Unofficial Mills

10 Things You Didn't Know This Time Last Week

James

Snippets harvested from the week's news, chopped, sliced and diced for your weekend convenience.

1. One in 18 people has a third nipple.

More details

2. More than 100 tons of ripe tomatoes are splattered about in Spain's Tomatina Festival.

3. The crumbed batter around fish fingers is cooked so quickly the fish inside stays frozen. In all, preparation and packaging takes just 35 minutes.

More details

4. The Spanish smoke more Gauloise cigarettes than the French.

More details

5. Michael Sheard, who played Grange Hill's terrifying deputy head Mr Bronson and who died this week, also appeared in the Empire Strikes Back (he played Admiral Ozzel) and in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (he played Hitler).

More details

6. The section of coast around Cleethorpes has the highest concentration of caravans in Europe.

More details

7. George Clooney's father was a television news anchor.

8. China makes about 40% of the world's socks.

9. And it has around 24,000 coal mines - more than 3,000 miners have been killed this year alone, in fires, floods and other work-related accidents. More details

10. Road signs in an Austrian village - whose seven-letter name begins with "F" and ends in "ing" - are now encased in theft-proof concrete to stop tourists stealing them.

Is this place just becoming a mirror site for BBC news?

I expect "Monitor Letters" to be posted on here everyday next week!

I'm working on it ;)

Hmmm so what didn't I know last week but know now. How disorganised my school are at running a sixth form. And how my friend easily pukes up dairy products...