Unofficial Mills

Happy Thanksgiving, Unofficial Mills!

phoenix

So today is the American holiday Thanksgiving, which is a day where you are supposed to have a huge meal with all your family. Tomorrow is Black Friday.

Black Friday is the biggest day for retail out of the whole year, because everybody goes Christmas shopping. Most stores open at 5 am, there are huge lines and stampedes, completely packed stores, even fistfights. Last year some people died at Walmart when they were trampled, it made the national news. I know someone who has worked retail on Black Friday and seen fights in the store. All the stores have big sales. I go shopping on this day and I have never seen a fight, but I hear it happens.

I was just wondering what you UKers think of this.

http://www.black-friday.net/

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday-Store-Hours

myspace.com/phoenixstarr21

So we don't have Black Friday here (UK), but most people have days off in the month before Christmas to do their shopping, all schools + teachers have a day off at least.

For everyone to go shopping on this one day will have good and bad points. Loads of money for the shops, but to have that amount of people all squashed together is just a bad idea (for the reasons you have said) wouldn't a weekend be better?

+ We have had stampedes when shops open for big sales and loads of people want to get bargains :)

Y4Ar5.png

I am very happy that it is Thanksgiving today because my bitchy colleague, who happens to be an American, took the day off, so I didn't have to put up with her all day.

I think everyone going shopping on the same day is bound to be a bad idea. I'd much rather shop on a quiet evening when the shops are open late night.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Thought they would make it easier to get to this event. There's been no communication from the council or organisers about travel, even though there's talk of train strikes. Smaller councils have done a better job. 
    • They do sound good together, but I'm not sure Rylan will want the extra commitments. 
    • I have accepted Chris is unlikely to join Scott's show, and that Chappers has moved on, but I still think he could do with a co-host. The most logical solution, I think, is Rylan. He appears more often on his show than not, and they are great together. Radio 2 could lose Rylan's Saturday show and extend his reach by appearing during the week. I think they'd be great!
    • Tattoo took a while to grow on me. I couldn't see the fuss until weeks after. We have a split household here where the war on Gaza is overshadowing an enjoyment. I'm hoping for a protest of some sort. 
    • I've heard that the staging is very impressive.  That and him being "known" might prevent an embarrassing result.  I'm a terrible judge of Eurovision though as Tattoo is still so very meh to me.
    • Feels like after the success of Sam Ryder we are going back to our old ways. Olly Alexander's song is pretty weak. Anyone fancy our chances this year? 
    • The more time goes on the more you think if they'd actually put some thought into it it should've been Vick & Katie from the start. A proven pairing and Katie ended up on the show anyway - whereas Katie's even mentioned she was only asked to join after the Jamie announcement And even by Going Home standards on time off, it's quite funny that a few months in we still haven't had a full week of the supposed line-up - and that's with a 4-day week.  
    • I heard something about what is your favourite wood? Wtf 😂
    • Was the same vibe on the Easter Monday show they did too. Just random questions and the like…. Katie is definitely the glue around making the show listenable. 
    • Vick and Jamie together are quite… awkward. Random discussion seems to be at an all time high without Katie. Maybe it’s just that there’s a lack of features today.
    • Jamie not even knowing about the big weekend day and the fact he starts the show at 14:00 just says everything.
    • I still haven’t forgiven Radio 1 for signing Laing. Vick and Jordan was good, you could hear the chemistry on air 
    • I just want to add though that I am beginning to enjoy the show a bit more now that it’s settled in - I think Jamie (when he’s there) has calmed down a bit and then the new features that have been progressively added over the last couple of weeks have been good too.    I still don’t think it’s a patch on Vick and Jordan together, but it is now a show that seems like it could have legs into the future and once Matt and Mollie start in July, I could see myself sticking with R1 all afternoon.
    • I think it’s a slimmer line-up and seems to fall short in previous years where it seemed almost double that I know Raye is booked to perform and is a headline name. I think the issue with a station like capital they are dealing with a rather lacklustre year for pop and theres no real big pulls for pop festivals that are an easy sell out right now. I think Capital has had seen it’s Capital Ball’s as for any generic pop music listener I don’t know whether Bradley Simpson, Aitch and Paul Russel have the universality to play in a stadium even Sugababes think it would be better if they chosen a smaller outdoor location or Wembley arena.
    • He's in bed sick today so not sure it will happen this weekend.