Unofficial Mills

Scott Mills to be given a degree

Nikki

SOUTHAMPTON-BORN Radio 1 star Scott Mills has already won a place in the hearts of millions of listeners, written a musical about his own life, and even become best of friends with the Hoff.

Now, the DJ, who grew up in Eastleigh, is following in the footsteps of Craig David, Shane Warne, Fiona Phillips and Charlie Dimmock by picking up an honorary degree from Southampton Solent University.

The former Crestwood School pupil, 35, who hosts Radio 1’s drivetime The Scott Mills Show, will line up alongside thousands of students next month when he receives the honorary award of Doctor of Arts.

Other recipients of honorary awards from Solent University this year will include ex-Saints legend and Daily Echo columnist Terry Paine, Isle of Wight-based actress Celia Imrie, sailors Alex Thomson and Paul Goodison, author Kathy Lette, and head of P&O cruises Carol Marlow.

Only last week Winchester University gave an honorary doctorate to grumpy comedian Jack Dee and TV presenter David Frost.

The degrees will be handed out at the university’s graduation ceremonies at Southampton Guildhall between November 2 and 6.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4704466.Honorary_degree_for_Radio_1_DJ/?ref=rss

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Southampton university were blatantly struggling to find star names in that list, it would have been rude not to give it to him :D

If it was me I'd have given him a degree in Horse Studies or Leisure & Tourism ;)

Also how is one of those black hats going to fit on his head with those ears? :shock: At least it now means if things go wrong he can go out and get a proper job.

I think it's rather pretentious to display your degree scroll anywhere, especially in the loo, even more so if you haven't actually studied for it.

My MA is shoved in a drawer somewhere in Spain. I think.

I don't really believe in honorary degrees, as it seems to somehow detract from the amount of work that goes into actually doing one. Lots of people on here are working their arses off to get to/through Uni, and someone is just 'awarded' one for doing their job well.

Meh. Having said that, well done Scott the boffin.:)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

No-one has said 42. It says 35!!

A Doctor doesn't make you a doc necessarily, btw. I mean you can't prescribe drugs with this type of degree.

I know it says 35 and every knows he is actually 42!!

and i am aware he is not an actual hospital doctor!, but he can still chose to have the title. (i have several teachers who are dr's and i wouldn't want to put any of them in charge of my health)

etheridge_tom.png

Hmmmm. I have a very cynical attitude towards honorary degrees, especially as I'm currently sacrificing my entire life to get a proper one. I agree with Nati, I do tend to think it's a bit of an insult to those who work their arses off to get through uni. But I'm in no doubt whatsoever as to Scott's radio presenting skills so I guess he does deserve some kind of recognition for that.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...