Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 slipping out of its age remit

Jono

What they forget to mention is how much of local radio's audience is actually taken up by old people as opposed to young people, so I don't think they should be complaining. Radio Broadland, for example, is a youth station but I only know of middle-aged people who listen.

You have a good point there. I know NO ONE under the age of 35 who listens to Radio Broadland. They try to make it all brilliant and cool, But it just fails, all of the time. The only radio Stations I know my friends listen to is Radio 1, That stupid thing whatever it is that used to be Vibe FM, and one, same age as me, who only listens to Radio 2 and Radio 4, strangely. Hes a rather odd person :P But no, I know no young people who listen to Broadland, or any similar radio station across the UK.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inxces4308
You have a good point there. I know NO ONE under the age of 35 who listens to Radio Broadland. They try to make it all brilliant and cool, But it just fails, all of the time.

Its EXACTLY the same where I am. We have BBC Radio Merseyside which is for dead people. Nobody under the age of 50 listen to it because of how dire it really is. Some people over 50 cant stand it either come to think of it.......

They keep trying to get the younger audience to listen but it never works as the station is so bad and there's so many old presenters on it that cant string two words together!

Then we have around 4 or 5 commercial stations that all play the same music, have crap presenters and most of the programs are networked from London anyway!

And then theres Radio 1 - something thats sounds brilliant, dosen't treat its listeners like idiots (bar Jo Whiley, Nihal, etc) and plays good music.

Think I'll chip in my thought for the day. I know people who are collecting their pension who listen to Radio1 particularly moyles and Whiley. I also know people in their early twenties who listen to the Today programme on R4. It has always seemed to me that the divide is thus:

Chav=local radio, smart=BBC. Always has been that way.

I'm a smidgen outside radio1's remit but still love it and the only other stations I listen to are those with presenters similar to those found on Radio1.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking at Digital Spy. They reckon someone much younger should takeover from Moyles who would appeal to the Switch-style audience. I do not doubt BBC bosses wouldn't mind this but this is a kick in the face for those who much prefer the older presenters on Radio 1. As the original post suggests currently Radio 1 are taking away local radios' audience.

The problem is this has nothing to do with bloody age. Radio Broadland is now becoming Heart Norfolk so it's taking away it's locality even further. It's full of cash competitions and adverts, and Kiss is a genre of music no one in my family can take.

So what other options are there? Nothing else here other than Radio 2 or 4. Neither are entertainment and as we're talking breakfast it has to be something the whole family can listen to. Luckily mum enjoys Moyles (even though she curses him most of the time) and it's suitable for the school run because there's no bloody adverts interrupting.

What is annoying is that commercial radio fans argue it's all about age. But it isn't. What is stopping me from tuning in is the methods of radio production that the commercial sector are currently taking.

At the end of the day, The majority of Radio 1 DJs appeal to Radio 1s audience. Changing the current line up before its reached it's full potential would be horrific in my opinion. And whats this about Moyles being replaced with a Switch style show? Dear god, it's bad enough having Switch once a week! Some of the ideas that come up in this topic are horrible. If Radio 1 ever tried to make the shows "Younger", I'm F***ing off to 5Live or XFM. Bleh :P

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Guest inxces4308

This whole argument come about become commercial stations/DJs just arn't up to scratch in the modern world and therefore this is the only thing they can do, rudy moan!

They think that its not them thats bad, its that the competition/big corporate structures are so good when infact its them thats terrible! If for once they got off there arse and worked for it, they would get the listeners. Radio 1's done it and invested money and therefore got a great share of the audience.

-

I'm loving some of the music thats being played today

(10 hour takeover) buts commercial radio is going to get really p**sed for no reason again. Just heard Stevie Wonder - Superstition. Commercial stations normally play that track 5 times a day :)