Football Season 2008/09

popbitcher

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to treat players who are on form (owen 2 goals in 3 games), wright phillips (2 goals in one game) and darren bent (scored away against chelsea and earned a point) this way is out of order. when owen played in the euro qualifiers last year we actually looked like we would be going. he made israel and russia look stupid last september and without him we lost against croatia at home. after all the goals and performances for england over the last 10 years this is the thanks he gets, especially now he's on form.

fabio needn't cry for a goal against croatia, i'm afraid i won't be watching either. time and time again capello has proven that he is a twat, it's all well and good having trophies at clubs but he's an international manager now and to not pick players on form simply becuase you don't like them dosen't really tell me that we're going to the world cup in 2010.

on the grid.

I don't think Wright-Phillips and Bent could've been selected just because of the performance in one game - That'd be too risky. They may be good players, but you can't judge them on one performance. The arguement for Owen is fair enough really. Without Gerrard we're buggered anyway, as he won't have his best player to dump out on the left :P

The poster formerly known as Robbo

I don't think Wright-Phillips and Bent could've been selected just because of the performance in one game - That'd be too risky. They may be good players, but you can't judge them on one performance. The arguement for Owen is fair enough really. Without Gerrard we're buggered anyway, as he won't have his best player to dump out on the left :P

yes but the same could be said for jimmy bullard and theo walcott couldn't it? swp, bent and woodgate have much more international experience than them and they are in form. plus a track record like micheal owen's simply has to be in the starting 11, over 10 years i can't think of many crap performances he has had for england exept in the 2006 world cup when he was still injured.

and as for steven gerrard he is the greatest english all round footballer we have to choose from. pace, vision, accuracy, strength and power he has them all. we need to use him where he is at his best in a central position, so we can build the side around him. but he shoves a right footed player on the left who hardly plays there even under rafa, and therefore is wasting one of the biggest talents we've had since gazza. capello getting the sack would make my day, with all the clubs he's been to i would of never thought it would of been like this.

on the grid.

SWP in particular hasn't played much recently, when he's been at Chelsea, and I'm not convinced 1 game can show that he's in form, whilst Bullard and Walcott have been playing fairly regularly, especially last season. I think Walcott definetly deserves to be in the squad, and I'm not sure there's anyone better than Bullard to replace Gerrard as a central midfielder.

And also, Bring back Carragher!

i don't think carra will come back becuase he want to play for his club as long as possible, just like scholes. capello wouldnt pick him anyway, wes brown would get into the side above him becuase it's fabio's little orange piece on the side.

on the grid.

what the hell is going on in the world of football!! first off no michael owen in the england side, and now newcastle on the verge of meltdown. keegan was getting around to sorting things out, we lost 6-0 to man u before he came back and we managed to get a draw with them this time around. shows how far things had come on. now dennis wise with no premier leauge experience is going to destroy newcastle. mike ashley you stupid fat bastard.

on the grid.

I think the end of your club ended a few years ago DC. For too long Newcastle has been an average club, probably since the last time Keegan left. The club has gone through failure after failure with a few managers now, namely Gullit, Souness, Allardyce...

I think the club desperately needs a clear out from the board downwards in order to make any sort of progress. Rangers are going through a similar process with having Murray as a chairman, years of overspending has left the club in dire financial straits and now we have had to sell our best players to try and fund a reasonable team to challenge Celtic.

yes but we have remained in the premier leauge since then and sometimes that's been a success in itself. dennis wise will be put in and i'll be able to see them play in the championship within the next two seasons. keegan had a bad start but was starting to turn the screw, we wern't lumping the ball up from the back looking for owen all the time. we were making some good moves, sleek passing, and good to watch. now we're due for a thumping from hull in the next game to get things started.

come january owen will do a fowler and probably go on a free back to liverpool, martins will go abroad or to pompey or arsenal. taylor, n'zogbia, guthrie to name a few will also be gone. and kids from the academy will have to try and keep them up while ashley sits there and thinks there are good things happening.

on the grid.

That Guttierez fella Newcastle brought in looks rather quality. I doubt we'd have Owen back to be honest, we've had enough sicknotes recently a la Kewell and now Degen, and I don't think Owen would like to be a back up striker, since now we have Torres and Keane, and if we bought him back it'd hinder the progress of N'gog, Nemeth and Pacheco to name just 3 of our good youngsters

I thought that Newcastle made a huge mistake by getting rid of Big Sam. The man is an amazing manager, he did wonders at Bolton.. just didn't really fit in at Newcastle.

Letting Keegan leave is the biggest mistake Newcastle have made in a long time though. If they keep on mucking everyone about in their quest to get in the top 5 not only will all their good players leave but they'll end up in the Championship.

In other news:

Isn't it about time that Joey Barton was sacked? He's a digrace to Football.

That Guttierez fella Newcastle brought in looks rather quality. I doubt we'd have Owen back to be honest, we've had enough sicknotes recently a la Kewell and now Degen, and I don't think Owen would like to be a back up striker, since now we have Torres and Keane, and if we bought him back it'd hinder the progress of N'gog, Nemeth and Pacheco to name just 3 of our good youngsters

you or spurs will probably end up having guttierez at the end of the season. i think it's a sentimental thing with owen, if he was part of rafa's rotation policy then he wouldn't be injured so much. but i'm waiting to see what this season brings for him, so far so good for his fitness anyway.

on the grid.

apparently there is a angry mob outside the Newcastle ground :rolleyes: im not sure what they hope to achieve though, unless they want to catch a cold or somthing.

Well if I had spunked away £600 upwards for a season ticket at Newcastle and see the shambles the club is in now I think I would have a right to be upset! :|

I certainly back the fans, I know what its like to try and show your disgust at the chairman/board over decisions made.

oh yeah i agree they have a right to make their voices heard, but chanting for the board to go is pointless, Ashley won't go unless he sells it, i suppose he could just close the club down if he wanted to & sell off the assets.

as i said they need to be able to get players who want to go & play for them & not just for the cash on offer, im not sure where the club can go & the club is a business now & you cannot just spend spend spend, i totally agree & accept that the fans are upset but you must also agree that running a club isn't easy either.

:)