Unofficial Mills

ITV To Axe The Bill

James R

The Bill, one of the UK's longest-running TV dramas, is to be dropped by ITV in the autumn after 27 years, MediaGuardian.co.uk can reveal.

ITV has taken the decision to axe the police drama after last year's revamp and switch to a new 9pm slot failed to halt a long-term ratings decline.

The Bill was moved last year from being aired twice a week at 8pm on ITV1 to a single slot on Thursdays at 9pm. The show's storylines were tweaked to take account of the new post-watershed slot.

However, ratings for the show have failed to pick up. In 2002 the show averaged more that 7 million viewers, while more recently audiences been about 3.5 million.

The broadcaster said that the decision to drop the series was made as part of a creative rethink of its drama schedule, which has seen the development of popular short run shows such as Collision and Above Suspicion, and not on cost-cutting grounds.

ITV intends to use the multimillion-pound saving from axing The Bill to create shorter run drama series for the 9pm slot with projects in the works including a new medical series with writer Peter Bowker and a new series from Collision and Foyle's War writer Anthony Horowitz.

"The Bill has been a fixture on our screens for more than 25 years and has been the home of some of the UK's best serial drama storylines, and a great showcase for terrific scriptwriting and fine acting talent," said Peter Fincham, the ITV director of television, channels and online.

"But times change, and so do the tastes of our audience. Whilst The Bill will come to an end in 2010, we will continue to invest more in drama programming than any other commercial broadcaster in the UK and viewers can look forward to a wide range of high quality drama on ITV1."

The show is made by independent production company TalkbackThames.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/26/the-bill-itv

james_ryder.png

I am very disappointed about this. I like the new format; I liked the old format, however The Bill is the only regular programme I watch on TV. Why should a programme that achieved a 20% ratings share last night be axed and replaced by one-off short dramas, which are nowhere near as good as a long-running programme you can really get into?

oh know what a shame :rolleyes:

i only watch Celeb Juice on ITV other than that all ITV is tat.

however the last time i did see any of the Bill (fair few years ago) was when some copper got beaten to death by Snoop Dogg (& his gang) on some housing estate by some flats, they beat him to death with baseball bats :confused:

:)

I used to watch the bill all the time but in scotland you have to watch it on itv london or something, you need to be committed to try and find that channel.

It was great years ago :P just keep watching it on uk gold (or whatever its called now)

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

This is shocking news! I love The Bill, even though it has taken some getting used to after the new format i think they should definitely keep it. They will know what they have lost when it is gone so i expect a re launch in a few years time!

Capes :)

Guest PineapplesLikeAarons

I keep missing the Bill recently and then when I do see it, it's a part 2, and I think what's the point!!! Scott starred in the bill once, right? I searched on YouTube for it, but only found the 'behind the scences', does anyone know where I can see the actual clip with Scotty in??

Guest PineapplesLikeAarons

Its very brief, but it did happen

Did you see it then? I saw da backstage bits and it had Leon in, and I think he's only been in it a few years? When was it?

Nearly 20,000 people have joined former stars and Radio One DJ Chris Moyles in campaigning for The Bill to stay on Britain’s TV screens.

A Facebook group calling for ITV to reverse its decision to axe the show after 26 years of filming in Merton has sparked widespread media interest and counts the Radio One breakfast show host as one of its supporters.

The DJ has promoted the group on air while The Bill’s executive producer and former stars, including PC Tony Stamp, have signed up as campaign members.

Newspapers in Australia have even written about the movement with the show still aired on primetime television down under.

According to the group’s founder, 34-year-old Andrea Wall, a groundswell of public opinion could force ITV to reconsider its decision.

She said: “At the moment we’ve got more than 18,000 members.

"There are a lot of distraught fans and members of the show’s production team who have worked on The Bill their whole lives.

“This is a national institution that has to be left alone - there needs to be a day-to-day police programme on our screens, not just detective programmes about serial killers.

“We’ve had young people coming on to the site saying The Bill has inspired them into becoming police officers.”

More than 90 jobs at Merton Studios in Deer Park Road are at risk while concern is spreading among actors that the show’s demise will deny future stars the chance to cut their teeth.

General secretary of actor’s Union Equity this week said: “This is a disaster. Almost every television actor in the country has at some stage worked on The Bill over the last 26 years and it is an enormously important source of work for Equity members.

“It also has a one of the most loyal audiences of any ongoing drama currently on television.

"We call on ITV to reconsider their decision to cancel this important programme.”

Russell Brand, Sean Bean and Emma Bunton are among the several household names to have made early screen appearances on The Bill.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/7987112.DJ_Chris_Moyles_joins_campaign_to_save_The_Bill/

james_ryder.png