Unofficial Mills

Advertising plays dirty?

ali2098

Am I the only one to notice that adverts have gotten more competitive and now compare to other products?

For example. Huggies and Pampers have been doing it alot recent saying why theres is better than the other and Little Stars yoghurts have been doing it too!

Does anyone know why this is happened all of a sudden? New law?

There's a sign in my local Currys shop that says "We guarantee to beat Comet's prices"... Now surely that's basically stopping Comet from getting any business, as it's suggesting Currys will always be cheaper... That's playing dirty :P

The poster formerly known as Robbo

before they couldn't mention other brands in adverts, I believe that rule was removed a few months ago.

before they would say "better than the leading brand" now they name and shame

This is correct. However, a business is not allowed to say they are better than a competitor as this is classed as misleading and technically slander. Ever wondered why Carlsberg's slogan is "Probably the best beer in the world"? That is down to comparative advertising law

There's a sign in my local Currys shop that says "We guarantee to beat Comet's prices"... Now surely that's basically stopping Comet from getting any business, as it's suggesting Currys will always be cheaper... That's playing dirty :P

Yea but Comet have got Edith Bowman to save the day :P

I was in Currys.digital today (it'll always be Dixons to me) and there was a big sign next to one of the TVs saying "£10 cheaper than Argos" - at that point I thought "ooh I could go to Argos and get a cardreader" and it proved to be cheaper, so that advert kind of backfired for them.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'