Unofficial Mills

What's Swindon like?

Jono

Uh well to be honest theres not really a great deal here......

its famous for its ridiculous amount of roundabouts and the magic roundabout which is one big roundabout with 5 miniture roundabouts around it. Other than that theres not anything spectacular about it !! Just a normal little town

(oh and it has the uks highest teen pregnancy rate lmao)

Uh well to be honest theres not really a great deal here......

its famous for its ridiculous amount of roundabouts and the magic roundabout which is one big roundabout with 5 miniture roundabouts around it. Other than that theres not anything spectacular about it !! Just a normal little town

(oh and it has the uks highest teen pregnancy rate lmao)

I saw a picture of the magic roundabout, very smart design I think.

Has Swindon had any other large events in the past?

The music scene is amazing! There's lots of local unsigned talent who will hopefully discovered by the BBC Introducing Team soon. There's a nice community in the music scene too, with bands, promoters, DJs, venues etc all chipping in to help each other out. The Oasis Leisure Centre has also started to attract big names on tour: The Enemy, Paul Weller, The Ting Tings and Motorhead all visit soon!

I think Swindon is poorly perceived by people who've not been there. It's a big town (bigger than some cities). It has a pretty poor football team, but that's not the main criteria to judge the place on. As I've said previously, it has a thriving Arts & Culture scene which hopefully will be more recognised with the involvement of Radio1's Big Weekend.

We're very lucky in Swindon in that our council is actively looking to push the boundaries where the arts are concerned. A recent campaign "Swindon Does Arts" was launched and I'm sure it's going to be a big success.

I think comparing it to the likes of Bath or Oxford is unfair as it has a different history and the architecture isn't generally in the same league as the aforementioned cities. But look deeper into a town enriched with history surrounding the industrial revolution (centered around the railways) and you will find a town that is buzzing at the moment.

It may come across as looking through rose-tinted glasses, but that's how I feel about the place. I moved in here in 1994 (aged 18) and I've loved the place ever since...

Come on, Swindon is a bit of a shed... it's faceless, soulless and concrete.

Lydiard park is quite nice mind. A good venue - just stay out of the town centre. When your major tourist attraction is a cockeyed roundabout, you know there's something wrong with your town...

Yeah don't understand the big deal with roundabouts.

The roundabout is easy as anything, just got to take each roundabout as it comes, i think swindon is like every single town, theres good parts and bad parts, nice people, good night out (sometimes @ liquid), but yeah horrible stereotype. Its a nice place

Facts: In May 2007 65.3% of households in Swindon had broadband Internet access, the highest in the UK, up 5.5% from June 2006

The town has a live music scene, venues such as The Beehive, Riffs Bar, The 12 Bar and The Victoria attract local acts as well as touring national acts and host Swindon's annual music festival the Swindon Shuffle. The Oasis Leisure Centre (where the band oasis got there name) and the County Ground (elton john and bryan adams heve played here) are also used for some of the more major events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon