Unofficial Mills

Fancy dress day and mufti weeks?

Jono

Have you had one at work? You'd be lucky to get more than three people to dress up in fancy dress at my supermarket. A fancy dress week seems a bit extreme though.

On a side note, I can't believe Scott's never heard of the term "mufti"...

I missed the show this morning, but I have never heard of the term "mufti" myself. What is it?

It's just dressing up in your own clothes. We always had 'mufti' days at school until they renamed it 'wear your own clothes day'. As opposed to someone else's?

Ahh I see. We just had "non-uniform" day, where you had to pay £1 for the privilege of not wearing your uniform. When I started the school, that £1 went to charity. When I was in about year 9 or 10, they changed it so that 50p went to charity and the other 50p went to the school, which I thought was a bit ridiculous.

There was some sort of rule with the new headteacher that we were only allowed four a year or something. A bit harsh as it meant charities we used to support - Children In Need included - were stopped. Yet the school were happy to fund raise for themselves.

It meant raising for things like the tsunami were impossible.

It wasn't as if a few more would hurt in a year. It's not like we were turning up and setting fire to cars.

Yeah we use to call it Mufti Day too, but I thought it was only my school that used that word. We only had about two a year, far less than you did Jono and we had to have our hands stamped quite severely to prove we'd paid, tsk.

I think 'mufti' is a rather posh expression from the days of the British Raj in India. Showing your middle class roots there Jono. My school didn't have a uniform.

We used to have themed Rag Weeks at Uni. It was pretty fun going out in ridiculous get ups, having a drink AND earning money for charity.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I think 'mufti' is a rather posh expression from the days of the British Raj in India. Showing your middle class roots there Jono. My school didn't have a uniform.

Oh totally... Well at least it wasn't 'civvies'.

I remember penning a song about mufti day for some reason. It still sticks in my head today.

"It's mufti day tomorrow,

Hurrah, hurrah, hooray!"

I think maybe the fact we constantly chanted that could be why my teacher started screaming at us. It could also explain why they cut down on them.