Unofficial Mills

Ch-ch changes at BBC Radio 1

Ad

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I think they could have made any changes they liked and people would have found something to complain about. People get used to a certain way and like it, so it's understandable that they're going to be apprehensive about changing that. It's the same when anything changes - even with little things like the Newsbeat jingles, people always tend to complain when they first hear them, but after a couple of months they seem normal and people don't have a problem anymore.

I admit, I myself am not sure about some of the schedule changes, in particular, the weekend line up. But I'm gonna try and give it a chance for a few weeks before properly making my mind up.

Where are the Trophy Twins going? More to the point, WHY are they going?!?!:x

I don't think extra Moyles will make any difference to anyone; apart from detracting from his 'beauty' sleep, and obviously substantially swelling his bank balance! I like Moyles, but will not be setting my alarm earlier just to catch an extra half hour.

JK and Joel are a loss.

I didn't quite gather from this thread what has happened to Vernon's lie in - but if it's axed, I will miss it.

Thank goodness they haven't b*ggered about with Scott's show.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I actually thought the new schedule was going to pave the way for the end of Radio 1 for those two, instead it's pushing Dave Pearce and Judge Jules out.

I think Radio 1 should consider making 1Xtra both a black music and dance station as the two genres are proven to be very popular on the main station. Should 1Xtra share both genres as an 'extra' station should, it would be able to keep hold of these DJs.

radio 1 will end up an all out hippie station in a few years i think, they will try to be kerrang.

i couldn't imagine jules and pearce on 1 xtra becuase those two types of music dont fit together. they would move on to kiss or galaxy or ministry of sound and i would move straight along with them.

on the grid.

The biggest mistake the station's making as far as I can see is to bring in staff and features aimed at children. If you're listening to Radio 1 at the age of 12 it's because you want to be cool, edgy and grown up. The last thing you want is "Teen Night", Dick and Dom and Fearne and Reggie who, lovable though they are, struggle to be able to put their show across as adult despite both being credible in the sense of knowing their music.

I'm really going to miss hearing the "brand new" cheesy song, but know I won't wake up for 6.30. Is Moyles actually going to be there, or will the first half hour be pre-recorded?

JK and Joel in my opinion are very good presenters but lack judgement in the sense of what is or isn't going to be a popular band, artist or piece of music. They should do really well on television where their presenting skills will I'm sure get them some very good gigs.

Very glad that Jo is staying, as to Coxy she speaks to young Mums and many of those are in fact 15 to 21. I don't go a lot on the show Edith does at present but suspect the content is not of her choosing. I think Vernon "Mr Cheese" Kay is a fun listen on a relaxed weekend morning but with TV commitments and family life he can't be expected to want to do as much radio at the moment, I would have thought.

Peaches Geldof was wanted I believe but decided against. Just an unsubstantiated rumour I heard. She likes doing Black Rats (her club DJ thing with a friend) but last I heard she was possibly going to university this autumn, and possibly not in the UK. Kelly may be a lot better than we expect, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

UM is a nice place

According to Digital Spy forums this is a response from Judge Jules about it all:

"On the one hand I'll miss 10 years presenting Saturday nights on Radio 1. On the other, I fully understand the logic of grouping all the dance shows together on one night (Friday), and clearly the new Friday night running order makes music sense. I'm looking forward to charging up peoples' Friday nights and playing tunes that are much more representative of my club sound, as opposed to having to play lots of different styles (as I did on Sats..)

It wasn't my idea though...

Cheers,

Jules"

Im not impressed with these changes...I dont really understand why jk and joel are leaving... and I dont think that Fearne and Reggie are committed or interested in their radio 1 programmes to be an adequate replacement. On Sat mornings they are so often absent or replaced by someone else!

Also why as someone else said wouldnt Edith have responsibility for the content of her own show? surely the content of their show is up to the DJs , and producers and back up staff provide editorial control and advice?

Im not impressed with these changes...I dont really understand why jk and joel are leaving... and I dont think that Fearne and Reggie are committed or interested in their radio 1 programmes to be an adequate replacement. On Sat mornings they are so often absent or replaced by someone else!

Also why as someone else said wouldnt Edith have responsibility for the content of her own show? surely the content of their show is up to the DJs , and producers and back up staff provide editorial control and advice?

you're right about Fearne and Reggie not turning up-Fearne is off for the next 2 weekends at least so it may well be shes allready presented her last weekend breakfast show!I hope shes a bit more regular on the new slots!

From Dave Pearce's website

"I am really pleased that an entire clubbing generation grew up with Dance Anthems on Sunday nights on Radio 1 and I am very proud of everything we achieved in that slot. Over 10 years we constantly had some of the highest audience shares on the station.

I am finishing work on a new Dance Anthems Classics cd which should be ready at the beginning of October. Watch this space!"

"Just one more game, I promise"