Unofficial Mills

BBC forced to reveal cost of Chris Moyles show

Jono

The corporation has been told it must declare the costs for the Radio 1 Breakfast show under the Freedom of Information request.

The BBC has always guarded this information secretly and has refused to disclose the information citing "commercial" sensitivities.

However, the ICO has rejected this claim and the BBC will now have to disclose all costs of the breakfast show, including the salaries of presenters such as Chris Moyles.

The controversial DJ, who has suggested that Poles made good prostitutes, is thought to be paid around £650,000 a year by the corporation.

It is believed that the landmark decision will mean the BBC will face greater pressure to reveal production costs and salaries for other stations and for some of its top start such as Terry Wogan and Jonathan Ross.

A BBC spokesperson said: "We are aware of the ICO's decision and are considering our position."

The decision comes as the BBC Trust disclosed its expenses. It was revealed that Sir Michael Lyons had spent £10,000 on a Wimbledon party as trustees ran up £100,000 expenses in just six months.

A report by the National Audit Office last week said BBC radio shows featuring the likes of Terry Wogan and Chris Moyles cost "significantly" more than their commercial rivals, mainly because of celebrity presenters' large salaries.

On breakfast shows, 77 per cent of staff costs related to presenters.

Radio 2's "Wake Up To Wogan" was found to be up to seven times more expensive than commercial rivals to make while Radio 1's "The Chris Moyles Show" was up to four times more costly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4593124/BBC-could-be-forced-to-reveal-salaries-of-top-talent.html

i may write in & ask how much the people who work for the Information Commissioners Office earn for doing bugger all day & getting a fat pension because they are a un-elected quango.

also it will infringe the presenters human rights to reveal how much they are paid.

how would a salary total infringe on human rights..........

Attunement.png

The controversial DJ, who has suggested that Poles made good prostitutes, is thought to be paid around £650,000 a year by the corporation.

I cant even imagine that much money. :shock:

nurses get a 5th of that, and they save lives. :confused:

'Dunlod got his dinkle in a deckchair mun'

*Must stop dreaming about Beccy in strange places*

I cant even imagine that much money. :shock:

nurses get a 5th of that, and they save lives. :confused:

what difference does it make that nurses save lives & only earn a fifth of what Moyles earns ?

a nurse chose to do that job & knows how much he/she can expect to earn, or are you saying that a nurse should earn a million pounds a week ? i hope you are because that would mean that i will get about £250,000 a week :D & intern Moyles would be getting five million a week, it simply doesn't work like that im afraid, John Terry at Chelsea earns £150,000 a week so he earns more in six weeks than Moyles earns in one whole year, for just kicking a bag of wind about for 90 minutes each week, now you work that out.

how would a salary total infringe on human rights..........

the contracts that the bbc & the presenters sign will contain personal & private information & a persons salary is also private, regardless of who they work for even MP's vote against releasing all the information regarding their income.

a banded about figure in the public domain "Moyles gets £600,000 a year" is not a issue but a exact figure on peoples salary is, the whole Moyles team will have their salary released into the public domain & if you worked there i bet you wouldn't like your exact salary information being released either, it also raises other issues will all people who work in the media ITV, Sky & other radio stations have to reveal exactly how much they pay their presenters & dj's ? as such information will be valuable for new contractual negotiations & could disadvantage BBC employees in such negotiations if a none BBC employee is going for the same job.

as a contract between a employer is a legally binding document so i would think that it comes under confidentiality & data protection laws, & i would have thought that just giving out the contract information without consent of the presenter/dj would infringe their human rights.

all the people who work for the BBC pay tax so the ICO as a government entity will have access to the amount of tax each presenter earns by just pushing a few buttons on a keyboard thus they already know how much Moyles & Wogan get paid but they cannot release this information as it would be against the law, you simply cannot trust anyone involved with the UK government with your personal information as they are all liars & do not know the concept justice & liberty.

:)

Guest inxces4308
the contracts that the bbc & the presenters sign will contain personal & private information & a persons salary is also private, regardless of who they work for even MP's vote against releasing all the information regarding their income.

a banded about figure in the public domain "Moyle's gets £600,000 a year" is not a issue but a exact figure on peoples salary is, the whole Moyle's team will have their salary released into the public domain & if you worked there i bet you wouldn't like your salary either, it also raises other issues will all people who work in the media ITV, Sky & other radio stations have to reveal exactly how much they pay their presenters & dj's ?

as a contract between a employer is a legally binding document so i would think that it comes under confidentiality & data protection laws, & i would have thought that just giving out the contract information without consent of the presenter/dj would infringe their human rights.

all the people who work for the BBC pay tax so the ICO as a government entity will have access to the amount of tax each presenter earns by just pushing a few buttons on a keyboard thus they already know how much Moyles & Wogan get paid but they cannot release this information as it would be against the law, you simply cannot trust anyone involved with the UK government with your personal information as they are all liars & do not know the concept justice & liberty.

Well said.

I also wouldent like it if everybody within the company i worked for knew how much I earned.....

