Unofficial Mills

European Radio Awards 2007

~bex~

For the first time, radio professionals across Europe have the opportunity to participate in a pan European Radio Awards.

The awards intend to span over 3,500 terrestrial radio stations and thousands more internet, community and satellite stations across Europe. The European Radio Awards are being organised by Talkabout Media, responsible for the International Radio Conference in Dubai, and are presented in association with JonesTM and Broadcast Architecture.

"It makes excellent sense to provide a new competition showcase of the best work by broadcasters across the European Union's diverse and dynamic radio markets. We all stand to gain from the opportunity," said Julian Allitt, managing director, JazzRadio 101.9 Berlin.

The awards will feature a wide array of categories, with a strong focus on individual and team entries, as well as awards for technology driven radio and Internet only radio stations. A full list of categories will be released shortly.

"Having worked with the European radio industry for the past twenty years, all of us at Broadcast Architecture are honored to be involved with the first ever European Radio Awards. Many of the brightest and most talented radio people in the world reside within the European marketplace. This is a wonderful initiative," said Allen Kepler, president, Broadcast Architecture.

Steve Martin, editor/business change manager, BBC World Service said: "With its heritage of both publicly funded and commercial stations, European radio is as diverse and energetic as any on the planet. And it needs to be in order to satisfy the huge numbers of increasingly mobile and connected people in Europe. The European Radio Awards sounds like a great way to celebrate those stations that are rising to the challenges of today's digital planet."

Judging for the European Radio Awards will be via a carefully selected panel of judges from across Europe. Entry fees for the awards have been priced extremely competitively allowing not only radio station led entries, but giving the chance for individuals to showcase their talents.

"It’s important that all radio professionals, including freelance staff and newcomers to the industry have the opportunity to participate. By pricing the awards at a competitive level, individuals are no longer reliant on financial support from their employers in order to enter," said Rick Houghton, managing partner, European Radio Awards.

The awards ceremony will take place in a major European city later this year. Full details will be announced shortly.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/radio/a65490/european-radio-awards-2007-announced.html

I've heard French and German radio are great for late night dance music. The French do however have a law stipulating the percentage of foreign music which is allowed to be played on their national radio stations, resulting in the fact that more or less 80 percent MUST be from France. Sometimes, but not always a good thing!

Unfortunately I have yet to find a decent radio station here in Spain. It's all really dodgy music and really unprofessional ADVERTS! Scott would be in his element (if he spoke Spanish). I want to pay a license fee!!! There is tonnes of good music here though, unfortunately they don't play enough of it!

I can't even imagine which Spanish radio stations will be nominated for this award. None probably. Why do you think I need S & M (Scott & Moyles) so much?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I go on holiday to the South of France every summer, and I always end up listening to this really awful station called "Riviera Radio". The only reason I listen to it is because it's actually in English, and they have BBC Worldwide News played every hour, so I can keep track of what's going on. They only seem to have about 6 songs on their playlist though lol, and they are always still playing the same songs every year - particularly Tina Turner's What's Love Got To Do With It. the absolute worst thing about the station though has to be the adverts it plays. The station is clearly aimed at English people living in the Riviera, so all the adverts are for things like "Do you need staff for your yacht?" which I find ridiculous lol.