Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Studios

Frenchie

I'm pretty sure I went on a tour round some parts of the building when I was younger... are all the BBC radio stations based there? I definitely remember hearing that Radio 4 had their studios there.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

Radio 1 comes from Yalding House, as Gill points out, with Radio 1 Online, 1Xtra and Newsbeat. Most of the other stations come from Broadcasting House. There are plans to move them all into Broadcasting House, but these studios are fairly new, so not sure when this will be.

As for the studios, to be honest I've lost count, as they have all be refurbished over the last few years - Moyles and Mills share one - and every time a new one has been made they move to that one. But I think there's about four, labelled "Y1", "Y2", "Y3" etc.

There's also the 1Xtra Studios, the Newsbeat Studios, and the Live Lounge. There is of course Maida Vale too which some Live Lounge performances come from, as does events like the Christmas Party. But it's used by several BBC stations.

including the one that they do newsbeat from, they might have two of them. radio 1 have studio's everywhere to say though, like mark & lard used to broadcast from manchester.

Mugshots.jpg

but anywhere can be adapted within reason for radio 1, even the question of sport studios

Big_Studio_Hard_At_Work.jpg

and what they looked like before they went all fancy and purple

Girly_Southerners.jpg

now lets stop this thread, chumpy chopper only needs half an excuse.

on the grid.

i can pride myself that i didn't cap those pictures i just nicked them from a website.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/nerdware/r1webcam/

please dont hurt me chopper.

btw i always wondered how they got the playlist over to mark and lard, did they post copies of the cd's up to manchester every week? or were they linked to the system in london somehow?

on the grid.

Hiya,

Radio 1 has their own building (Yalding House) which is shared with 1xtra. Radio 2 and 6 Music shared Weston House. Radio 3, 4 & 7 are based in the main broadcasting house. 5 Live is again based in its own building.

Radio 1 has four studios..

507033771.183.1247039672.png

You'd rather he said how wonderful the website is instead? You think people would visit then? I don't think it's in Chopper's character to praise things. People are more likely to visit things that are mentioned less positively. I think one of Chopper's mentions about the typo in '69 magazine' was one of the big hitters.

So what you're saying is - regardless of the content of the website - if things are said in a less than gentle way - people will visit more? For example, Moyles has been mentioning Moylesworld in a similar way.. I suppose I should take back my comment now I realise. Its not something I should really get in a huff about. Is it in the contract of each show for someone to hate a website i.e Comedy Dave? haha

507033771.183.1247039672.png

It does amuse me when people say "did you hear Chappers slagging off Unofficial Mills" or words to that effect. I would imagine it's done with affection... if he really didn't like Unofficial Mills he wouldn't answer questions for us or acknowledge us in the slightest. Interpret it how you want to!

It does amuse me when people say "did you hear Chappers slagging off Unofficial Mills" or words to that effect. I would imagine it's done with affection... if he really didn't like Unofficial Mills he wouldn't answer questions for us or acknowledge us in the slightest. Interpret it how you want to!

yeah i agree.

if he didnt like it that much he wouldnt talk about it

Kitty <3

Lots of chat about the geography of Yalding House on Moyles this morning, first they were talking about the air con, then apparently something went wrong technically and Klaxons were played twice followed by them talking about the various studios and using different ones each, 3 different ones. I think this all started about 7.20 ish, I was in the shower during part of it

Moyles commented it happened to JK and Joel during the chart show though I don't remember hearing any sign of anything wrong during that. It's a complete feast of talking about technical difficulties and the studios, almost as if they did it just to entertain us! :)

UM is a nice place