Unofficial Mills

Your Desert Island Discs

E*F*4L

Desert Island Discs invites castaways to choose eight pieces of music, a book (in addition to the Bible and the Complete Works of Shakespeare) and a luxury, you will also have a knife, water bottle (with access to fresh water) & a fire stick.

the term 'pieces of music' means a single track.

a book can include a collection ie, a trilogy, like 'lord of the rings'.

the luxury cannot be 'the internet' or anything that could make contact with others or allow for your escape, a speedboat/helicopter would be limited to certain confines also a ipod will only contain your eight pieces of music & not any more & the same for Playstation/dvd player etc you could have one but you can only have one game/dvd.

below is your new home :)

2600279867_2cd180f5e2.jpg

*my tracks are as follows;

All I Need - Air

Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead

Winter In July - Bomb The Base

Adiemus - Karl Jenkins & Miriam Stockley

Goddess On A Highway - Mercury Rev

The Master Plan - Oasis

Toccata & Fugue (D minor) JS Bach (played by Peter Hurford OBE)

Cafe De Mar - Energy 52

*my book would be;

The Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars & Blue Mars) - Kim Stanley Robinson

*my luxury is;

a telescope

:)

I think everyone on here is finding the prospect of choosing only eight tracks far too intimidating. I must say I have thought about this Desert Island Discs thing for many many years. I'm old enough. I simply cannot slash my list down to less than fifty - and even that causes me pain.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Do I absolutely have to have the Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare or can I swap them for something else...?

And I share Nati's view on this one, it would take me far too long to pick my eight songs. My list would definitely include at least one Muse song, and probably Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen as well. But it would take me ages to decide on the other 6. Same goes for the choice of book as well.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

well those are the official rules that Radio-4 use (i have added a knife, water bottle 'with access to fresh water' & a fire stick but removed the allowance of internet & dvd player & loads of games as it defeats the whole thing)

you can swap Bible for another religious book like the Quran, im not sure on the Shakespeare book though if a swap were to be allowed it would have to be for a book of equal historical significance.

i thought people would like this idea :( surly it cannot be that hard to only have 8 tracks ? i will allow 10 choices if you want :)

:)

If it was albums I'd be alright I think, but tracks is so much harder.

Still, I'll give it a go:

1. Radiohead - Karma Police

2. The Get Up Kids - Mass Pike

3. Brand New - Mix Tape

4. Savage Garden - Crash and Burn

5. Snow Patrol - Run

6. Bloc Party - Banquet

7. Maximo Park - Going Missing

8. Finger Eleven - Bones and Joints

Book: it would be one by Douglas Coupland, probably Generation X.

Luxury: my acoustic guitar (with endless supplies of spare strings)

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'