Unofficial Mills

September 11th 2001 U.S Terror Attacks, 10 Years On

DC

where were you?

i was in a geography lesson in year 9. it was a slack lesson so i had my earphones in listening to radio 1, mark and lard were on the air at the time. they broke into newsbeat out of a nelly furtado song (i think) and just played songs and kept people up to date on the situation until another newsbeat flash at 3.00pm. i came back home listening to the start of chris moyles' afternoon show and got in about 3.10 watching sky news and bbc news 24. i remember calling my parents who were at work and my nan talking about what was going on. everyone was glued to the news for weeks after as the horrible stories of the victims came out. as for radio 1 the rest of the week following was very sombre, people like comedy dave and lard didn't really appear. and dj's read out lots of emails from people and the latest news.

for some of you who haven't heard these before, here are some mp3 clips from radio 1 around the time of the attacks.

2001-09-11 - newsbeat 2.30pm. the news breaks during mark and lard's show:-

http://www.archive.org/download/BbcRadio1-NewsbeatBulletin2.30pm-1192001/11-9-2001-bbc_radio_1_newsbeat230.mp3

2001-09-11 - newsbeat 3.00pm. an update on the situation in america just before chris moyles' show:-

http://www.archive.org/download/BbcRadio1-NewsbeatBulletin3.00pm-1192001/11-9-2001-bbc_radio_1_newsbeat300.mp3

2001-09-11 - newsbeat 5.45pm. the full 15 minute newsbeat edition, covering the days events:-

http://www.archive.org/download/BbcRadio1-NewsbeatBulletin5.45pm-1192001/11-9-2001-bbc_radio_1_newsbeat545.mp3

2001-09-14 - newsbeat montage looking back at the week:-

http://www.archive.org/download/Newsbeat911Stuff/2001-09-14-r1_newsbeat_attack_recap.mp3

2005 - chris moyles visits ground zero. moyles and comedy dave recall the days events and their trip to groud zero:-

http://chrismoyles.net-mirror.cluster.net.uk/mw/special-occasions_2005-12-01_new-york-ground-zero.mp3

2002-09-11 - 1st anniversary of 9/11, newsbeat 12.45pm. georgina bowman live from new york, with interviews and recollections:-

http://www.archive.org/download/Newsbeat911Stuff/2002-09-11-r1_newsbeat_1245pm.mp3

2002-09-11 - 1st anniversary of 9/11, newsbeat 5.45pm. georgina bowman live from new york, with interviews and recollections:-

http://www.archive.org/download/Newsbeat911Stuff/2002-09-11-r1_newsbeat_545pm.mp3

more clips here:-

http://web.archive.org/web/20041124103809/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/newsbeat/020829_911.shtml

there's loads of stuff on tv over the next week or so, but it's hard to believe that 10 years have gone by so quickly. and all the things that have happened since then. there's a generation of people around now that don't even remember it happening.

but it seems to be a time when people are putting aside whatever views/issues they have, and are remembering the victims.

on the grid.

Wow, well I was only about five so I don't really remember what I was doing when it happened, probably just being like any other five year old.

Archive.org has a ton of, obviously, archived news footage following the event; I have heard that there is only a few copies of footage of the first plane hitting the tower. The second plane, of course, hit and was seen on live TV. Watching that back is a little chilling. And then there's that video of the woman who only just got into a deli as the huge dust cloud advances down the street, and then they look out the shop window and it just goes pitch black. I can't find it now but I remember watching it recently.

Ah they were the days when we didn't really have 24 hour news channels (or we did but they weren't the norm just yet). I remember being in a Year 8 English lesson at the actual time and reading a Bill Bryson book as we spoke about America. I didn't know anything about the events until I got home and my mum was told to put the television on. Every channel, of course, was reporting on it throughout the afternoon.

I didn't know much about what I was witnessing - I didn't even know what the Twin Towers were. I just sat there in disbelief that it was happening and much like my family I didn't know what might come next. Was something going to happen here? I spent the rest of the night watching the news channels and I knew my parents were worried as they don't pay much attention to news much.

I remember we had a quiz the next day in my form (not something we ever did) but my teacher wanted us to understand what had happened. I won that quiz - not much of an achievement given what the subject matter was.

