Unofficial Mills

Scott Mills jokes. - I don't get them :(

Adam_C

A snail goes into a pub. The snail then asks the bartender for a brandy. "No. We don't serve snails", says the landlord and kicks him out. One year later the snail returns to the pub. "What did you do that for?" asks the snail.

Why do mice spin? Because the higher the fewer.

Why do mice spin? Because the higher the fewer. I don't get it either. Anyone care to explain?

It's not really a joke... I think it's philosophical off of exams in the 1920s. According to Google it's about steam engines.

I think they're making a point people will laugh along with things regardless of whether they understand or not...

It's not really a joke... I think it's philosophical off of exams in the 1920s. According to Google it's about steam engines.

I think they're making a point people will laugh along with things regardless of whether they understand or not...

Oh right. Hope so - don't wanna feel totally thick. I do get the snail one though.

1. The Nun joke is a little bit rude. Substitute "Where's the soap...." for "Wears the soap ..." and you may now understand it (think naughty things to do with the soap ...... !):*

2. Someone PLEASE explain the darn Mouse joke (I'm not intot he philosphical explanation, I'm afraid) - it's doing mine (and my Wifes) head-in !!

Thanx

Why do mice spin? Because the higher the fewer. I don't get it either. Anyone care to explain?

It comes from an old engineering saying to do with steam engines:

The meaning has to do with the centrifugal governor on a steam engine - the

weight was called the mouse, and as the engine rpm increased the mouse

would rise due to centrifugal force. But as the mouse rose, the arm

would force the steam valve in the more closed direction, thus

reducing the rpm, that is, the higher (the mouse), the fewer (rpms).

So for a given setting of the mouse on the arm, the engine would run

at a constant speed.

So the riddle should actually be: How is a mouse when it spins? - The higher, the fewer.

Obviously due to the fact that this riddle is so old it has been open to misinterpretation over the years.

Bah, you shouldn't have given away the meaning of the nun joke, it's far more fun watching people try to work it out, haha. My dad got it straight away when I told it to him - what exactly that says about him I don't know...

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

• 2 months later...
I take it the mice joke, or at least the line about spinning mice had some regular useage in the 20th century.

A variation of it was one of the first things said by Tom Bakers confused doctor after he regenerated from Jon Pertwee in Dr Who in 1974. '....why is a mouse when it spins'?

You're showing your age there. You're not Chappers are you?