Unofficial Mills

John Motson calls it a day

DC

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article4075734.ece

John Motson considers hanging up his sheepskin coat and retiring from BBC

Almost as unthinkable as a big tournament without England is one without John Motson, but the BBC’s voice of football is considering hanging up his sheepskin jacket before the next World Cup finals.

“There’s a fair chance it may be my last major tournament, yes,” he said. “I haven’t made a final decision about 2010 yet but it could well be.” Motson will be 63 next month and is a veteran of well over a thousand BBC commentaries. He joined Match of the Day in 1971 and became the broadcaster’s first-choice commentator in 1979.

Motson is excited about Euro 2008 despite England’s absence. “Obviously it’s different because you’re not reflecting the feelings of the England supporters but I look as it as a tournament I’ve got to prepare for. It makes no difference as to how much I enjoy the tournament or the challenge of doing the games,” he said.

“These tournaments have thrown up some very dramatic matches. There’s no reason to think that there won’t be at least one game that goes down in folklore. I can tell you several World Cups that I didn’t think were particularly good but I can’t tell you a European Championship that’s been an absolute flop. I don’t know why, it’s just a better tournament than the World Cup nearly every time. The players seem to have risen to the occasion more in the Euros.”

Proof that Motson can divorce patriotism from pleasure comes in his choice of favourite tournament: Euro 2000, remembered in this country for foul hooliganism and a foul by Phil Neville that cost Kevin Keegan’s side a place in the knockout stages.

“There was some terrific football played, a very exciting final,” Motson said. “And I thought 2004 was OK. There were some decent games.” Specific highlights from the past three decades? ”Michel Platini in 84 when he won it almost single-handedly, Paul Gascoigne’s goal against Scotland in ‘96 would stand out; the golden goal when France won it in 2000, when Italy thought they’d done it. Extraordinary night, that.”

Then there was Denmark winning Euro ’92 despite only entering the tournament as last-minute replacements for Yugoslavia, which led to a memorable slice of alliteration from Motson at the end of the final: “It’s delirious, it’s delightful, it’s Denmark!”

As for the games coming up: “Klaus-Jan Huntelaar of Holland is my own favourite for the golden boot. He’s scored so many goals in the Dutch league and I think he’s capable of doing it in a tournament.” And the winners? A less original choice: “Germany.”

a lot of people hate him but i don't think it will be the same when he goes. apparently he will still do the match of the day coverage for premier leauge games, but he's finished with the live england ones. i just can't stand that knob mark lawrenson who sits next to him now.

one of the best bits of commentry i remember watching from motson was when owen scored against brazil in the world cup in 2002.

the sheer disbelief in his voice was brilliant. at the fact that we managed to go a goal up against brazil with trevor sinclair, emile heskey, darius vassell and danny mills in the side. there's only 2 that's worth bothering with listening to now, clive tyldesley and martyn tyler. i don't think jonathan pearce and co quite fill the shoes on the beeb.

on the grid.

For me it's the fact that he seems to think theres about 35 people on the pitch, what with all the different pronunciations he comes out with... Plus he gets players mixed up - Silva and Senna, when they look completely different.

I don't think the BBC's commentary is particularly good, but I prefer watching them over ITV 'cos of Alan Hansen and the other pundits... Sky's got a good group as well though

The poster formerly known as Robbo

He should have retired a few years ago. he isn't as good as he was.

Although it says he wont do live games, he wouldn't be able to anyway as the BBC have no Live games from next season (as they have lost the rights to the England games and the F.A cup to ITV). So he wouldn't be doing any live games anyway.

"Just one more game, I promise"

all fell into place for him then. i think if anything he was looking at the next world cup, and i see his point about his age and travelling all around africa at 65. i hope itv at least use clive tyldesley for the england games, and tyler for them on sky (they do anyway even for the highlights). however he goes on about retiring and all that, consider that martyn tyler is the same age...

on the grid.

all fell into place for him then. i think if anything he was looking at the next world cup, and i see his point about his age and travelling all around africa at 65. i hope itv at least use clive tyldesley for the england games, and tyler for them on sky (they do anyway even for the highlights). however he goes on about retiring and all that, consider that martyn tyler is the same age...

Sky wont be showing England games either ITV and Setanta have the rights. Good thing about Live games on the BBC is the red button stuff e.g F.A cup have all the goals via red button at any time of the day for the whole weekend and also you can switch to the 5 live commentry, will we get that with ITV, probably not

"Just one more game, I promise"

Sky wont be showing England games either ITV and Setanta have the rights. Good thing about Live games on the BBC is the red button stuff e.g F.A cup have all the goals via red button at any time of the day for the whole weekend and also you can switch to the 5 live commentry, will we get that with ITV, probably not

i can't stand setanta commentry, it's as bad as the pro evo games. i'll miss motty badly becuase pearce isn't close, not yet. no martin tyler on england games is well crap and i bet itv will spread the commentry around, meaning we will get rookies and clive tyldesley will only get 1/3 of the games.

on the grid.