I'm working at Radio 1 this week...

Jono

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one to shake a fist at, I should be having a meeting about Rate My Listener now, to tell them my ideas. But they've all disappeared again.

Apparently this is a busy time of year, so I'd hate to see the place when it isn't busy!

I'm listening to The Thrills now. Bliss.

I was talking to some bloke who lives in a telephone about Frozen Indigo Angel today. Well he's the big wig, but doesn't actually work in the office... so you have to talk over a telephone. He was saying how the scenes where security threw Denchfield out are actually real. The security didn't know he was coming, so he got thrown out.

i lost track of all that after 4 pages. i still dont get what it was about, i think some people still think it's real though.

He said that's what he liked. The fact some people thought it was bollocks, whilst others knew it was a viral but intrigued, and those hooked on it.

Apparently it caused a huge security scare at the BBC, as the security guards contacted the rest of the BBC and the BBC thought people were trying to get in to Radio 1 and all of the BBC buildings was on red alert.

How did the show go? Be jealous I just got to be a DJ using the moyles jingles and play music in Y4 next to judge jules and trevor nelson came in asking if i was doing a pilot. And i was working with the producer of Dave Peace and Pete Tong's shows. She have me freebies!

How did the show go? Be jealous I just got to be a DJ using the moyles jingles and play music in Y4 next to judge jules and trevor nelson came in asking if i was doing a pilot. And i was working with the producer of Dave Peace and Pete Tong's shows. She have me freebies!

you lucky b'stard, working next to the judge. and he's in on a friday? whats the world coming to?

on the grid.

God, I had to label ROTs when I did my work experience, its the most awful thing in the world - but its good experience. And open large amounts of posts and hand it around the office. Working in BBC Radio is so rock and roll. Are you back next week jono?

507033771.183.1247039672.png

Sunday - Earls Court

The hotel was RUBBISH! There was a lady on the reception who had bird poo in her hair, wouldn't even move to reach the stapler in front of her, and birds crawled over her shoulder. The curtains had dead flies on them, the carpet was stained, and there was a prominent smell of smoke in the room.

Monday - Radio 1

Getting the tube wasn't too much of a problem, but was something I'd feared. Had a meeting with the online department, and then was given a laptop. But it seemed they didn't have much equipment to let me use, bit rubbish for an online department really...? Got a grand tour of the building, and then was shown how the podcasts and stuff were updated. Bit disappointed I didn't get to do anything, but early days.

After six o'clock, when I was due to go home, and after surfing MSN and UM for the afternoon, Scott and team invited me downstairs to the basement. I got to see how the show was going out, and sit in Laura's place for the hour. Then went out for a drink with Scott for an hour or two. Met amongst others Edith, Aled, and Chris the Magician.

Tuesday

Tuesday was a little more exciting. I got to sit in during the 12.45 Newsbeat programme, and got to see Will edit the video podcast up in his 'shed'. Met the new press officer too. Still hadn't actually used a computer for any work. But I had been officially scheduled in to see with the show, so went down again at 3pm and sat in during the preparations. The show was good, and was amused by some of the crazy callers coming through. Enjoyed seeing Zane through the glass during the cross-overs.

Wednesday

Wednesday was another slow day in the online department. Was given a box of 300 tapes of Will's and was told to label them. Was a bit of a disappointing day, but the Mills team said I could down at 3pm and call back some people who had texted in the day before. Many were "driving" or "working" which is understandable but a feeble excuse I felt. But I got three or four callers lined up, and we gave some calls back to them during the show. Was also given numbers of people to ring back during the show, but many weren't answering.

Then went out for the night with TOTDS and Scott, and some people who were to do with music and R1. Still not quite sure who they were! But it featured going to a pub, then going to Blow Up Metro, and then back to another pub. Saw The Anomalies that Jo Whiley had played before and they were rather good. Had a good night out there, and some amusing chats.

Thursday

Very disappointing day. Literally did nothing apart from e-mail and sit on Unofficial Mills. The majority of tapes were done, and felt very out of place. I was starting to think things were way to laid back there, and whilst there was the 'experience', there was no 'work'. Realised the online department is probably something I wouldn't want to work in. Still amazed by the amount of people who when told I'm 'Jono from Unofficial Mills' know exactly who I am. They all seemed amazed I do the work all for free too.

