Unofficial Mills

2016 Power Intros

Ant L

They've started using new IDs more often now - Dev in particular seems keen, but I also heard on Clara's show this morning. Sounds like the main male voice is the one who sounds like a cross between Chris Eubank and Andi Peters. Not a fan to be honest. I preferred Mike Wooller.

Ok so I said I would do one and here it is, This is a mashup of imaging from the past few months! 

Items such as Power Intros, General Idents, Chart of the Year and there's even a Trail in there! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fghtz9gz1q7lkw/BBC Radio 1 Imaging Mashup 2016-2017.mp3?dl=0

Hope you all had a good christmas and here's to a Happy New Year! :D

Just heard a Live Lounge trail on Cel's show with the new voiceovers and there was an "Official Chart of the Year" sting on Dev's show the other day with the new male voiceover. Most of the beds now have new IDs on them now too. Surely it would make sense to launch it properly tomorrow for the new year, the launch of "Jan Slam" and the arrival of Mistajam. Having said that, the changeover of voices has taken so long and been so all over the place that I'm not sure- also seems weird to launch a new sound when the schedule's changed around and the two flagship show presenters are off. We shall see....

5 hours ago, murste said:

also seems weird to launch a new sound when the schedule's changed around and the two flagship show presenters are off. We shall see....

You say that, but the current NewsBeat launched when Grimmy and Greg were off last year, as well as "Where It Begins". It appears anything goes in terms of imaging at the moment haha!

They're certainly dragging this out, last time took a whole day, at this rate it's going to take a whole year :P

That aside though, these past few days I've been thinking the amount of Power Intro usage is a bit OTT, or is that just me? Dev started with a new TOH yesterday and continued to play songs with normal Idents between them for at least the first half an hour, and I thought it sounded better! 

3 hours ago, forde52 said:

That aside though, these past few days I've been thinking the amount of Power Intro usage is a bit OTT, or is that just me? Dev started with a new TOH yesterday and continued to play songs with normal Idents between them for at least the first half an hour, and I thought it sounded better! 

I'd agree with you there - power intros tend to make the playlist sound more repetitive, even if they're not. I think the first song at the TOH and BOH would suffice, then do manual segues into the second song. That's what they used to do with the 1tros (although I think back then the segues were premixed).

Also, a great anorak tip: Dev's shows are always goldmines for idents and sweepers. He tends to play the new ones, and his segues are usually quite sloppy so there's a bit of a gap between the end of the ID and the start of the song - result: the latest clean jingles in full. 

12 hours ago, OohErr said:

I think the first song at the TOH and BOH would suffice, then do manual segues into the second song. That's what they used to do with the 1tros (although I think back then the segues were premixed).

See now with NewsBeat being on the half hour as apposed to the TOH it throws this out a bit because I would have the TOH ID after the news, but the news isn't at the TOH (unless it's the 15min).

So i'd have a TOH ID at the TOH, maybe follow that with a Power Intro or usual DJ/Show IDs. And then out of the news have a DJ/Show ID that flows into a Power Intro because they all say BBC Radio 1 anyway (similar to what they did with Gregs shows, but so much better). 

10 hours ago, forde52 said:

NewsBeat

*Newsbeat, sorry, been getting on my nerves 

10 hours ago, forde52 said:

out of the news have a DJ/Show ID that flows into a Power Intro

Great idea but only if met with meticulous production, i.e. pre-edited and not slopped over the top. It sounds so obvious when it is. 

12 hours ago, forde52 said:

See now with NewsBeat being on the half hour as apposed to the TOH it throws this out a bit because I would have the TOH ID after the news, but the news isn't at the TOH (unless it's the 15min).

So i'd have a TOH ID at the TOH, maybe follow that with a Power Intro or usual DJ/Show IDs. And then out of the news have a DJ/Show ID that flows into a Power Intro because they all say BBC Radio 1 anyway (similar to what they did with Gregs shows, but so much better). 

Am I being really stupid....but what is TOH and BOH? Thanks in advance.

On 01/01/2017 at 10:58 PM, forde52 said:

You say that, but the current NewsBeat launched when Grimmy and Greg were off last year, as well as "Where It Begins". It appears anything goes in terms of imaging at the moment haha!

The Where It Begins slogan came in 2015, as did the current Newsbeat theme.

Think I've found a great Mike a Wooller intro, here.

On 05/01/2017 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Pannell said:

The Where It Begins slogan came in 2015, as did the current Newsbeat theme.

Think I've found a great Mike a Wooller intro, here.

where exactly please?

Thanks for the timings. I like the intro, not amazing but i do prefer these two voices to the 'Chris Eubank/Andi Peters' sounding man.  Too much production can sound a bit gimicky i feel.

Capes :)