Unofficial Mills

Toilet Twinning has an important message

Wendy Nelson

Hi Scott!:):)

Thanks for the mention of the World's first Toilet Twinning campaign-- potty idea but deadly serious message!

Twinners from 12 different countries have now twinned their loos with a latrine deep in the African bush.... weve got prisons, schools, cathedrals, fire stations, dental surgeries, offices,football stadium ( The Ricoh)offices ( including the Royal Society of Arts- get us!)and umpteen smallest rooms in homes from Palermo to the South Sea Islands..

We've got Corinne Bailey Rae backing the campaign-and Thomas Crapper signed up his showroom toilets.....

Twinners get the certificate to display with the map coordinates to see their twin on Google earth..

2.6 billion people dont have a loo... and every 17 seconds a child dies from diorrheal diseases.... in Nairobi you have to watch out for flying stink bombs- poo wrapped in plastic bags and chucked anywhere as people relieve themselves on the streets.......

For more yucky and funny stuff visit www.toilettwinning.org

Every twinning helps a family of 6 to have their own toilet- to enjoy better health, go to school and to work- and for the women/girls somewhere private to relieve themselves.

Just a word about the politics- Millennium Goal for sanitation wont be met until the 22ND CENTURY- that's 100 years' too late! Yet sorting sanitation first and foremost in coping with poverty is absolute basic stuff, a no brainer.:(:(

Without wanting to seem to oversimplify matters, basic sanitation for all would go a long way towards helping cure many of the world's ills it seems to me. And this is actually a clever campaign - making something a 'bit of a laugh' for us to do that also benefits others is something that's worked very well for Comic Relief and the good work they've done over the years...

Working for the public sector, I don't have much chance to use any influence to get corporate money into this - but if I worked for a private firm I'd definitely lobby for some investment in this. Gives people a wry smile while also doing some good.