Unofficial Mills

Scott in Now magazine!

Harkinson

Thought I'd upload it for anyone who missed it..

From Dan Wootton in Now magazine:

'I drank a bottle of spirits a day after my boyfriend died of an overdose'

The Radio 1 DJ opens up for the first time about hosting his show drunk and his secret friendship with Robbie Williams.

For someone who broadcasts to millions every day on Radio 1, Scott Mills has always been surprisingly private. Yes, he's been our most famous gay DJ since quietly coming out in 2001, but other than that he's managed to keep his private life private.

However, that's all about to change now that he's published his autobiography, revealing a shocking secret life. In his only magazine interview, Scott, 38, talks for the first time about the death of his boyfriend from an overdose, how he became addicted to booze, his secret friendship with Robbie Williams and what he really thinks of his rival Chris Moyles. But first he reveals his battle with depression and anxiety...

Scott, you've suffered from chronic anxiety, depression and panic attacks. I would never have expected that from someone who appears as confident as you.

I know. My mum always said I was in the wrong job. But I think a lot of DJs are like that. Chris Moyles is a really shy person, for example. But for me it became a really crippling part of my life.

Were you prescribed antidepressants?

Yeah, when I was 16. I had to miss lots of school. I couldn't face it. I didn't see my friends. I'd sit on the sofa all day and not talk to anyone. Even going to the shops became overwhelming.

Do you think any of it related to you being gay?

Not really. I had a pretty easy time coming out. There's a history of depression in my family, so I think it was that rather than my sexuality.

Did you always know you were gay?

Well, I've never had a girlfriend. There was one snog in a car, but it just wasn't for me. I had my first boyfriend when I was 16.

Your life changed forever when your boyfriend Mitch died of a drug overdose. What was your relationship like?

I was 26 and we'd been going out for a few months. We spent every minute together. He was from Wales and so funny.

How did you find out what happened?

It was truly awful. I'd been to the Brits. After my Radio 1 show, the police were waiting for me. They told him he'd died. I couldn't process it. As it dawned on me, it got worse and worse and worse.

Is it true that drugs were involved in his death?

The details are still sketchy, but I believe it involved GHB (illegal drug Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid) mixed with alcohol. It's the most awful drug ever. Why would you do that? It was such a waste. There was so much to grieve over.

Did he have a drugs problem?

Not that I was aware of, which made it even more shocking. It could've been a one-off. I had so many questions. "Why was he taking that? Who was he with?" I started smoking that day and I haven't stopped since.

Rest up soon...

Here's the rest:

Sadly, it all led to you developing problems with alcohol...

That's right. I felt everything was bleak. I had no friends. My flatmate Fraser was the only person I saw. I was presenting the early show, so I'd wake up at 2.30am, do the show, come home and go back to sleep. Then I'd wake up in the evening and drink two bottles of wine or a bottle of spirits in front of the TV. It was a way to escape.

What made you change?

One morning I went on air drunk. That could have been a massive f***-up for me. Even I would've sacked me. But thank God for Radio 1 - they knew about Mitch and why I was having a bad time. It was a proper wake-up call for me.

Did you do anything else embarrassing?

One night when I was drunk I texted Davina McCall, Lorraine Kelly and Fearne Cotton to ask what knickers they were wearing! I was so embarrassed the next day, but they all replied.

Is it true that your friend Robbie Williams helped you through those tough times?

Yes. It's stayed under the radar because that's how I wanted it, but Robbie was someone I could talk to about my drinking. He's knocked all of his problems on the head. I found talking to him very comforting. I see so much of myself in him - my insecurities, not knowing if you're good enough, the depression and the alcohol.

What's it like hanging out with Robbie?

He holds these amazing quiz nights at his house with Gary Barlow, James Corden, Peter Jones from Dragons' Den and Susie Amy, who's friends with his wife Ayda [Field].

You have a new boyfriend now called Brad. Is he in the industry?

No, I met him through a friend. He's lovely to me. I don't know how I feel about getting married, but I'd be up for a civil union. I feel very settled.

Are you starting to think about life after Radio 1?

I am. I hope the BBC will do the same for me as they've done with people like Simon Mayo and Jo Whiley, where they respect you as a broadcaster and help you to make a smooth transition to somewhere else like Radio 2.

RADIO 1 RIVALS:

Nick Grimshaw:

How do you feel about Nick taking over the breakfast show instead of you or Greg James?

Out of all the new people on Radio 1, Nick's my favourite. He really makes me laugh. I'll continue to fill in for him when he starts.

Greg James:

Did any part of you think: 'Haha, Greg! You took my job but now Nick Grimshaw's got the job you really want?

[Laughs] I didn't expect Greg to get the breakfast show yet. But it was like a punch in the stomach when I was told he was taking over my drivetime show after eight years.

Chris Moyles:

When you started at Radio 1, Chris mocked you on air. What was your view of him?

I was quite scared and overwhelmed by him.

Did you feel he was mocking you for being gay?

I didn't, but only because I knew him. He can come across as homophobic, but it's because he's so not that he thinks it's OK to say some things. People can take it the wrong way.

But you confronted him?

Yeah. I dreaded hosting the show before or after him because of what he was going to say. So I went in one day and said to him: 'What's your problem?' When I confronted him he was an absolute puppy dog. It's all an act for on air. He stopped after that.

Was it frustrating that he didn't move sooner so you could have had a go at the breakfast show?

If he'd left it earlier it would've been me. But he held on and that time for me has gone. I've had enough time to accept it.

DAN'S BADDIE BAG:

Who's the most famous person to have flirted with you?

Mariah Carey - she once asked me to interview her on the bed in her hotel room.

When did you last get drunk?

At the Edinburgh Festival last month, with Mark Wright. I like him - he's a nice guy.

Have you ever cheated in a relationship?

Yes, I have. But only when they were being so unpleasant I realised it wasn't going anywhere.

Does size matter?

I don't think bigger is always necessarily better!

Scott's autobiography Love You Bye: My Story is out now (£18.99, Little, Brown Book Group)