Unofficial Mills

Sara Cox off: pre-recorded stuff instead

the_grove

Sara Cox is off today. I read on Twitter that Edith would be doing a double-shift. But what's actually hapenning is this:

Between 1100 and 1200, they broadcast pre-recorded stuff from the Big Weekend, with Vernon presenting. From 1200 to 1300, a Chris Moyles best-of-guests is being played out.

They have pre-recorded bits from Edith inbetween, announcing that it's prerecorded.

And how bad is it done: just before 1200, a Big Weekend record of JLS' "The Club is alive" was played. The second song in the pre-recorded Moyles part was...you're right: JLS' "The Club is alive". Also, mistakes in time planning: they had to end a record half-way through to broadcast the news, with the news jingle crashing into pre-recorded Edith. Sounds like amateur's work.

How utterly disappointing. Don't they check these things? And should a national BBC radio station like Radio 1 not be able to find a replacement for a Sunday mid-day show in the first place?

unique...

Fiasco sums it up quite well.

Someone being off ill on short notice happens, you won't be able to prevent that. But you should have a plan in order to deal with the situation. It's quite easy to "book" a stand-in presenter for every live show, just in case. Even if you just need to use an alternative plan once or twice a year...we are talking national BBC Radio here, not Viking FM. No-one would care about the latter, but I wouldn't be surprised it loads of people switched to different stations yesterday. What a news junction that was at 1130...disaster :D

Producer Rachel's first real challenge, I guess.

unique...

Since when does Sara not pre-record her Sunday show then?

She hasn't pre-recorded it in a while has she? That's why Matt Edmondson often covers.

I imagine either someone was ill very last minute or something happened. You tend not to be ill and only ring in an hour or so before...

He's underused, but you could say the same for Coxy herself, Huw Stephens and Matt Edmonson. There's a lot of competition for slots on Radio 1, which is why I'm surprised they persist with Edith Bowman who simply isn't as good as any of the above and Jo Whiley, who is a great radio presenter but for me sounds too old for Radio 1 now.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

He's underused, but you could say the same for Coxy herself, Huw Stephens and Matt Edmonson. There's a lot of competition for slots on Radio 1, which is why I'm surprised they persist with Edith Bowman who simply isn't as good as any of the above and Jo Whiley, who is a great radio presenter but for me sounds too old for Radio 1 now.

Edith's off and Jo, who I love, is appearing on all the Radio 2 adverts.

But huw needs to be used more and Nihal was quite a good listen today

I listened to a Podcast from Coxys last show in for scott a couple of weeks back and I heard someone say something like "will you do that on your sunday show" and she said "who knows if Ill be here" . Makes it sound like to me she was thinking about not coming in!

Haha! Well to be honest, whenever we (or me anyway) go out the night before work/school/college/uni, we all have a slight feeling that we might be left with no alternative but to call in sick the morning after.