Unofficial Mills

Jo Whiley fakes seven song shuffle

Jono

A number of BBC staff members have been disciplined after a worker posed as a phone-in competition caller on Jo Whiley's Radio 1 show in April 2006.

The incident came to light after the BBC found a string of other editorial breaches in TV and radio shows.

The BBC said the DJ, who hosts the late morning show, was unaware that the caller was not a member of the public.

On Wednesday, Whiley will apologise on air for the latest editorial slip-up, which happened during a pre-recorded section of her show on 20 April last year.

She usually presents her daily three hour show live, but on this occasion taped part of it so she could be at the opening of the refurbished Broadcasting House in London with the Queen.

A number of CDs were on offer in the competition but the prizes were not awarded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7024288.stm

I love Jo Whiley, but I've still never been convinced the texting and e-mailing part after the seven song shuffle or the changing tracks feature is that truthful. Maybe that's just me. With such a naff phone system at Radio 1 and 10 million listeners I don't blame them for using a fake caller, it's already an unfair system.

Has Radio 1 not realised that they're better off without competitions. I'd much rather hear them plugging to go on Radio 1 Online to enter for tickets to a concert that all these 'cue to calls' and constant callers on the air. They managed to get the message across with Hard-Fi so why change it?

I think it's ignorance to say Jo didn't know the competition was faked though. There's not that many people working at Radio 1 to not know when they're on your phone line.

as i said before, radio 1 sounds better without all the competitions. it's a nightmare hearing them go on and on about one thing. also, how could they not of caught onto radio 1 faking anything as well when they get people like this on the phone:-

http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/audio/downcount/march2007/18-3-2007-mcr_freak.mp3

?

some form of setup there i think!

on the grid.

I don't get this, TV and radio are not real. Every programme needs editing a bit. I know a few people who work for the news and sometimes they just Shoot the Script.

Say you're supposed to film a local estate cos of all the trouble there, you get there and there's no trouble that day well the news is gonna look pretty crap with a 30 second gap in it so you just find a group of normally well behaved kids, bung em some cash and say "cause havoc for about 30 seconds", film it and then be on your way...

Happens way more often than you'd think.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

I don't get this, TV and radio are not real. Every programme needs editing a bit. I know a few people who work for the news and sometimes they just Shoot the Script.

Say you're supposed to film a local estate cos of all the trouble there, you get there and there's no trouble that day well the news is gonna look pretty crap with a 30 second gap in it so you just find a group of normally well behaved kids, bung em some cash and say "cause havoc for about 30 seconds", film it and then be on your way...

Happens way more often than you'd think.

but they are not asking people to phone in on the belief of winning prizes.

They're not allowed to make money. All their money comes from the license fee. It would have seemed a bit of a cop out to say we're not doing the seven song shuffle, don't phone in cos Jo is off to meet the queen. Bit like deserting her listeners....

I dunno, I just don't mind so much...maybe it's cos i'm used to how radio/tv works.

Well people are hardly chosen at random are they (Actually they're not allowed to be random but hey ho). If you ring up and say "um yes, hello, I'd like to win tickets, I think the answer is the Artic Monkeys thank you" then you're never going to get picked.

You need to say "Whoo, yeah, it's the Artic Monkeys, I love them, they're my fave band ever! Have I won? Do I get the tickets? Whoo yeah!" etc..

Hint for competition entrants, try to sound as though you've drunk 8 cans of red bull and be as annoying as possible and talk a lot.

her show is pre-recorded loads, u can always tell.... for one she doesnt talk to moyles.... then it just doesnt flow in same way... this wasnt a one off at all... and shame on them for not just admitting it... i think all the radio one shows do it.... i know radio 2 do!

Well people are hardly chosen at random are they (Actually they're not allowed to be random but hey ho). If you ring up and say "um yes, hello, I'd like to win tickets, I think the answer is the Artic Monkeys thank you" then you're never going to get picked.

You need to say "Whoo, yeah, it's the Artic Monkeys, I love them, they're my fave band ever! Have I won? Do I get the tickets? Whoo yeah!" etc..

Hint for competition entrants, try to sound as though you've drunk 8 cans of red bull and be as annoying as possible and talk a lot.

yeah spot on... really high pitched voice and act all "crazy", if your a girl... scream.... alot....

bbc dumbing down????never!

Nice to see she put her all into the apology it seemed a case of get it over with as quickly as possible and never mention it again. She should at least buy radio 1 a new cat, i hear blue peter has one going cheep(Tis the BBC after all they'll probably try and pass off a bird as a cat;)

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!

Can't beleive Scott admitted on air this morning that some of his prank phone calls aren't always live....get this he records them and then only plays out the best ones that make the funniest radio.

Can you believe the cheek of it all!