Unofficial Mills

american radio is so bad

LJ123456

I have talked to some of you who enjoy opie and anthony. Unfortunately - if you havent heard they won't be on terrestrial radio any longer.

Perhaps there is some site where you can hear their radio show. I think it will continue to be on XM in the states. not sure. Someone around here should hve the link. I prefer to listen to different types of radio programmes but it looks like the station, 92.3 krock is going to turn into a capital radio style station.

I guess they're looking for a battle with z100...

in 2004 i took a little venture into american radio and stumbled across wtmx chicago. they're a bit like heart fm over here but they don't play so much old stuff, possibly more like capital in london or brmb in birmingham. eric and kathy used to be on breakfast back then but i haven't tuned in for a good year at the least.

on the grid.

• 3 weeks later...

I kept this thread in the back of my mind when I went on my recent US holiday. Never did I expect it to be as bad as suggested. We had on 95.3 Orlando's number 1 for hip hop and they literally only have 3 songs and its just repeated all day with a few randoms thrown in. All the other stations were the same... if I hear "you spin me right round baby right round" or "my poker ker ker ker face" again, I think I will probably go crazy!!

Guest inxces4308
I kept this thread in the back of my mind when I went on my recent US holiday. Never did I expect it to be as bad as suggested. We had on 95.3 Orlando's number 1 for hip hop and they literally only have 3 songs and its just repeated all day with a few randoms thrown in. All the other stations were the same... if I hear "you spin me right round baby right round" or "my poker ker ker ker face" again, I think I will probably go crazy!!

Ha, i suggest you take a break from radio in the UK too!

The main thing about US radio is that they only expect people to listen to 10/20 mins, therefore they rotate the songs alot faster.

If you do only listen for 10/20 mins a day then you dont notice it because you get to hear songs you like.

In the UK they expect people to listen fo a little longer or have the radio on at work more, etc...

The worst part is a lot of US top 40 stations speed up the music. I've been listening to the new top 40 station in New York and at least the presenters are interesting and aren't lame like z100. Nothing makes me more angry than z100 in a car (when I'm forced to be in one).

I can also listen to UK radio for hours on end. I love the Stephen Merchant show. I miss the Russell Brand show. Adam and Joe are mint too!

Guest inxces4308
The worst part is a lot of US top 40 stations speed up the music. I've been listening to the new top 40 station in New York and at least the presenters are interesting and aren't lame like z100. Nothing makes me more angry than z100 in a car (when I'm forced to be in one).

I can also listen to UK radio for hours on end. I love the Stephen Merchant show. I miss the Russell Brand show. Adam and Joe are mint too!

Which stations speed up the music? Z100 definitely do not.

Have you listened to what is now called 'Now FM' or something. It used to be K-Rock. Listened to it last week and it was awful, they sped up some of the music and branded themselves as being just like Z100. They where nothing like it, much worse.

I record Z100 and just listen back to the production, etc. If I lived in NY all the time I dont think I could listen to it all the time because of the heavy rotation but as i've said before they only expect people to listen for 10-15mins a day. If you do then you are always going to hear your favorite songs.

And, ofcourse you only listen to Z100 if you like that kind of pop culture, dancey and celeb focused sh*t.

I love the station but dont listen to it in the same way that alot of listeners will. I dont care about the music. I also tend to only listen to Radio 1 for Moyles and the rest of the production.

Hey you, I sent you a PM. Anyway, It's true. I don't really like that sort of radio, top 40 since I'm the type that can listen to xfm and radio 1 for hours on end. I like that eclectic variety. I never paid attention to the production, but if you do work in audio production it is definetely a great idea to hear what other successful radio stations are doing. In the USA, z1oo's annual revenue is a little over $60 million and they're always in the top ten highest billing stations of North America.

Your arguement is logical and I do respect it. It's hard to get separate personal radio tastes sometimes. It's just really frustrating to be in the a city like New York and not have a radio station that supports the music I like.

Last week I saw La Roux, late of the pier, and the whip in Brooklyn and i was on air.