Unofficial Mills

Moyles' future "not secure"

Guest inxces4308

Guest inxces4308
MOYLES FUTURE NOT ASSURED

Apr 27, 2009 - Radio 1 deputy controller Ben Cooper has praised breakfast host Chris Moyles - but has refused to confirm whether he will still be presenting the show in a year's time.

Speaking at the Radio Reborn conference in London today, Cooper was asked about the Sun newspaper's claims that Moyles's contract would not be renewed.

"I'm always looking at the schedule, looking at changes. Pretty much every year there's tweaks and changes," he told delegates. "I'm always going to think about how to improve it."

Meanwhile, veteran broadcaster Paul Gambaccini, who was also at the conference, renewed his criticism of Moyles, who was reprimanded by Ofcom last month for broadcasting a parody song about pop star Will Young's sexuality.

Asked about Moyles's controversial comments, Gambaccini said: "There have been some disturbing statistics about bullying in schools. Young lads who were taunted at school for being gay. Moyles keeps on encouraging bullies, causing human suffering."

He added: "Chris is told to fill three and a half hours at a time when we don't have a lot of good new records. All the factors really are working against an artist who engages in what I call blog radio. You just open the mic."

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.4663

Gambaccini keep poking his nose in. I'm not surprised that Chris Evans is doing the Sony Radio Awards this year.

I don't agree with the premise of the article that Ben Cooper will be moving Moyles before July next year. Maybe after that point but not before then which I think we can accept.

perhaps moyles will take over breakfast weekends from grimmy,this way doesn't leave the breakfast show and does'nt get sacked

Really can't see that happeneing. It's such a demotion and Moyles wouldn't do it. Plus they usually want a more easy going presenter on the Weekend Breakfast for all the hangovers

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

The Guardian add a bit more scope to the article. They say his future isn't secure but this would be at the time his next contract allegedly runs out.

BBC Radio 1's deputy controller today stopped short of guaranteeing that breakfast DJ Chris Moyles would still be in the job in 12 months' time, saying he would be secure "so long as he keeps connecting with the young audience".
Ben also supports him and reassures his audience that he is a good presenter.
Ben Cooper defended Moyles against renewed criticism of the DJ by Paul Gambaccini, describing Moyles as "an excellent broadcaster who has made a couple of mistakes in five-and-a-half years on breakfast".

"Make sure that you keep listening and you will find out by listening every day," was Cooper's non-committal reply.

Pressed further, Cooper said: "We have got contracts to negotiate … I think he is a very good broadcaster and I want him to stay on breakfast so long as he keeps connecting with the young audience we want him to."

On whether Moyles still connected with Radio 1's target audience, Cooper added: "I am always looking at changes. Over the last five years pretty much every year we have had tweaks and changes. I am always going to be looking at the schedule and how it can be improved. I am passionate about Radio 1 and I want it to sound its best for a young audience."

In response to Gambicini he responded:
Cooper responded: "Moyles is a lightning rod. He divides people – like Marmite, you either love him or you hate him. Luckily for Radio 1 the young audience tends to love him.

"These labels are very good shorthand for newspapers to sell copy. In the days of 24-hour news, newspapers are looking for campaigns and opinion pieces; people like Moyles will attract press.

"Now if Chris says something you can take it out of context, cut it out, send it on emails to all sorts of groups of people with all sorts of opinions very different to those of the people who listen to the show and it has a momentum of its own.

"We are in a very different culture but we have to respond to that culture. Moyles has to walk a very tight line and he does very well most days."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/27/chris-moyles-breakfast-ben-cooper-backing

I think this is fair enough the BBC don't usually discuss future plans and contracts and this is no different. Who knows what will happen in the next year. We all know Moyles will go sometime and after seven years would make sense. It's just if he went in September this year I would be disappointed. It's also good to see him standing up for Chris.

Who made Paul bl**dy Gambaccini the 'Guardian of all that is right and good in the world'?

Has he basically accused Chris Moyles of having caused the deaths of two young girls?

No, he hasn't. I've taken that comment out of context and given my own spin on it, as most people are capable of doing when they are presented with information out of context.

The Auschwitz comment that Gambaccini was complaining about a couple of months back was a perfect example of this. A well place and witty remark about the production values of a television show was taken out of context and portrayed as an attack on Jewish people the world over.

I'm highly supportive of Moyles. Chris and the team always wake me up with a laughing the morning and long may it continue.

I do agree that one day, he'll have to go, as you don't want another DLT situation forming at Radio 1. But as Ben Cooper said, as long as he continues to connect with the audience, what's the problem?