Unofficial Mills

Moyles branded racist over Polish remarks

Jono

To be fair, you'd think Moyles would be careful in what he says? The Brand & Ross thing really put the BBC on its toes. And by the looks of things, the Daily Mail readers are still out for blood.

I don't think he cares about it and is justifiably annoyed about the walking-around-eggshells attitude in the Beeb nowadays. When the Beeb overreacted after the phone quiz debacle he was openly disgruntled about the new system regarding their quizzes, no-one reads the T&C pages of any website and I doubt anyone pays any attention of the compulsory T&C run through on the radio.

kyliewilson.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why we think that just because it's an overpaid breakfast DJ, its any different.

Do we? I don't complain if it's the bloke in the pub, Moyles or some guy in the middle telling comedy in my local theatre. I don't see why you are bringing money into the debate, it's very Daily Mail, "quick, we pay the license fee!" This is 2008 - we're not forced to listen to what we don't want to listen to, there is such thing as choice.

Anyway...

Chris Moyles has been forced to make a humiliating apology after he appeared to suggest that Poles made good prostitutes on his Radio 1 show.

His climbdown came on the same day that communications minister Lord Carter gave the BBC a clean-bill of health over taste and decency issues.

Last night controversial DJ Moyles claimed he had not meant to link Polish people with prostitution but apologised for 'unintentional offence'.

His words came after complaints to the BBC over his behaviour rose to almost a hundred, in the latest embarrassing episode in quick succession at the BBC.

Chris Moyles issued a statement in an attempt to defuse the latest row, claiming his words had been misinterpreted.

It read: 'I didn't mean to link Polish people and prostitution in the way that has been suggested, but of course I realise that some people have taken it that way and to those people I'm sorry for the unintentional offence.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1091717/Chris-Moyles-apologises-unintentional-offence-suggesting-Poles-make-good-prostitutes.html

Guest inxces4308
There are plenty of excellent DJ's who entertain their audience without offence, why is Chris Moyles any different ??

Because he is 100 x better than anything/anybody else on the radio at the moment in the UK. He has a differant format & style which makes him stand out against all the other competition and therefore dosen't fit into a typical 'DJ' stereotype.....

Wogan also has his own format and style unlike anybody else......I dont see people complaining about Wogans salery as he is paid £700,000 + but, because people dont see him as a 'shock-jock' it dosen't seem to matter.

Without ranting too much......Everybody wants to be earning lots of money and be in a high paid job, i bet if they offered £650,000 pounds a year to anyone here they would take it - i certainly would. But because he works for the BBC everybody feels they own him/the show and can moan about what he is paid.

Last point, If people likes Moyles wearnt on the radio, people would moan and complain, so you can't win!

Chris Moyles has been forced to make a humiliating apology

This is wonderful to see (with the exception of the humiliating bit - I don't see whats humiliating about it, he just held his hands up). I'm sure this will go a very long way to make those offended by what he said feel a lot better. Hats off to the bloke, he's done the right thing, and now everyone should move on (unlike the Brand and Ross messup).

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

This is wonderful to see

Why? The BBC apologised for someone getting their willy out on the radio, its like an automatic reaction now.

Hats off to the bloke, he's done the right thing, and now everyone should move on (unlike the Brand and Ross messup).

If we'd have moved on we'd not have had this stupid story.

Pat on the back to Moyles though. I'm impressed he has managed to remain out of the headlines since Sachsgate. One would have assumed he would have been in The Mail's BBC vendetta stories months ago. Even Scott got there before Chris.

You'll have also noticed The Mail has removed "public outcry" from their story. Presumably because there wasn't one, they were just hoping for it to happen. Go back to writing about Diana.

Why? The BBC apologised for someone getting their willy out on the radio, its like an automatic reaction now.

It wasn't a BBC apology, it was Chris himself, HE realised that what he did was wrong and HE put it right.

And by the way, for someone who doesn't seem to like the daily mail (can't blame you) you seem to spend a lot of your time on their website looking up these stories. Slightly contradictory isn't it

And by the way, for someone who doesn't seem to like the daily mail (can't blame you) you seem to spend a lot of your time on their website looking up these stories. Slightly contradictory isn't it

You don't have to go on a website to know when they're talking about Radio 1. I'm a student, I should know how to research ;)

True. They have a constant rotation of stories. It's either Diana, Mortgages or Immigration that usually feature on the front page of the express.

Ah yes, silly me. The Daily Mail are usually the ones criticising immigrants and alleging the Poles are taking up all our jobs. I must have forgotten what with them taking the moral high ground on this story.

I don't know why we think that just because it's an overpaid breakfast DJ, its any different. Stereotypes are not good at the best of times, and when they're broadcast on prime-time slots on a National radio station, it is even worse. Yes, Moyles may just have been having a laugh, and Yes, the daily mail might be a waste of paper, but the fact is this item broadcast on his show offended and upset some people and when Moyles is offending people, however few in number, on his national breakfast show then he isn't doing his job properly and isn't fit for the position. There are plenty of excellent DJ's who entertain their audience without offence, why is Chris Moyles any different ??

You're making yourself look incredibly stupid with this argument. Everytime I have an opinion on what you've said, Jono takes the thoughts right out of my mind seemingly. I imagine I'm not alone in agreeing with Jono.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I haven't actually listened to what he said but from what I can see his words have been hugely misconstrued. If he said 'I just find if you're Polish you're just very good at ironing … and prostitutes (they're) very good also at fixing cars.', surely that implies that he wasn't referring to Polish people and prostitutes in the same train of thought? But like I said, I haven't listened to it so I can't say for sure.