Friday

Nothing much going on in the online department again, as everyone was packing for Six Weeks of Summer. Went to Maida Vale for the Biffy Clyro Live Lounge. Nice chaps. And presumed that was it for the day, so sat on the laptop. But in the afternoon I met a producer of Dave Pearce and Tong's show, and she was very enthusiastic about my website and getting to talk to me. She'd been researching teenager stuff to make shows and sites more appealing to teens. I talked about websites we all like to visit, spoke to people from Annie Mac's sunday shows, and explained the differences there are in teens. That some will love Fearne and Reggie, others will hate them and prefer Moyles/Mills/JK and Joel. I showed her the stuff we talked about on UM and set her up on facebook.

To return the favour she gave me some amazing new albums, and took me down to Y4 where I was playing Moyles jingles, and learning how to work the desk. She said I was very confident at talking, and thought I was quite good at picking up how to use the desk.

She also wanted to use some of the UM clips for a talk she's doing. Judge Jules was next door and kept talking through the intercom, and Trevor Nelson popped in. Also made a fool of myself by walking past security without showing my badge, right in front of Steve Lamacq. I felt the work in those two hours was more productive than I'd done in the online department.

The week

It had its ups and downs. Had I have not got to work elsewhere in the building it would have been a huge let down. I did eventually get used to the crazy hotel, and feel very confident with the tube now. Not used to go to Pret-A-Mange, McDonalds and Starbucks every day. You have to go thirty miles here to find those sort of places. It was my first time away from home, but a great experience. Hopefully I've made some new contacts. I just need to get some more money together now!

I would like to have done so, but there wasn't many "hands-on" tasks for a work experience boy to be doing during the week.

It was quite amusing when Aled and Chris popped up, they were like "hey! you alright there? we came up to get something technical sorted tomorrow but it appears it's just you in the whole office..."

Believe me, I enjoyed the work, it was just a shame there wasn't as much going on with the guys that I had been set to work with. The only task I had was to label Will's video tapes, the rest was just watching others. Which I appreciate is important, but doesn't show my potential.

It's not until you're away from it all you can reflect on what you've done!

You should be proud of what you've achieved and considered yourself to be extremely lucky to have been given the oppuninity. Considering how many weeks you have in a year, not many people get to work at Radio 1.

You should now build up on experience you've got. A lot of people know the site and yourself. There are not many sites that have achieved that kind of status as yours has.

You just got to be part of the team, I get the feeling some aspects where a bit of let down for you but these needs to be taken into consideration. They were obviously not at a very busy time due to external events etc. Working in the media can be laid back - I get the feeling you were expecting to given loads of stuff. Bear in mind you all have to start somewhere, but you've done more than others.

Oh definitely, but I'm not someone who comes out of something and says "hey that was great", I like to be a bit of a perfectionist. I have come out thinking "wow that was great, shame it was only a week" but at the same time I think I could have been involved in more.

It has fuelled my passion immensely. But I got the feeling I should be finding the work to do, and that was difficult when people were all out of office and in meetings. And whilst you say Six Weeks Of Summer is a huge event, I would have said it would mean they would want more people to get involved. Remember I've spent ages doing Unofficial Mills, so I do appreciate how much work goes into a website, and it would have been good to use some of that knowledge to help out. Even the smallest of tasks. Something worthy of getting a reference for.

Contacts contacts contacts. Very nice of the Producer to allow you in to Y4. Think of the things youve done or observed.

How many can say you've used the desk of R1's Y4? (You've used a VGS playout system)

How many people can say they've sat in on a show with a experienced Radio Presenter, Scott Mills? You've made calls for the show and spoke to the audience etc.

You've observed how the podcasts and certain interactivity is put together etc. I'm sure you've learn't about how the website is put together.

Labeling tapes can still be put on the cv - etc. Just think of everything you did during that week and write up some roles etc.

Okay, so I was think you'd be getting longer there? But hey, if they liked you - you never know they might ask you back in the future. This is what usually happens with Work Experience people. If you're interested in Radio/Interactivity side of - its worth maybe getting in touch with other stations and seeing if they need people to do work experience for the website.

You have written for newspapers and currently a "sofa" guest for local radio. We have to start somewhere and having a least expected week at Radio 1 where it wasn't very busy. Rather than worrying about the week you've just had - go ahead and realise what happens next. Have a plan of direction. Do you keep in touch with your contacts at Radio 1 who'll be able to offer you more experience or small contracts etc? Remember the summer is coming up - they might ask you back?

