Unofficial Mills

Glastonbury 2023

AndyK77

On 5/31/2023 at 11:14 AM, AndyK77 said:

Glastonbury announced: https://www.bbc.com/mediacent...3/bbc-music-glastonbury-2023 

Clara Amfo, Lauren Laverne, Jack Saunders and Jo Whiley on TV.

On R1 Vick and Jordan live from Glastonbury 1 - 4 pm each day.

Matt and Mollie are in schedule so not sure if it is a full show or link up to them.

Since its at the end of the month they may correct it on the schedule like how New Music Fix Daily on 6 Music is doing their shows from there that week it would’ve been good if they had Future Sounds coming from there as-well I do think that maybe next year the BBC should consider changing name of introducing tent to BBC Sounds tent

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jono said:

The BBC always seems to go out the most on Glastonbury. Surprisingly more than its own events, but I'm looking forward to seeing the coverage. 

It’s understandable as the amount of stages and areas Glastonbury is larger than any weekend events that the BBC does by some miles. No festival or events BBC covers has that amount of stages and areas so it makes sense. That said I would love to be able to watch events and coverage of other stages maybe with other broadcasters and media outlets in addition to the BBC.

I don’t see it as surprising as Glastonbury is one of the worlds biggest festival and Big Weekend whilst considerably big festival isn’t seen as big in terms of public interests. It’s probably a lot cheaper for BBC to cover Glastonbury as you are only planning and organising outside broadcasting and only organise one tent. But with Big Weekend, The Proms, 6 Music Festival its the BBC have to book and organise the lineup work out all the contracting for security, toilets and setting up all the things on the fields and work with councils to work out the permissions etc and work out the costs. 

But all the festival contracts the practicalities to making the festival happen thats down to the organisers of the festival and the BBC just has the thing of working with Glastonbury and working out how to get it on radio and on peoples television. Considering the amount of people who either watch on BBC Two and Four, watch the livestreams of the festival or catch up on iPlayer and it does deliver more clicks and views a than other events the BBC does. For the reception the audience given over the years has shown theres reason to scale up. 

I find there’s so much more to cover.

6 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

It’s understandable as the amount of stages and areas Glastonbury is larger than any weekend events that the BBC does by some miles. 

I mean I understand on scale terms but I don't understand why there's an active push on every BBC channel, on red button and online, compared to say Big Weekend or Radio 2 Live which doesn't even appear live on any BBC TV station. BBC One, Two, Three and Four will no doubt have coverage this month. 

We know it's possible to do it at least say on BBC Three because they have iPlayer coverage. I just don't know why you wouldn't give your best showing to your own events, especially given the big push on BBC Music in the past. 

There are always grumbles at the BBC about the amount of staff members sent to what is effectively a commercial event. 

11 hours ago, Jono said:

I mean I understand on scale terms but I don't understand why there's an active push on every BBC channel, on red button and online, compared to say Big Weekend or Radio 2 Live which doesn't even appear live on any BBC TV station. BBC One, Two, Three and Four will no doubt have coverage this month. 

We know it's possible to do it at least say on BBC Three because they have iPlayer coverage. I just don't know why you wouldn't give your best showing to your own events, especially given the big push on BBC Music in the past. 

There are always grumbles at the BBC about the amount of staff members sent to what is effectively a commercial event. 

I think with BBC Three, I’m still struggling with the purpose of why they brought it back as a live terrestrial channel when so far it doesn’t seem to be doing more original programmes and live content that makes sense of it being back on television. But seems like a lot of Top Gear and Two Pints of Larger and a Packet of Crisps which if they trying to go for younger audience it doesn’t make sense.

I haven’t seen any of the broadcast plans for BBC Radio 2’s festival which seems like a lot bigger of a event and its listeners are more likely to when at home watch live BBC channels than Radio 1 listeners and highlights and their headline acts would work on BBC Two or later on BBC One.

I personally would like BBC One taking more of the big sporting and cultural highlights to have the unique highlights on BBC One. 

If they didn’t bring BBC Three back to air last year and decisively focused on more of the unique things like BBC Music events does and giving live experiences on it’s major channels would’ve been more sensible.

in terms of Radio 1 I can see why the BBC would push for the iPlayer over BBC Three for youth audience I knew that they did go for 1975 and Lewis Capaldi to have been shown late on One the nights they headline because of their lack of commitment and to push BBC Three shows by choosing the iPlayer to promote first is why I still wonder why they brought it back to the TV channel format.

20 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

It’s understandable as the amount of stages and areas Glastonbury is larger than any weekend events that the BBC does by some miles. No festival or events BBC covers has that amount of stages and areas so it makes sense. That said I would love to be able to watch events and coverage of other stages maybe with other broadcasters and media outlets in addition to the BBC.

