Unofficial Mills

How long will Radio 1 last on FM

onlyME

1 hour ago, onlyME said:

Will they do a BBC3 and close it first? 

I do think BBC Three needs to go back off air yet again and maybe the BBC should consider scrapping the brand and creating a new brand for programming that targets young and diverse audiences under 40 who are seen as digital natives with consideration of adopting more clear guidance of age-ratings and audience suitability communications which could make documentaries on misogyny, mental health and like Jordan North’s new vaping doc with taking out older programmes of two pints of larger and packet of crisps out of that section and making it easier to include CBBC programming under a new brand.

I think Radio 1 could easily go off FM by 2027 and focus on DAB or most importantly BBC Sounds and digital content and maybe making way for the BBC to potentially replace that with a rebrand of 5 Live’s remit of live rolling news coverage and sport that isn’t provided by Radio 4. In future see FM as something that will be most of use for essential and urgent information.

As someone who campaigned for BBC Three to return it's been very disappointing. There was a great opportunity there to showcase more of the BBC Music strand. There's just been a general lack of investment in comedy across TV recently too.

I've only just managed to get DAB in my car - it's a similar problem to BBC Three - you can't really move people elsewhere until they've got the access to alternative means. DAB and 4G/5G coverage is picking up, but still not a given in some areas.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

As someone who campaigned for BBC Three to return it's been very disappointing. There was a great opportunity there to showcase more of the BBC Music strand. There's just been a general lack of investment in comedy across TV recently too.

I've only just managed to get DAB in my car - it's a similar problem to BBC Three - you can't really move people elsewhere until they've got the access to alternative means. DAB and 4G/5G coverage is picking up, but still not a given in some areas.

I had the feeling and knew before hand that bringing BBC Three wouldn’t work going back on terrestrial linear broadcast again after its initial closure in 2016. As the audience that it was targeting in the 00s and early 10s now become the working adult generation that BBC One and Two now are to cater for. Most people craved the nostalgia from the programming it had years ago which can get across varying BBC owned networks and on IPlayer and UKTV Pay and in cases due to the legacy of BritBox ITVX. There wasn’t enough new BBC Three content to merit opening the channel back on TV and not enough new stuff being commissioned now most nights it’s littered with repeats and the IPlayer section designated feels sparse and features lot of international series like of The Traitors. They could’ve continued with having the post ten o’clock news on BBC One showcasing content commissioned for young adults as had done when BBC Three was a BBC IPlayer channel exclusively.

Well yes, it needed the investment. It was poorly thought through. As I say, there's plenty of music content out there that would have worked. 

On the original subject, I remember when they used to do DAB exclusive shows on Radio 1. I wonder if there's potential to do more like that to get people switching away from FM. 

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Yes, and although how much I do love BBC radio many radio devices within my house have only been able to recieve BBC DAB stations and not its commercial third party rivals. I think it comes down to size and reach of audiences and something that ahead of the next BBC charter review. There maybe enquiries into where do radio 1 listeners listen to the station and looking at the size of FM listening to see the future of FM.

3 minutes ago, Jono said:

Well yes, it needed the investment. It was poorly thought through. As I say, there's plenty of music content out there that would have worked. 

On the original subject, I remember when they used to do DAB exclusive shows on Radio 1. I wonder if there's potential to do more like that to get people switching away from FM. 

If people want music content they have the option of BBC Two and it has worked well for BBC Four to host repeats of Top Of The Pops. I feel with the demise of music channels on television. There’s only a small volume of hours a major tv network could dedicate for music content to make a sustainable audience to give a sense of value to its commission.

If even looking at the Radio 1 IPlayer channel they don’t feature all the latest live lounges for videos and for those who wish to watch performances are likely to go to youtube. I do think the BBC should be a culture passport to showcase unique and original content but think it should be apart of the flagship channels. 

BBC 2 and 4 are considered for old people. The best they can muster up these days is Top of the Pops from the 80s with some dodgy DJs removed. The BBC seems far removed from catering for young people. Even ITV shows Capital Radio events. If you want to see Radio 1's Big Weekend on TV you have to watch it on a Monday night at 11pm.

Airing old Top Gear, Masterchef, Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of crisps, Gavin and Stacey re-runs of the Gladiators and The Apprentice. Atleast most of its tv output I dont see BBC Three as much of a youth channel as a Gen Z’er. I think when it comes to its terrestrial channel output it will become smaller choice of channels and think the flagship channels could go back to how they started as the main BBC One as showcase of the BBC at its best and if it were down to me I’d have the Mercury Prize and the Proms on BBC One with BBC Two being the extra station and with it being less generational dividies. I dont see why they cant put live coverage of Big Weekend and other events that Radio 1 cover across BBC One in more prime time positions not late and off-peak.

I have DAB in my pride and joy. However I drive a runaround as well to keep the miles off it, which is a grandad car and probably still has a tape deck if I look hard enough. So I think FM will be about a fair bit longer.

Im old enough to remember the big DAB push in 2002. Adverts all over local commercial radio saying switch over now, or it will be like pre world war 2 come 2006. Never happened.

on the grid.