Unofficial Mills

Should the National Anthem be changed?

John

Should the National Anthem be changed?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should the National Anthem be changed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Pineapple chunks

Good topic John.

I'm not in the slightest bit patriotic, nor am I much of a fan of the Royal family, but my mum and I had this conversation more than once.

Concensus was that God Save the Queen was a pretty shite National anthem. It simply isn't rousing enough. We always agreed Rule Britania would have been a far better choice. Infact I think when I was a kid I did actually think this was the National anthem.

Like dc's suggestion of Jerusalem, but it's perhaps a bit solemn.

Holst's Jupiter is a good 'un too. No suitable lyrics though.;)

New reality show. 'Compose an anthem!' P*ss off Cowell and Lloyd Webber, I was there first.

PS. Venga Espana!!!!:D (Shite National anthem too though, it has to be said).

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

We always agreed Rule Britania would have been a far better choice. Infact I think when I was a kid I did actually think this was the National anthem.

i don't know, i think that would make us look snobby and la-de-daa. the impression the americans seem to have of us without even being able to point out britain on an atlas.

on the grid.

What about a nice bit of Kylie?

Ooh interesting, I can hear The Locomotion or I Should Be So Lucky as a national anthem... :D sadly just not ours :cry:

:P

I do think Jerusalem has pretty much the same problem as God Save The Queen in terms of sounding a little boring/solemn, would definitely prefer something more upbeat like so many other countries have.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Faithless, Insomnia.... Because thanks to the way in which this Country is run, none of us can sleep any more.

ZING! some of the lyrics are highly appropriate though

"I used to worry, thought I was goin mad in a hurry, gettin stressed makin excess mess in darkness, no electricity, something's all over me, greasy" etc...

I know... TBH, I couldn't actually care whether we have an anthem... Pride in being British is over these days.

I dunnno, in this country we do seem to really know how to hang on to past glories (probably because there's not that many 'current' glories?)... America is similar but I think it's worse in the UK.

It should only be changed if it's to Cotton Eye Joe. Seeing footballers do the little dance before a match would be much more interesting. It'd freak out the guys who do the haka in rugby too. They wouldn't be able to top cotton eye joe

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

It should only be changed if it's to Cotton Eye Joe. Seeing footballers do the little dance before a match would be much more interesting. It'd freak out the guys who do the haka in rugby too. They wouldn't be able to top cotton eye joe

though for the footballers in this country, Barbie Girl would probably be more appropriate...