gone downhill massively.  So my second theory is, seeing as Radio 1 don’t have some huge young new talent that can take over Breakfast and drive, (hence Greg being a excellent guardian for the slot until the next generation of DJs for radio 1 breaks through in 2-3 years), what if they were to put Scott and Chris back onto drive for 2-3 years, until someone else is ready.  Then Greg and Scott will move on in a few years, and Radio 1 will have got some fresh new young DJs by then that are ready to take over the shows.  What do you think?  The only reason I think this is possible is because their afternoon show has had a huge refresh and they sound better than ever.  Can you see this happening? 

Actually I think your theory could be one that’s correct - after all Scott is already doing drive on a Friday so why not add the other four 

His Dance anthems has been renamed too to Party Anthems 

What I think will happen is there will be major changes when the new controller for Radio 1&2 is announced (has it been?) if this is Ben Cooper as predicted maybe he’ll make major changes 

But yes I 100% agree Scott’s show sounds fresher than ever and it’s also been really good to hear him solo as well 

Scott and Chris are probaly the best thing on radio 1, they’re always funny. They are one of the best radio shows in the whole UK. Even if they leave radio 1- id follow them to wherever they go.

ive been enjoying it a lot this year with the return of innuendo bingo! And ‘superfan Steve’ that’s wicked- shows how few celebs listen to R1? I seem to remember people like Olly Murs and Graham Norton used to listen back in the day! 

I think Scott’s 2nd LOLathon just shows how funny him and Chris are- at least there a duo that get on and doesn’t feel constructed *cough cough Matt and mollie*. 

Despite Scott being in his 40s he sounds more young and fresh then ever! 

1 hour ago, Darren m said:

Yea I would aswell I think they should maybe get Friday sat sun breakfast with Matt and mollie doing. 1 till 4

I don’t want them to do that tbh, Scott and Chris’ current slot is a lot better than Matt and Mollie’s, think if they got moved it would seem like a demotion 

38 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

I don’t want them to do that tbh, Scott and Chris’ current slot is a lot better than Matt and Mollie’s, think if they got moved it would seem like a demotion 

Definitely a demotion specially as Scott is chart host too 

Dev deserves a weekday slot IMO 

There’s no way Scott is going back to drivetime.

I think Scott’s been given a new contract after turning down Heart Breakfast. Meaning he’ll be on afternoons for a good few years yet. I think Greg is on Breakfast for the long haul too - probably 6-8 years 

9 hours ago, Ash101 said:

I think Scott’s been given a new contract after turning down Heart Breakfast. Meaning he’ll be on afternoons for a good few years yet. I think Greg is on Breakfast for the long haul too - probably 6-8 years 

I would say probably correct, that Scott Mills was definately offered the gig and turned it down - bit of a kick to Jamie Theaktson to know he was second fiddle after being in the slot for some years

Wonder what made Scott turn it down - was it the fact he would have been working with Amanda Holden lol

As for Greg - I would say he will go for Moyles' record and try to do 9/10 years being the radio nerd he is, but it depends how long you can hack early mornings although he has Chris Evans' wish of being 4 days only

I can see Scott on afternoons for some time yet too as him Adele and Clara are the only constant on daytime currently after recent changes to both weekday and weekend schedules but maybe start to cover shows on Radio 2 like SWITA and Ken Bruce? Also of note Sara Cox has had no real "leave" since being on drive, wonder if there is potential for Scott to cover this slot?

It will be interesting to see what happens to the three from Kiss - maybe they have potential to replace Grimmy on drive one day ? and give Dev and Alice the night show weekdays where they can be smutty and allow Jordan to have weekend afternoons and be the cover for weekday shows as well - Dev definately deserves a slot on daytime even if it is the 9pm one nightly

10 hours ago, Ash101 said:

There’s no way another breakfast host will last 6-8 years after Moyles.  It needs to refresh much quicker than that, Moyles staying so long left radio 1 in a tricky situation, not to mention, Greg’s breakfast era is really most likely a transitional show before the new big radio 1 DJs break through.

• 4 months later...