Unofficial Mills

9th March to 15th March 2008

Jono

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm with Scott on this. It confuses me. I used to always turn my phone off at petrol stations, but no one does that any more. When phones first came out we used to do that all the time and loads of posters.

Now everyone has them on and it's hardly noticeable. I used to panic when we'd be on a bus and they'd stop off near a station as no one could be arsed to switch them off.

I can't somehow imagine Scott in a petrol station using a petrol pump. Bet he gets someone else to do it for him.

It's true, a normal plane has never successfully landed on water - so what is it with this lifebelt nonsense?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

it was proven on brainiac that mobile phones don't affect the petrol inside the pumps. richard hammond and some brainiacs put lots of mobiles inside a caravan with loads of open tubs of petrol, and rang all the mobile at the same time and nothing happened!

the thinking behind it is, if you drop your mobile phone in a petrol station there is a very small chance that the battery could cause a spark which could have dire consequences. I once read this in a petrol station. It is a very very small chance, surely any metal object falling could cause a spark !

it was proven on brainiac that mobile phones don't affect the petrol inside the pumps. richard hammond and some brainiacs put lots of mobiles inside a caravan with loads of open tubs of petrol, and rang all the mobile at the same time and nothing happened!

the thinking behind it is, if you drop your mobile phone in a petrol station there is a very small chance that the battery could cause a spark which could have dire consequences. I once read this in a petrol station. It is a very very small chance, surely any metal object falling could cause a spark !

Bit silly though. It's not happened yet. We're more likely to die from the radiation!

I've been to a hospital and told to turn my phone off only for a doctor be on one!

When I was in hospital earlier this year, patients and staff were using mobile phones whenever they felt like it.

Only one ward I was on told a patient they're not aloud to use their mobile phone. But even then, they didn't actually stop them using it.

When I was moved to another ward, all the patients were using their phones and so were the staff. And there was me being all good and leaving my phone off. Well, until I'd been in that ward for a while and I just decided "hahahaha it - everyone is allowed to".

I did have my phone on silent though (eventhough nobody else did), because I think if you're going to have your phone on in hospital, it shouldn't be allowed to bother other patients by constantly ringing, or beeping to tell you that you have a text message.

It probably just plays havoc with those electronic measure things and reduces your bill!

"Battery powered equipment such as mobile phones, pagers, and cameras represent a potential ignition source."

When has anyone ever turned their camera off?

We were told at various levels of Physics (A-Level and Uni) of the dangers of using a mobile in a petrol station, but that the real danager was actually in switching it on/off

That's what I wondered. Surely turning it on and off will cause more of a spark, so we're actually making it worse turning it off!