Unofficial Mills

Would you become a Nurse?

John

Weird topic is this but its something i was talking about briefly in work today, would you want to go into this type of work knowing the stats of the numbers of dcotors and and NHS carers been attacked on the job? 8 out of 10 nurses have been attacked in some form in the last year. Would that put you off if you was interested in becoming a nurse or a doctor or just a general carer?

take control

Probably not because I've seen how overworked lots of nurses on wards etc. are recently...

Amen to that, and the staff shortage is getting deeper as well. The attacks on A&E staff are mainly from drunks and people on drugs. The attacks on the actual wards are from dementia patients who are basically lost and its almost an instinct

take control

There is too many men in suits in hospitals my dad reckons. Walking around doing nothing, thats what he he sees anyway when he goes there to fit x-ray lead lined protection screens. Mabie get rid of some of them and get some more nurses and doctors in who do work...

on the grid.

Its not all its cracked up to be. I love my job alot and i like the people i work with, but the work load is heavy, and the expectations are very high as well. Linz, i can speak to you on MSN about it more, but what thinks put you off?

take control

I am a 3rd Year student nurse. All the time during my course I have questioned if I actually want to do the job I am training for. I can honestly say I still don't know. At the moment where I am there are no newly qualified jobs, so am looking on a wider scale, Or I might just move!

But the 700 odd people in my year are still going through with it. Nursing like any job can be stressful, Before I started my training my background was in customer service, Call centres and cash processing. It was a massive shock to my system, I too doubted it but I can assure you things get better the more you progess in your training (except my english!) Being a 1st year sucks you feel like a spare part but once you get through your first placement it gets more interesing :)

Happy to answer any questions :)

Discoduck :)

I've worked with many many students as an auxilarry and the 1st year is usually a tough year for a student because you are learning just basic nursing skills, but the only way to get recognised and to get the experience is to muck in and get your hands dirty just like the regular staff do because that is what you will be doing in 3 years time when you qualify

take control