John's Movie Club

John

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't understand why they are re-making Hairspray?!!!

The original is a cult classic and shouldn't be messed with!!

I don't know either, the worst thing is that they have Amanda Bynes in it; the pitch of her whiny voice just goes right through me. I'm glad that they're taking Hairspray on the road and bringing it to London in October.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

• 1 month later...

Saw Rush Hour 3 yesterday at the cinema. Was totally unsure what it'd be like, as I hadn't seen the other two. But it was tres amusant as the French like to say!

Wanted to see Surf's Up tonight, but because of a cock up with the times had to end up watching Evan Almighty. Read that the reviews weren't that great, and it really pushed the Bible too much. It was only the middle bit that it started to pick up, and the ending was only because I knew the movie was drawing to a close...

There is a film called The Hitcher on at 11pm on ITV1 tonight. It's a brilliant movie, a horror movie fan's tour-de-force.

What a fantastic film! Rutger Hauer is absolutely chilling in it - one of his best performances by far... and it hasn't aged too much for quite an old film. This one definitely doesn't need a remake.

Oh, they just have. :(

The natural cynic in me presumes the remake of The Hitcher will be diabolical, devoid of its predecessors nihilism and full of fawning characters.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455960/usercomments

Seems it's not as good as the original. As if anyone could play John Ryder after Rutger Hauer's amazing performance, to be fair. It seems Sean Bean has made a fair attempt though.

Remakes are so rarely anywhere near to the standard of the original. I suppose it seems a good idea to studio execs when some pitcher says to them "imagine what we could do with this story using modern special effects" but of course just as good graphics mean very little if gameplay is poor, so special effects can't be substituted for intelligent acting and direction. That's my opinion, anyway.

UM is a nice place

As if anyone could play John Ryder after Rutger Hauer's amazing performance, to be fair. It seems Sean Bean has made a fair attempt though.

I'd agree there. Can imagine Sean Bean giving it a good go though...

...but of course just as good graphics mean very little if gameplay is poor, so special effects can't be substituted for intelligent acting and direction.

Is there a closet gamer in there somewhere Gill? Didn't expect to hear you quoting Edge magazine or whatever..! :D

All this 'remake' business gets my goat anyway. It's just plain lazy and cynical on the part of the film companies. Making changes to make a film as it was originally intended by the director I can get, but a full on remake no...