Unofficial Mills

Chris Moyles - All Day Breakfast

Guest inxces4308

Although I'll grudgingly admit there is a lot of Moyles content that is very funny, I do think it's lazy programming to be honest. I'd prefer a mix of 'best of' sections from all the shows - moving things around so people get exposure to shows they don't normally listen to...

12 hours of Moyles (or anyone else for that matter) isn't something I can stick with.

:yeahthat: Sorry Aled, I know you have worked really hard on this, and it's been well put together, but I basically feel the whole concept of having 12 hours of one single DJ is flawed and a bit dull. I'm criticising the idea as opposed to the execution of it.

As I said on the SB earlier, much as I love the chap, I wouldn't even relish 12 hours of Scott.

Anything good on telly today?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only one who think the guests aren't actually that strong a bit of the show? Some exceptions, the Gordon Ramsey and his wife story was absolutely brilliant, some other ones that have popped up, but I just don't like the 'guestfest' podcasts or the LA week. Might just be who I actually give a toss about.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

Hey guys, with all due respect some of you are kinda missing the point of the 12 hour show.

New Year's Day isn't a ratings winner so it's not worth putting your heavy hitters on, but what audience there is are more likely to be people who don't regularly listen - different routines probably revolved around travelling to family / friends. So a great opportunity to introduce them to Chris Moyles and for the show to make new listeners. People won't be in offices listening to 8 hours they'd be more likely to hear 15 mins - an hour tops - so what better than put as much of our strongest material on all day so no matter what time they dip in and out there should be something funny.

It's not really designed for 12 hours of listening BUT if you ARE that much of a fan it should be entertaining because you'll hear your best memories. AND it's a great way of introducing new people to the podcasts. Plus the 5 year message is a great opportunity to remind people how big the show has been and how long it's lasted. All at a quiet press time.

Guest inxces4308

Thanks for uploading the rest of the running orders Aled! Nice to know which bits to look out for....

http://www.aled.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I've enjoyed what i've heard of the show today but as mentioned before my only criticism is the lack of material from the early years....i wasen't a listener back then and was looking forward to hearing some of it. I know how much work you/others have to put into making the shows so its not a dig at you.

We did 10 Best of Packages so it depends when you listen. The running order doesn't show them because they were the things that took the longest so went in last but they'll be at around the 35 past the hour generally. 7 - 10 had already gone out for Easter so we mainly worked on the Best of packages for after this section. So there'll be more best of packages from here till the end at 7

:yeahthat: Sorry Aled, I know you have worked really hard on this, and it's been well put together, but I basically feel the whole concept of having 12 hours of one single DJ is flawed and a bit dull. I'm criticising the idea as opposed to the execution of it.

As I said on the SB earlier, much as I love the chap, I wouldn't even relish 12 hours of Scott.

Anything good on telly today?

I think the execution has been the flaw, rather than the idea. I know it's a broken record as I mention him constantly, but Howard Stern is currently running a "History of Howard Stern" series, which is currently at 15 episodes of 4-hour shows which covers a year each time. True, he has far more content (20-plus years worth) but he's also been smart enough to split it, to offer insight into each moment, guest covered, and even bring in some guests to give their side of the story for certain events.

In contrast, this has been a 12 hour block of one full year. There's been very little in the way of celebrating a "birthday" and from what I've skimmed over, it's grazed the first four years and put all its efforts into arguably one of the weaker years of the breakfast show. Nothing new seems to have been added and it just sounds like a "Best Of Our Podcasts" show. 12 hours is plenty of time to cover 5 years of a show without rushing it.

It's still fun to remind myself of the good radio I heard all year, but it could have been so much more. I think I just expected far more than I should have.

I thought from the trailers it was a celebration of the best of the last 5 years? granted, i've not been listening to absolutely everything this afternoon but this morning i was and I'm dipping in and out while tending to an injured girlfriend and I've only heard stuff from the last year. Were the trailers meaning that 2008 was the best year and it would be highlights of that or did I misinterperate what was said?

Not impressed with censorship

Yes, I guess I'd agree with the last few posters too. As I've said it has been enjoyable and I've actually listened since I got up (even if that was 11am!)

But... the thing is with the best of packages is that they're just a quick dabble into the occasions. For example with World Cup/Euro Portugal. The bed was still playing in the background, if I recall, which shows how short the package was. It wasn't like the other clips from 2008 where you get the bed, and it fades out, because it is a long link.

I would agree in respect of celebrating five years the show failed to do that. But for those looking for the best of 2008 it has done it well.

