Unofficial Mills

Why is the sound quality of OB's not as good as being at BBC Radio 1?

ListentoMe

Has anybody else noticed that for instance with Greg James being live from Pacific Quays all week in Glasgow the sound quality is not as good from BBC Scotland as it is when he's at BBC Radio 1. Does anyone know why this is?

Just wondering.

Greg James is off to Africa for Comic Relief. Read it here, r1newspost.wordpress.com.

I completely see what you mean, it definately does sound different. I imagine, in laymans terms, all the knobs and buttons are just configured differently for the voices there, to what they are in Yalding House at Radio 1, which is what the sound we are used to day in day out. I did notice the quality was particually bad on monday for Greg James' show and very odd sounding, but they appear to have fixed that for tuesday. But on other outside broadcasts, like Hackney Weekend, Chris Moyles Roadshow etc, the equipment they use seems to be a lot more limited and satalites etc involved, so I think that decreases the quality slightly. I'd be interested to hear someones opionion who has some authority on the matter!

It's a simple issue with the bitrate. They can only transfer so much quickly back to the Radio 1 HQ and so sometimes the quality has to slightly decrease. It doesn't bother me though, because they make up for it with altering compression etc..

i find this strange. mark and lard used to broadcast their show every day from bbc manchester to radio 1 in london, and they sounded fine. they used to have handovers with chris moyles sometimes, and it just sounded like they were sitting next to each other.

on the grid.

• 3 weeks later...
I think this is the old Radio channels and only deal in Radio so this is why the sound quality is good of this channel because the BBC is not only deal with Radio but its a big news channel so i think this is why the radio quality is bad of this channel....

The question wasn't really about the sound quality of the whole station/channel...

*smells a rat here*

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...