Unofficial Mills

Channel 4 wins radio multiplex bid

Peñate

Channel 4 has won the war to win space on DAB for 11 new stations. They are expected to launch on February 29, 2008.

Their offering

• E4 Radio - interactive music and entertainment station for 15- to 29 year-olds, spin-off from E4 TV channel
  • Channel 4 Radio - contemporary speech-based station for 30- to 54-year-olds, offering comment, drama, comedy and documentary programming
  • Pure4 - knowledgeable, accessible radio station offering music and modern culture, from Channel 4
  • Talk Radio - from UTV
  • Closer - spin-off from Emap magazine title, targeting women 30+ with mix of current and classic chart music
  • Sky News Radio - 24-hour rolling radio news joint venture between BSkyB and Chrysalis
  • Sunrise Radio UK - station offering mix of Asian music and culture
  • Virgin Radio Viva - aimed at women 15-30
  • Original - album-led music station for 40- to 59-year-olds, from Canadian company CanWest
  • Radio Disney - children's station offering music, entertainment and education

And

• 4 Digital will also offer podcasts from Gaydar, Club Asia, NME, IMG, Penguin, Financial Times, Prince's Trust, Media Trust and Colourful.
  • The group is also promising enhanced electronic programme guides, music downloads, screen-based information, mobile TV and video services, and travel and traffic information for road users.

Bring back DJ Spoony!

It will be good to have a 24 hour news channel that isn't Five Live or TalkSport. But stations that enthuse me are the stations that have DJs. So unless I'm Asian, I'm a bit screwed for that. But it will be interesting to see how Channel 4 use their own branded channels. They've made a lot of podcasts which they want to feature on the stations such as Lost podcasts, Big Brother podcasts, even Richard and Judy podcasts. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

They have clearly tried to appeal to most age groups, I can see Radio Disney soon disappearing though. It wasn't much of a success when Capital Disney was about. And Closer, another of those naff radio stations on Freeview and Sky like Q, Heat, Mojo and Smash Hits Radio.

They have clearly tried to appeal to most age groups, I can see Radio Disney soon disappearing though. It wasn't much of a success when Capital Disney was about. And Closer, another of those naff radio stations on Freeview and Sky like Q, Heat, Mojo and Smash Hits Radio.

Capital Diseny closed as the "Diseny " group wanted to fund their own station and so pulled out of the partnership that they had with Capital (or G-Cap as it is now).

That Original station should be good ive heard good reviews about it, it plays alot of Album tracks, although the music is aimed at 40 + so not many people here will be in the the target group but gives a good choice to the listener.

"Just one more game, I promise"

• 1 year later...