Perhaps the show should have spent the morning looking back at the year, and the rest of the day looking at the past five. Sure it would mean missing a lot out but a lot has been missed out anyway through this approach.

It's difficult choosing what should be in and what shouldn't. You got stuff like Newquay and LA which was arguably a big part of 2008. But it didn't, in my opinion, stick out as a big moment for me. You got a lot of the soundclash in the Newquay package which maybe could have been time used elsewhere.

I bet there is more people who would rather hear the past five years than just 2008. New listeners will get a chance to hear stuff they missed, old listeners will get a chance to recap 'the golden days' and even newer listeners will get an insight into the finest moments.

Anyway, I digress, as Aled rightly says it's a good way to use a day that would be neglected by many listeners. But I think perhaps it shouldn't have been advertised as the best of the past five years in trails and synopsises as it hasn't done that enough.

well I for 1 was looking forward to hearing all the things i'd missed over 2004 - 2007 because I've been listening to him throughout the last year at work in the mornings. looks like i'll have to just download all the podcasts i've missed then

Not impressed with censorship

I'm a new listener to Moyles this year, so it's nice to hear these highlights, some I have heard, others not. Some stuff from the other 4 years would have been nice to hear, but hey, I'm enjoying the bit I'm hearing as I dive in and out.

And plenty of podcasts to keep me going for a while, fantastic.

I was worried that they weren't going to do Lamb Bhuna, but it's in! Fantastic. One of my recent favourite bits.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

Guest inxces4308

The only montage i've heard thats new to me is 'Car Park Catchphrase'.......Some of the stuff in it has been brilliant so far.

I've also only started listening to moyles within this year.....Hopefully next year they may put some old material on-air.

I like Aleds comments about why they put Chris Moyles on all day...but i am still fascinated with the logic to all of the bbc and radio programming over the holiday period.

Where do the figures about nobody listening or watching come from?

I think that maybe a lot of people dont listen or watch because they are unimpressed at what is on offer? Today everything on tv or radio has been a repeat so Ive switched off!

Hey guys, with all due respect some of you are kinda missing the point of the 12 hour show.

New Year's Day isn't a ratings winner so it's not worth putting your heavy hitters on, but what audience there is are more likely to be people who don't regularly listen - different routines probably revolved around travelling to family / friends. So a great opportunity to introduce them to Chris Moyles and for the show to make new listeners. People won't be in offices listening to 8 hours they'd be more likely to hear 15 mins - an hour tops - so what better than put as much of our strongest material on all day so no matter what time they dip in and out there should be something funny.

It's not really designed for 12 hours of listening BUT if you ARE that much of a fan it should be entertaining because you'll hear your best memories. AND it's a great way of introducing new people to the podcasts. Plus the 5 year message is a great opportunity to remind people how big the show has been and how long it's lasted. All at a quiet press time.

Hey Aled, Wishing you a very Happy New Year and thanks for popping by.:)

I found your post a little contradictory though. First you say New Year's Day isn't a ratings winner, then that you think you should be exposing the Moyles show's stongest material. To whom, if there are presumably fewer listeners?

I don't think anyone is missing the point, and as others have said Moyles has more exposure than you could shake a stick at. The self-proclaimed 'Saviour of Radio 1' is upto his ears in flipping exposure! You are a professional and loyal producer, and as such would clearly be behind the idea of a whole day of Moyles... I merely feel, as has been mentioned previously, it would've been nice to have heard a few hours worth from various other Radio 1 DJs, who could also do with a little exposure.

post-4214-145327870155_thumb.jpg

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

It's gone all like the other site ;)

Also, is New Year's Day less listened to than Christmas Day (which aired six hours of live content to New Year's Day's zero)?

I think more people are laying in bed with hangovers on New Year's Day? With all the partying and New Year's Eve and all.

Whereas with Christmas Day most people are up early with the kids or getting the dinner ready and must have thought 'Scott's on I must listen to this' :D Like meeeeeeeeeee!

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I think more people are laying in bed with hangovers on New Year's Day? With all the partying and New Year's Eve and all.

Whereas with Christmas Day most people are up early with the kids or getting the dinner ready and must have thought 'Scott's on I must listen to this' :D Like meeeeeeeeeee!

But you surely put the radio on when you're in bed? I think you're more likely to get people travelling on New Year's Day. Fair enough that people will be listening on Christmas Day - I always do - but it's a little weird that out of the two days it was Christmas Day that got the live content because I imagine New Year's Day to be more listened to.