I don’t see it as surprising as Glastonbury is one of the worlds biggest festival and Big Weekend whilst considerably big festival isn’t seen as big in terms of public interests. It’s probably a lot cheaper for BBC to cover Glastonbury as you are only planning and organising outside broadcasting and only organise one tent. But with Big Weekend, The Proms, 6 Music Festival its the BBC have to book and organise the lineup work out all the contracting for security, toilets and setting up all the things on the fields and work with councils to work out the permissions etc and work out the costs. 

But all the festival contracts the practicalities to making the festival happen thats down to the organisers of the festival and the BBC just has the thing of working with Glastonbury and working out how to get it on radio and on peoples television. Considering the amount of people who either watch on BBC Two and Four, watch the livestreams of the festival or catch up on iPlayer and it does deliver more clicks and views a than other events the BBC does. For the reception the audience given over the years has shown theres reason to scale up. 

I find there’s so much more to cover.

Festival Republic are contracted by the BBC to provide the logistical and organisation side of things for most of their music events, especially Big Weekend & Radio 2’s event. It’s highly likely FR do the management of everything outside of broadcast and the initial talks with the local council to decide on the location.

21 minutes ago, 1_tw said:

Festival Republic are contracted by the BBC to provide the logistical and organisation side of things for most of their music events, especially Big Weekend & Radio 2’s event. It’s highly likely FR do the management of everything outside of broadcast and the initial talks with the local council to decide on the location.

Thanks for that piece of information so just leaves the BBC it cover the costs and just give a brief to festival republic and corporate with them on just working out what they want for that festival this year and the size and scale depending on how much they are budgeting and allocating and how FR report back on the contracted agreements. 

Whilst the BBC aren’t organising all the micro-details of the festival but rather the decisive power over locations and probably what acts and bands they would like to feature and have booked for that year. It still is more the BBC would have to organise than would with hosting Glastonbury and think that the BBC can get to cover and produce more content, have more talent on-air and have it as a cross network affair much easy than their own events. As I could imagine that when the tried to make as much content available for those who listen and watch the BBC for the Biggest Weekend sorting out the plan of what they want contracted festival companies to work with before the BBC’s idea could happen. Probably is so much harder to work out than Glastonbury itself as they don’t have to have the idea but just only doing the outside broadcasting which is working with allocated areas with festival organisers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say Vick and Jordan at Glastonbury are proving a great listen - it was a good idea to put two of the station's biggest names on for this. They were always good from the start of their pairing but the chemistry between them sounds much more natural now.

4 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

I have to say Vick and Jordan at Glastonbury are proving a great listen - it was a good idea to put two of the station's biggest names on for this. They were always good from the start of their pairing but the chemistry between them sounds much more natural now.

It does feel a change this year compared to when they usually send the weekend DJs like Dev and Alice in previous years. I'd like them to do more anchoring of big events. 

3 hours ago, Jono said:

It does feel a change this year compared to when they usually send the weekend DJs like Dev and Alice in previous years. I'd like them to do more anchoring of big events. 

It is interesting that they picked Vick and Jordan over Matt and Mollie who normally have that slot.  To be fair - I guess you'd say that Vick and Jordan are much more likely to attend Glastonbury even if not working than Matt and Mollie so it makes it all a bit more authentic.

7 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

It is interesting that they picked Vick and Jordan over Matt and Mollie who normally have that slot.  To be fair - I guess you'd say that Vick and Jordan are much more likely to attend Glastonbury even if not working than Matt and Mollie so it makes it all a bit more authentic.

Well last year they picked Vick & Katie over Dean so I'm not surprised they did it this year.

I’d like to see some tweaks to the stations output of Glastonbury and how the BBC approach things would like to see them getting more rights to cover and highlight some of the dance areas that don’t make it to air would like to see them consider ripping up the usual weekend evening line-ups and having that having presenters like Maia Beth, Jess Iszatt and Jeremiah Asiamah to have highlights of the festival from 18:00-01:00 followed by highlights of DJ Sets and full set playback it would’ve been good to have the station playing highlights of the day and more of some of its playlisted acts on air with interviews to have had focus on Tom Grennan, Reina Swayama, Mahalia, Raye, Becky Hill, Cat Burns and Flo to Pale Waves, Nova Twins, Royal Blood and Fred Again.. Have 1Xtra cover and focus on the westholts stage.

On 6/24/2023 at 7:22 PM, Jono said:

Agree with this idea, I think that next year that Radio 1 should consider going for the idea of Radio 1 on the road and having the future sounds brand front and centre in this.

On 6/21/2023 at 6:11 PM, Jono said:

Budget cuts means Radio 1 seem to be using their Big Weekend posters for Glasto this year ?

Screenshot_20230621-181023.png

Maybe BBC Music need to have more generic imagining for their OB posters featuring varying events and promoting the BBC Sounds brand over on one event or station.