Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 and the elections

E*F*4L

found this on the bbc site

"Radio 1 and the general election"

The range and depth of the BBC's election coverage is impressive. It's something we BBC journalists are naturally proud of - but for some of our viewers, listeners and readers this is a clear case of overkill.

Some of Radio 1's young listeners have been expressing their opinions in a powerful and robust way - Steve texted to say "I won't be voting".

Apathy among young voters is nothing new to us - but the reasons have changed from five years ago. He continues "...politicians are only interested in lining their own pockets...I can't see the point in electing self-serving, lying, cheats".

Apathy turning to Anger. Still a month to go. Blimey.

We're doing our bit to engage audiences who want something less intense than rolling minute-by-minute coverage of press conferences and appearances, live TV debates and deep analysis.

Our research shows many of our young listeners are intimidated by some of the basics - how to register to vote? What to do when confronted with a ballot paper and booth - a black box and a pencil.

Luckily, first time voter and glamour model 23 year old Peta Todd, helped us out: Jamelia, Tinchy Stryder and Ricky Whittle have been telling us what they'd do if they were PM - and we've been checking the low visual recognition of Britain's top politicians with young people courtesy of Radio 1 DJ Greg James.

It is possible to have a sense of humour at election time. It's also right to be serious.

Our panel of first-time voters are ready to ask party leaders tough questions and keep our journalism relevant to their needs.

Our mission at Radio 1 is to engage those who want to debate the issues but wouldn't normally have the means, access or know-how to be able to do so.

One of our challenges during the coming weeks will be to balance election news with very many other interesting and important but not election-related stories.

And that's one cause of annoyance with audiences. "Too much on the election - we're bored already!"

Looking through our social networking friends comments, Steve's theme is developed and repeated. "Money grabbing... lies... you can't trust a politician" - words and phrases that come up again and again.

Of course, citizens' cynicism for politicians is nothing new. There was plenty around in Gladstone and Disraeli's day and it stretches further back to Walpole and beyond but some might argue that cynicism increases with age and political disillusionment.

A selection of young voters beaming hopefully out of the page of one of the broadsheets this morning is a stark contrast to our own experience.

Andy "Woody" Woods Facebooked us:

"Why does it matter who you vote for, it just seems like they go back on their word and lie anyway, in the long run all parties attempt to solve all issues only in a different order and different ways."

With first-time voter turnout at the last election at 37% and maybe more than half of "virgin voters" not registered this time round, we could well see a drop in that figure.

We'll soon have the results of our latest First Time voters poll which will give us some fresh insights into the changing - and still disconnected - world of many young Britons. I'll blog again when we've seen the results.

Rod McKenzie is editor of Newsbeat and 1Xtra News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2010/04/radio_1_and_the_general_electi.html

i haven't heard anything on radio-1 about the election other than what they say in the news.

:)

i have not seen the facebook voting page thingy either & i'm not really sure its the way to go either.

again today there has been no politics on R1 other than on Newsbeat, bit disappointed R1 has a large student listener-base & i would have thought it would be important to them so it seems strange why R1 are doing so little.

i know some people will moan if there is to much politics stuff on R1 but its only once every five years, i don't think that the top party members should be interviewed on shows or anything so Gordon, David or Nick can make fools of themselves by pretending to be all cool by saying they like Lady GaGa etc, however there are a lot of younger people involved with the party's in their early twenties that are closer to the listeners age so why not get some of them in, i'm sure a fifteen minute space can be found in the daytime to have a quick discussion about questions that have been put forward by listeners (online) & have the young party members answer them or give their views.

interesting to see what the Radio-1 people think, in regards to the amount of election stuff on R1, if any of them are viewing this ?

You can't integrate election talk into the course of normal shows. There is not a single DJ on the station who could hold together a decent discussion on such a topic. You'd have to go the way of having a Newsbeat special and getting proper journalists in to hold it together.

You can't integrate election talk into the course of normal shows. There is not a single DJ on the station who could hold together a decent discussion on such a topic. You'd have to go the way of having a Newsbeat special and getting proper journalists in to hold it together.

Alistair Darling's in with Westwood on Saturday night, George Osbourne will be on Fearne's show on Friday:hahaha:

In all seriousness I agree partly with what your saying, in the sense I wouldn't expect Scott to start discussing the economy in between OWO and the PR4L, but I think they could have a specific party political broadcast, although I do think there are a few DJ's who could hold together a decent discussion. I'm sure they've all been on commercial music stations (Absolute?), but it would be completely different in an election period. I'm sure Brown and Cameron would be desperate for the chance to go on Moyles for example, not because of the debate but because they'll be speaking to millions of impressionable first time voters and I think Chris would do a good job but because were into the election period they'd have to have all three and it would be turning it into a political show which it isn't and the team probably don't know how to handle political interviews (like having to give exactly the same airtime, asking the same sort of questions etc.).

Alan - there's always been newsbeats where listeners have been able to ask politicians, I'm sure they'll do something before the election.

Alistair Darling's in with Westwood on Saturday night, George Osbourne will be on Fearne's show on Friday:hahaha:

In all seriousness I agree partly with what your saying, in the sense I wouldn't expect Scott to start discussing the economy in between OWO and the PR4L, but I think they could have a specific party political broadcast, although I do think there are a few DJ's who could hold together a decent discussion. I'm sure they've all been on commercial music stations (Absolute?), but it would be completely different in an election period. I'm sure Brown and Cameron would be desperate for the chance to go on Moyles for example, not because of the debate but because they'll be speaking to millions of impressionable first time voters and I think Chris would do a good job but because were into the election period they'd have to have all three and it would be turning it into a political show which it isn't and the team probably don't know how to handle political interviews (like having to give exactly the same airtime, asking the same sort of questions etc.).

Alan - there's always been newsbeats where listeners have been able to ask politicians, I'm sure they'll do something before the election.

hmm the newsbeat ones are a bit to short i think, no way should Gordon, David or Nick be on Moyles way to much of a publicity stunt & its the wrong time of the day i think for it, i know UM members may not like it but 15-20 mins in Scot's show maybe after 6pm (i know you lot will all :rolleyes: ) but Edith is good at interviewing.

hmm the newsbeat ones are a bit to short i think, no way should Gordon, David or Nick be on Moyles way to much of a publicity stunt & its the wrong time of the day i think for it, i know UM members may not like it but 15-20 mins in Scot's show maybe after 6pm (i know you lot will all :rolleyes: ) but Edith is good at interviewing.

Why not just have the newsbeat journalists doing it and have an extended newsbeat from, say 5.45-6.15? Although I agree Edith is good at interviewing :)

Actually i did at one point think it was him :P

wouldn't be the first time ol Gord has told a lie, would it ;)

Anyways, I think deep down we all know it was actually The Stig that did it, in an effort to make Eastenders cooler by having a crossover with Top Gear.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...