They can possibly give a total of all the wages together. But, quite a few members of the team are straight BBC exployees and are probably employed as 'Producers' not 'Chris Moyles Producers', so therefore they may not be calculated within the total.

what difference does it make that nurses save lives & only earn a fifth of what Moyles earns ?

a nurse chose to do that job & knows how much he/she can expect to earn, or are you saying that a nurse should earn a million pounds a week ? i hope you are because that would mean that i will get about £250,000 a week :D & intern Moyles would be getting five million a week, it simply doesn't work like that im afraid, John Terry at Chelsea earns £150,000 a week so he earns more in six weeks than Moyles earns in one whole year, for just kicking a bag of wind about for 90 minutes each week, now you work that out.

a banded about figure in the public domain "Moyles gets £600,000 a year" is not a issue but a exact figure on peoples salary is, the whole Moyles team will have their salary released into the public domain & if you worked there i bet you wouldn't like your exact salary information being released either, it also raises other issues will all people who work in the media ITV, Sky & other radio stations have to reveal exactly how much they pay their presenters & dj's ? as such information will be valuable for new contractual negotiations & could disadvantage BBC employees in such negotiations if a none BBC employee is going for the same job.

Fair point but I wouldn't class it as human rights, more like right to privacy.

Human rights would include food, water and so on.

Attunement.png

The European Convention on Human Rights

ARTICLE 8

1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

But this exactly why we have freedom of information legislation, to allow us to know what is done with public funds. Every licence fee payer is a stakeholder in the BBC, and should be entitled to know how our money is used.

Obviously the situation would be different in a private company.

caitlynmac.png

But this exactly why we have freedom of information legislation, to allow us to know what is done with public funds. Every licence fee payer is a stakeholder in the BBC, and should be entitled to know how our money is used.

Obviously the situation would be different in a private company.

the government won't let tax payers know how they spend our money !

also revealing information such as a presenters salary may have a detrimental effect on future jobs in the media as it could well put them at a disadvantage, thus not allowing them to freely ply their trade which is a Human Right.

On one level I can see why everyone deserves privacy, but im not sure what is wrong with knowing roughly how much anyone earns?

Maybe it might put people off careers in media etc if they knew exactly what everyone gets? For ever huge salary like Chris there is a raft of people on much less....i would be really curious to know what kind of salary the rest of the team are on?

And it is valid to ask how much every show costs when so many businesses are in the middle of cost cutting, and making thousands redundant. Would it be fair to keep 1 expensive show going at the expense of 5 or 6 others?

And if it had been general knowledge about how much some bankers were earning a few years ago...more questions might have been asked about how it was justified?

Guest inxces4308
Would it be fair to keep 1 expensive show going at the expense of 5 or 6 others?

Well on alot of occasions, yes. If the 1 show they have is pulling in massive listening figures then they will keep it. Instead of replacing it with 5 other shows that no-one listens to. Moyles/Wogans show for example.

I think its unfare for them to have to publish their salaries. Not because of much they are on but because of how the media will react to them. Also, certain older members of the public will start moaning again.

AND.....the elderly get their TV licence for free anyway!

I don't think there is an issue with the salaries being made public. As a licence fee payer I should be able to know how much the high-cost presenters are paid in the same way I can find out how much the directors of a company are paid if I am a shareholder. Public bodies must be held to account. Also I think it will be hard for them to release Moyles's and Wogan's salaries as they are both self employed and do their shows on a freelance basis (eg. Moyles may have a company "Chris Moyles ltd" and radio 1 have a contract with them saying Chris moyles will present a show for a set fee, like a consultant) It will then be hard for them to release Moyles's salary as he is employed by a private company.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

Well you're wrong then, as Moyles is produced in house.

No he's definately freelance because I read it on here which is why he gets more holiday than aled etc. It was when Scott was covering once. I also remember because when Chris had to cover coxy a few years ago until 12 he got two show fees.

Guest inxces4308
Well you're wrong then, as Moyles is produced in house.

All the team apart from Chris & Dave are BBC staff. Chris & Dave are on private contracts. As mentioned above thats why Chris & Dave get more holiday than the others.

Aled has mentioned it a few times on these boards, I think.

i may write in & ask how much the people who work for the Information Commissioners Office earn for doing bugger all day & getting a fat pension because they are a un-elected quango.

also it will infringe the presenters human rights to reveal how much they are paid.

As an Executive Officer for the Ministry, we work very hard. I'm sure my colleagues at the ICO work just as hard. If you write in, they'll more than happy to reply back with a list of Civil Service Grades.

It is already common knowledge how much a number of the Corporations Presenters earn per year. It certainly isn't infringement of Human Rights. We have a right under the FOI to know how much money is being spent on various shows.

Until you are old enough to realise and start buying for a TV License, I would suggest you pipe down for a while.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

the government won't let tax payers know how they spend our money !

also revealing information such as a presenters salary may have a detrimental effect on future jobs in the media as it could well put them at a disadvantage, thus not allowing them to freely ply their trade which is a Human Right.

But this has already been spoken about that the BBC pays below what you would get anywhere else? To enable the Corporation to secure talent, they have to pay what has been established at the contract.

We as a tax and licence fee payer, surely we all have the right to know how this money is spent. The Government do indeed tell us how much each department spends each year, they are budgeted etc.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

But this has already been spoken about that the BBC pays below what you would get anywhere else? To enable the Corporation to secure talent, they have to pay what has been established at the contract.

We as a tax and licence fee payer, surely we all have the right to know how this money is spent. The Government do indeed tell us how much each department spends each year, they are budgeted etc.

I agree. I have to produce a monthly budget report for our team, and this is freely avaliable to all those connected with the company. If my team overspends or appears to be 'wasting' money, we get hauled in. It should be the same for the BBC. Like Ad says, I can find out how much all government bodies cost, and in some cases, how much the directors are paid. It should be the same for the BBC, as we all pay for it.