Agreed with that, I heard about it from the radio and they reported that one of the towers had collapsed after an aircraft collision (wasn't confirmed as Terrorism yet at that point). I also thought less of it til I turned on the TV to see the footage of the second plane hitting the tower, then the first one coming down.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

some of the survivor stories that came out of this, such as the one stanley praimnath told were quite incredible.

but one of the worst things that has came out of this was from the trial of zacarias moussaoui in 2006. this guy was meant to be a hijacker and was part of the planning, but for one reason or another was arrested before 9/11 for other terrorist related reasons. the worst thing was that he showed apsolutley no remorse for the victims or their families, smiling throught the trials.

anyway a video was relaeased of a guy named kevin cosgrove who was trapped in the south tower, to illustrate the human suffering caused by the attacks. and as it fell he was on the phone to the emergency services. there's a bbc report on it here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4898926.stm

quite hanuting really, you see a building fall on tv which was bad enough at the time. but you can't begin imagine the suffering that went on inside.

on the grid.

i was at work & just heard it on radio-1 like in the links posted above.

when i got home i watched what was happening on the news, it would have been Sky News i think.

later on my dad & myself went to his mom's & his brother was there & it was on BBC news & he said "this is war" how right he was...

even though a family friend should have been working in a building right next to the Twin Towers on the day, i do of course feel for the victims & their families, even though i have reservations on what 'really' went on on that day.

seeing the Twin Towers in movies always brings back memories of 9th Sept, the ending of Gangs of New York especially, due to the changing city skyline, i don't think the Towers should be edited out of movies as some have had done, but this scene i'm not so sure, i think it would be better in fact.

:)

i was 10yo when it happened and i was on an adventure playground at kingswood adventure park with my school, a teacher ran out and told us all to stop playing and to get inside the main building where all the teachers were gathered around a tv showing the news, we got told what had happened and everyone was in tears watching the news. then when the building collapsed the teachers turned it off thinking it was too horrible for us and we all got bus home straight away.

Also did you know Seth Mcfarlane the creator of Family Guy was supposed to be on 1 of the planes that hit the towers to go sign the contract with fox to show family guy in america, but missed the plane because of bad traffic.

either that or he was hungover, family guy was on before 9/11 but it got cancelled and bought back a few years after. he was supposed to be on flight 11 which struck the north tower.

on the grid.

I remember coming home from school and seeing it on the tv. Mum told me that the twin towers had collapsed in America, although to be honest I had no idea they had even existed, why or what they were for so it initially meant absolutely nothing to me. Then later on it became clear that whatever had happened was pretty big as it was all the news were covering that day, although I was still completely clueless as to what this Al Qaeda thing was or who this Bin Laden guy was that America seemed to want to get hold of ASAP.

Sorry to come across as ignorant or unsympathetic, but thats an account of what I remember. I genuinely didn't understand any of what I was watching. Of course I now understand a hell of a lot more about what happened that day, as I'm sure most of us do especially as a few years later another bunch of f*ckwits would try a large scale terror attack in our own country.

Not impressed with censorship

sad truth is there will always be one that slips through the net.

al qaeda are still at large in the middle east, terrorising the people who live there and muslims who they are supposed to be 'sticking up for'. the amount of muslims they have killed over the last 20 years must run into thousands. they are nothing but thugs who want to take control of particular countries and use them as a base to launch attacks from, all this about muslim land/holy land is just another excuse for them to set off bombs and cut peoples heads off.

on the grid.

I watched the thing on TV with President Bush the other night, etc., etc... All very powerful stuff, but President Bush being told about the attacks with TV cameras rolling in front of a classroom of kids ...... I dunno?! Just came across as quite fake!!

Like Alan, I too am skeptical as to what really went on.... and as to the FBI managing to miss ALL the associated al-queda people on the plane's lists for the day...... makes you wonder!! Incompetency on a grand scale, or...... ??

yeh, makes you wonder....

#imonit

#likeacarbonnet

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

i really think all that lot should be put aside for the anniversary though, it's a time for the families of those who were lost.

on another note i think they've finished the the memorial at ground zero, or almost. i would love to go there and see the new complex when it's finished.

on the grid.

i really think all that lot should be put aside for the anniversary though, it's a time for the families of those who were lost.

Yes, let the families continue to live in a cloud of illusion and world of candy + coconuts.

btw, have a look through @thejeremyvine's tweets for a truly controversial 9/11 picture... www.twitter.com/thejeremyvine - he posted a belter first thing this morning!!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

i dont agree with that side of things but everyone is entitled to an opinion. however, there is the rest of the year to debate that. 9/11 is for the victims families to remember their loved ones' life, not how and why they died. i hope it all gets put aside for that moment. however i've heard of plans to protest and make noise from truthers during the moments of silence at ground zero, i hope it's just a rumour.

on the grid.