Regardless I think that this is yet another minor incident blown out of all proportion by the media. How many times has Moyles taken the p*ss out of Norwich, for example? Nobody complained about that. I think he may even have called people from Stoke-on-Trent 'inbred' a few years ago, but again nobody complained about that. So why should this be treated any differently? Those who 'get' his humour and his comedy know that he would never intentionally say anything to offend anyone, of any race. All of his remarks are said purely in jest in keeping with the tone of the show, there's nothing more to it than that. So why all the fuss...? If you don't like him then don't listen to him, it's as simple as that.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

Guest CancerForTheCure

I really have been living under a rock, it seems :)

This is ridiculous. Of all the things Chris Moyles has ever said on Radio 1 he gets criticised for that? The idea of racism has been getting very ridiculous recently. I always rant about how political correctness does not actually exist. The fact that you're not allowed to use the term blackboard as it's racist is my favourite - it's a black board god damn it. But anyway, I'm going off at a tangent now. I am often ashamed of the way Polish people treat other nations. I am obviously generalising but there is no way to avoid that. Polish people are openly racist about English people in England, let alone in Poland and there is no political correctness for them (yes, them, not us) as they are the minority. It's so much worse in Poland - those from lower classes (i.e. the great majority of those who are currently in Britain) have a serious national inferiority complex and it can get really bad - I was worried when I took my boyfriend to Poland with me and I wouldn't even try inviting my black friend to come along. Back to the original point - it's all nonsense.

You're making yourself look incredibly stupid with this argument. Everytime I have an opinion on what you've said, Jono takes the thoughts right out of my mind seemingly. I imagine I'm not alone in agreeing with Jono.

Maybe so but it's my friend who got upset and unless you have a polish friend who wasn't offended by the item, you can't really comment can you. As for me making myself appear stupid, you can't really talk. Still, an idiots born every minute so your not alone.

Maybe so but it's my friend who got upset and unless you have a polish friend who wasn't offended by the item, you can't really comment can you. As for me making myself appear stupid, you can't really talk. Still, an idiots born every minute so your not alone.

But CancerForTheCure is Polish (the above poster) and she's just said she can't see what the fuss is about. She's even pointed out that Poland is home to worse racism than England. Once again I do not see why a newspaper or group should speak for the whole of the country, just like I don't see why the Daily Mail should speak for the country regarding Sachsgate.

One wonders what your friend was doing listening to Radio 1 if they cannot take a joke or two? For a start you get Chris taking the piss out of Aled - a welsh and gay man - every day. One wonders why someone might continue to be unoffended by that and listen, but suddenly gets upset when they mention their country. Is it because they found it funny to laugh at other people from other countries but not theirs? Or is it the case they knew Chris was being his cheeky self but completely forgot this when they mentioned Poland? Or... shock horror... did they take offence after reading about it?

But CancerForTheCure is Polish (the above poster) and she's just said she can't see what the fuss is about. She's even pointed out that Poland is home to worse racism than England. Once again I do not see why a newspaper or group should speak for the whole of the country, just like I don't see why the Daily Mail should speak for the country regarding Sachsgate.

One wonders what your friend was doing listening to Radio 1 if they cannot take a joke or two? For a start you get Chris taking the piss out of Aled - a welsh and gay man - every day. One wonders why someone might continue to be unoffended by that and listen, but suddenly gets upset when they mention their country. Is it because they found it funny to laugh at other people from other countries but not theirs? Or is it the case they knew Chris was being his cheeky self but completely forgot this when they mentioned Poland? Or... shock horror... did they take offence after reading about it?

No she took offence when she herd it because it was on in the office and she started saying how mean it was to say. I don't know why Cancer for the cure didn't find it offensive but my friend did, maybe it's just the time and the place sort of thing. One thing's for sure, since Moyles apologised she says it's alright now, and will continue to listen to Radio 1 which is good. I agree with you on your daily mail views, but what can you do ???

As for your point about Chris taking the piss out of Aled, no has said he was right have they. The BBC say they do not condone any derogatory comments or views, and I sometimes think Chris is too mean to Aled, particularly when Aled seems very nice and very professional.

Anyways, its over now, Chris has apologized, most people who were offended are now OK about it and nw we should all move on to Christmas.

No she took offence when she herd it because it was on in the office and she started saying how mean it was to say. I don't know why Cancer for the cure didn't find it offensive but my friend did, maybe it's just the time and the place sort of thing. One thing's for sure, since Moyles apologised she says it's alright now, and will continue to listen to Radio 1 which is good.

I just do not see how someone familliar with Radio 1 would suddenly get on their high horse about comments made about their country and completely deject the fact Chris takes the piss out of every county, accent or personality trait.

Fair doos............. You're proberbly right, I just know she was upset and now she's not. Maybe it's WHAT he said about the country that caused her to get on her high horse................... a bit like jokes concerning welshmen and ahem...... sheep. If Moyles had made a joke of that nature then I'd imagine a lot of welsh people would be taking up the BBC complaints phonelines. Suppose it's more offensive when it's about your home country/area.

Moyles apparently offended some people, so what ?

it's called a joke !

joke (jk)

n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.

2. A mischievous trick; a prank.

3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.

4. Informal

a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.

b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office

:)

Moyles apparently offended some people, so what ?

it's called a joke !

Yeah, but a joke to some is funny. Others, however, can take offence. It's just a matter of beliefs and opinions.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

Guest inxces4308

Further development on this:

The Mirror has now launched its own stupid article on the story where they really launch at Moyles. This whole thing is just people in the industry spitting there dummy out because they cant be succesful

Heres the article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/2008/12/06/chris-moyles-is-a-pathetic-racist-and-his-anti-polish-outburst-shames-the-bbc-115875-20949328/

What i'd really like to know is why these journalists think they can call him Fat, racist and all other things under the sun and think they are better than he is - and they get away with it. I hope he sues them to the ground, they deserve it!