Unofficial Mills

Advice when buying laptops

Jono

Meh no they're not...Toshiba are crap! They we're only good in the 80's when they had those "Ello Tosh got a Toshiba" adverts.

Not how I found them. I sent them an e-mail and got a response within 24 hours. Acer on the other hand had very few contacts.

The more expensive does have the better specs. Both are running Vista so its better to go with the one that has dual core and a higher RAM. Not sure exactly what the differance is between Vista Home basic and Vista Home Premium...

It would seem after calculations that I've along way to go before I'll be buying a laptop. That is, of course, if work are going to be stingey about giving me sick pay. Which they give "at manager's discretion" (when they feel generous it seems).

This link at the microsoft site gives the high level differences between Vista Basic and Home Premium, which in a nutshell seems to boil down to 'premium' having a fancy power manager, the 'aero' desktop silliness, and availability of windows media center (along with other bits that don't seem worth mentioning)...

I've played with Home Premium and Pro, with the latter not having the annoying chokes on using the admin tools that are all there (ok, so someone has to find a use for these...) without that much difference in day to day use. I can't comment on Vista Basic from experience - anyone else got it?

EDIT: Actually, I should add that I've given up on Vista as my main desktop now, having switched to Linux, and realised finally that there is a viable alternative to Microsoft for day to day use (even if I do have to keep Vista available to dual-boot to for some things)

I had the wonderful task of doing this for my mother, what a fantastic way to spend a rainy tuesday. Although she had a budget of £400 and finally chose this one which is £387 inc VAT which I think is pretty good value.

Fujitsu

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4641&CategoryID=11&SubCategoryID=#

If you can go £20 over then theres this Asus for £319.99 inc VAT

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133305

I wouldn't touch Vista basic with a barge pole as it is a majorly stripped down version compared to Home Premium or Ultimate. There is no:

Windows Media Centre

Aero Display

Thumbnail display of files

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!