Unofficial Mills

Reality TV : Is It Time It Stopped !!

Viv

Do you think it is time reality TV stopped? What WILL stop it?

There is a never ending supply of shows : where one stops, another begins - with varying degrees of success and varying outcomes. I recently heard an actor on Radio 2 complaining about the damaging effect it has to their acting profession, because there is simply no need for solid/good drama on TV.

To people who do very well out of it (and ARE talented) to peeps who just simply appear to be losing it.

Are you tired of it? This is what Wagner (remember him?) has tweeted today :-

"What a ride. I am surrounded by sheer beauty, everywhere I look... I surrender to the Glory that lifts my soul, from this world, to Heaven". :|

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Do you think it is time reality TV stopped? What WILL stop it? There is a never ending supply of shows : where one stops, another begins - with varying degrees of success and varying outcomes.
The outcomes all seem the same to me: Yet another fame-hungry-but-talentless, vacuous void of a human being gets thrusted into the limelight, more often than not to fade into obscurity after Cowell or whoever was in charge of the show (behind the scenes) can't make any more money out of them, after giving them a miniscule cut, then throwing them to the gutter because he is an arse. and the 'Winner' of the show is never the one who actually gets the biggest spot in the limelight.
Wagner (remember him?)
No.
This is what Wagner (remember him?) has tweeted today :- "What a ride. I am surrounded by sheer beauty, everywhere I look... I surrender to the Glory that lifts my soul, from this world, to Heaven". :|
Clearly a fruitloop then. :crazy::weirdo: The ONLY example I've ever liked of Reality TV was the first 2 series of Big Brother. Series 1 it was an original idea (For UK TV, at least) and also an experiment. Series 2 was also still good as the various fame-hungry dickheads hadn't caught on to the concept of getting their 5 minutes of fame just by being a twat on TV yet (again, often ending up better off than the winner). Series 1 also had the ONLY likeable winner ever in Big Brother UK history.

Gotta love that last week, even Cowell 'admitted he got too cocky', although this may have just been a publicity stunt to get him yet more attention.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Do you think it is time reality TV stopped? What WILL stop it?

That time came a lot time ago and unfortunately I don't think anything will ever stop it. The programmes make too much money for the tv companies and because the general public is such an idiot and fickle bunch they will always want these kind of shows now they've got a taste for them. Its one thing to enjoy dipping in and out of these programmes but when you start to take them seriously and let your life be dictated by them thats just getting too far. I used to be friends with a couple who were exactly like that. They got way too worked up about whatever was happening on the show (X Factor at the time if I remember), and at one point we were at the ridiculous stage where if people were going out for the night they would wait till they'd seen the show before they joined us.

I admit that in the past I have watched Big Brother and have dipped in and out of X Factor, but in the last few years I've deliberately avoided any and all of these kind of shows. I don't watch X Factor, I don't like BGT, nor do I watch any of these dancing shows or I'm A Nobody, Get Me A Career. I refuse to let them in my life and to be honest I actually think its all the better for it. The only exception I've made recently was when Comedy Dave was on Dancing on Ice, and that was only because of the stories we were hearing on the breakfast show in the mornings, I liked to know what they were talking about. I only watched the bits where he was in and when he left I stopped watching.

I have to say though, when it comes to the people who put themselves forward for these shows I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Everyone knows that a lot of these people are there to be laughed at, if someone is so stupid to think that wouldn't happen to them then they deserve whats coming to them I'm afraid.

Not impressed with censorship

Reality TV is amazing. I live for The X Factor. But, as a self-admitted TV addict, I state for a FACT you can not get better than drama.

Spoken language is kind of messed up compared to written or scripted language, plus, everyone on reality TV is really bloody dim normally. But I also think reality TV can be defined in different ways. I mean, I would say Big Brother and TOWIE are reality TV, but not really The X Factor.

I normally only watch proper reality TV when I'm bored, rather than scheduling it in.

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

Agreed there, X-Factor is more an overblown Talent (and I use the word loosely here) show.

Drama, well... Doctor Who got 2 awards for best DRAMA actors at the NTA's, didn't it? I wouldn't call it drama per se, but it's bloody enjoyable. Sherlock and stuff like Spooks likewise, great Drama.

You can't really call TOWIE 'Reality' either, seeing as it's more scripted than pro-wrestling... I suspect the other shows it's spawned and the US equivalents are the same. Reality TV was stuff like Airport... and that was more a Documentary than anything really.

I have to say though, when it comes to the people who put themselves forward for these shows I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Everyone knows that a lot of these people are there to be laughed at, if someone is so stupid to think that wouldn't happen to them then they deserve whats coming to them I'm afraid.

True as well !!

I wish there could be another "Life On Mars". Proper loved that. Totally gripping. Need to get the box set of that.

You can't really call TOWIE 'Reality' either, seeing as it's more scripted than pro-wrestling... I suspect the other shows it's spawned and the US equivalents are the same.

Can someone clarify this for me. When TOWIE (or as Jimmy Car says, its not the only way, there is a better way) started, was it not meant to be a bit of a piss take? That was my understanding to begin with because the trailers at least made it all out to look a bit stereotypical. When did it start to be accepted as an entertainment program and its "stars" classed as "celebs"? It really does worry me that there are people out there who think this sort of show is something to aspire to, and believe me I know someone who is under the dilusion that it is the height of glamour.

I don't know to be honest, I just know it's as scripted as WWE Raw, or any 'news' item featuring celebro-attention-whore Jordan...

Life on Mars was brilliant, as was the sequel, Ashes To Ashes. Then we have Sherlock, We'll Take Manhattan was brilliant too (and set in Viv's late youth), showed what Karen Gillan can really do :)

I just wish they had kept this sort of bilge for across the atlantic. Its bad enough we get a lot of their nonsense pumped into our houses on the likes of E4 and no doubt the various Sky/Virgin channels, we don't need to start making our own versions of it all. Don't wanna sound all anti-American etc but God they know how to make some truly dreadful tv and unfunny comedy.

I hate reality shows also, absolute cheap crap TV. But if idiots keep watching them then they'll keep making them. Surely there can't be many more people to showcase out there anymore for crap factor and other 'talent' shows. Then there's all the ones on Sky also.

The only one I like to watch if you can call it reality, more like a competition really, is Come Dine With Me and that's only because of the narrator.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

That is what I always say... How many ways are there of presenting the same thing before the bubble bursts. from programmes about giving birth (don't wanna see that), to towie ... It never stops. i like "come dine with me" coz of the sarcastic voiceover man (sure it is doovde), but don't like the celebrity version.

The towie stuff is beyond any kind of joke. And look how mills has even wound up. Rolling out of the sugar hut in a john travolta shiny suit, straight into the gutter.

Everything that's in the media today is a reality show sadly. Think about it, even Ozzie Osborne was in Reality TV for a while... I don't blame Mills, he's still nothing compared to the entire Britain's Got Shitty Celebrity contest...