Unofficial Mills

Changes at 6Music

Old Codger Fan

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 2:07 PM, Old Codger Fan said:

I'm quite enthused about the new pairings announced for the evenings, as from June - Deb Grant & Tom Ravenscroft / Marc Riley & Gideon Coe ...

Will be interesting to see how the general 'feel' of these shows compare to the other options out there, in terms of a place to go to discover new tunes ...

Must say I’m very late to comment but find the choice of having New Music Fix Daily overlapping with the last hour of future sound bit odd. Can see the reasons of appetite for change of the evening schedule as feel that the BBC’s stations new music programming on its mainstream music stations should be targeted to cross station listeners and try to attract a Radio 1 and 6 Music listener to listen in between the two stations for new music.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Marc Riley was an absolute triumph on the 'new' 6Music show last night (from 10pm) - Also strangely comforting to hear 'Lard' back on the Graveyard shift ...

It will be interesting what Marc and Gid sound like together doing a whole show together for two days of the week. I hope they can get their listeners on board with the changes 

I found that overall whilst it was obvious some improvement will need to be made on the new music fix show but there were plenty of new tracks that Shazammed in that show and found it was good blend of music and look forward to see it evolved. Do find that BBC has a problem with having so many of their new music shows overlapping on the airwaves like Future Sounds and Future Artists overlap and Radio 2’s show that has more new music than others Jo Whiley’’s show does overlap. But maybe for the elder 6Music listener who may not gel with Tom and Deb maybe there could be change of focus. 

That said over the past few years it has been good to see that the BBC have worked on developing cross network brands of programmes and content on new music that are suited to the change in listening habits.

35 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

... Do find that BBC has a problem with having so many of their new music shows overlapping on the airwaves like Future Sounds and Future Artists overlap and Radio 2’s show that has more new music than others ...

Not forgetting Huw Stephens on Radio Wales!   

I'm running with this 'Menu', for the time being:

M-T-W 7pm-8pm: R1

M-T 8pm-9pm 6Music

W 8pm-9pm Radio Wales

Th 7pm-8pm: R4 Extra

Th 8pm-9pm: R1

42 minutes ago, Jono said:

I like that there's choice for on demand. 

Yes, just hope that they in the music tab of BBC Sounds make the new music shows the star headliner and nicely set a playlist and compartment of shows and playlists that have new music

• 1 month later...