Unofficial Mills

Radio 1's Staff Christmas Party cost £25,000

Jono

BBC staff enjoyed boozy Christmas parties across the country last year - and licence fee payers picked up the £200k bill... A Christmas party thrown for Radio 1 and 1Xtra staff such as DJs Chris Moyles, Scott Mills, Vernon Kay and Sara Cox cost £25,000. And Radio 2 staff, including presenters Chris Evans, Steve Wright and Mark Radcliffe, were treated to two parties, costing a total of £13,000.

The news comes after the BBC announced plans to increase the TV licence fee from £131.50 to £180 by 2013.

Critics say spending nearly £200,000 on Christmas parties will anger licence-payers.

John Beyer, director of MediaWatch UK, said: "Licence-payers expect their money to go on making programmes, not parties."

A spokesman for the corporation said: "The BBC believes that it is right that at Christmas we offer limited hospitality to all staff for their flexibility throughout the year."

Source: Daily Mirror

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought Moyles was complaining about having to pay for drinks at corporate dos. And most them seem to leave early, like Scott and Jo.

But meh, I wouldn't be complaining if I went to such a party.

This story is very old! I'm surprised its not been posted on here sooner!

Deeply sorry for posting stories from today's newspapers. Take it up with them.

But radio 1 DJ's are younger so will drink more

Don't get me wrong, I realise this, but I still think the figures seem unrealistic. Especially when you consider the fact that several Radio 1 DJs talked on air about the fact that they hate the christmas party, and only go so they're in the photo which is compulsory, and then leave and go somewhere else.