Just because you're not going to university, doesn't mean to say you can't get in touch with Livewire to see if they need anyone to help out. Once a week, it'll be good experience, i think they have good studios there. You might even get a show in the future. I joined GU2 Radio and had a great time.

I think you can go really far if you try. You must have a few contacts - make more! And write a letter to that nice lady who invitied you into the studio to teach you about the desk! A) they wont expect and B) she'll remember you!

Example of what I got up to when working for Radio 4:

- Overseeing, greeting, providing and briefing show contributors

- Assisting Broadcasting Assistant, Assistant Producers and Producers with running

orders

- Researching news items and suggesting suitable press releases and listener stories

- Sorting recording of transmissions (ROT),

- Updated show contributor contact list database

- Replying to listener correspondents (emails and letters), answering listener phone

calls and suggesting suitable callers for on-air to producer

- Contributing to post-show feedback meetings, expressing views and suggesting ideas.

- Collecting tapes, props and parcels for production team

- Handing out post and messages to colleagues within the production team

- Provided Presenters with refreshments in the studio

Hey Jono - you sound a bit less excited than I'd expect but you so shouldn't be, you have so much going for you!

It must've been intimidating being your first time away from home and I admire your courage about the hotel, it shows such dedication. The hotel scared you but you weathered it and did all that was expected and more. :)

Also, being the person who runs a site that is read and posted on by the actual Scott himself and other Radio 1 staff is a mega achievement on its own.

Online Department sounds alright to me - what's bad about being laid back? Shame they had so much secret stuff going on, especially as you would never have told anyway even if it was revealed to you.

Hope you get asked back for later in the summer, or get another placement that's right for you and gives you good experience. :)

UM is a nice place

How many can say you've used the desk of R1's Y4? (You've used a VGS playout system)

It seemed quite easy to use, it gets a bit complex when loading the three tracks of music, but it's a nice system.

How many people can say they've sat in on a show with a experienced Radio Presenter, Scott Mills? You've made calls for the show and spoke to the audience etc.

Very enjoyable. I'm quite a nervous person, but just saying "Hi it's Jono from Radio 1 calling on behalf of Scott Mills" feels quite powerful!

If you're interested in Radio/Interactivity side of - its worth maybe getting in touch with other stations and seeing if they need people to do work experience for the website.

The problem is the local radio stations here are so small, it literally is the bare minimum. You say 'can I work in this department' and their response is generally 'we don't have one of them'. I think my only hope is BBC Norfolk.

Just because you're not going to university, doesn't mean to say you can't get in touch with Livewire to see if they need anyone to help out. Once a week, it'll be good experience, i think they have good studios there. You might even get a show in the future. I joined GU2 Radio and had a great time.

I have been in touch with them the last few days, but not sure if any one is around now it's summer.

I think you can go really far if you try. You must have a few contacts - make more! And write a letter to that nice lady who invitied you into the studio to teach you about the desk! A) they wont expect and B) she'll remember you!

She is certainly someone who gave me the confidence in radio. She gave me her e-mail address as she needs advice and suggestions for her project.

Hey Jono - you sound a bit less excited than I'd expect but you so shouldn't be, you have so much going for you!

I'm not trying to give off a less excited impression, I am just tired, and I have told so many people my stories I'm exhausted. But poor Scott, he knew the department might not have much going, so was trying to bring me down to the studios as much as possible.

Also, being the person who runs a site that is read and posted on by the actual Scott himself and other Radio 1 staff is a mega achievement on its own.

That is what amazed me. People coming up to me and saying "oh I have spoken to you before" and people saying "your run UM? everyone in the office is looking at that during the day!"

Wow, sounds like you had a great week Jono. There might have been boring bits, but still, what an experience!

I love that Scott kept bringing you in to sit in on shows, it really shows that he appreciates you. Personally, I think the work you've done with this site is amazing. I love it here.

I'm actually quite scared by the fact that loads of important people at Radio One read what we say. I sometimes forget that a lot of the team are reading, which means I forget that I'm embarrassing myself a lot more than I thought I was!

Basically, well done you! :)

If Radio 1 are reading the site, it shows they are appreciating it. I suppose we've now got to remember that 'other' people are looking in and we have to be constructive in our comments.

I guess you can say we pretty much love the bley show and everything else. Its kinda like a personal acknowledgment to everyone. Its nice to know anyway.