Unofficial Mills

Cigarette buying age raising to 18

Olly

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think that people who smoke and need transplants related to their smoking or drinking should be put at the bottom of the waiting list, .

But where do you stop? Smokers actually pay massive amounts of extra tax to support their habit, so shouldn't they be seen first?

How about car drivers? It's their fault for getting injured, they must have known that before deciding to drive, should they be put to the bottom of a list? They pollute the air with carcinogenic gases as well.

People with alcohol related injuries, be it cirrhoses or injuries from part the 90% of all violent crime that involves alcohol?

The addictive properties of nicotine is the equal of heroin.(some say more so)

Imagine if the exhaust from cars was as visible as fag smoke, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean your not breathing in all the carcinogens produced constantly by the internal combustion engine.

Personally I hate smoking, and I am a smoker. I've failed to quit more times than I care to mention. It's the only vice I have left, and it'll probably kill me.

I suppose between smoking and the car or war and disease, I think I'd pick the former to cull the human race on this over populated dot of rock.

Half theses stupid laws wouldn't be needed if people started behaving in a considered manner, but I can't really see that happening any time soon.

Raising the buying age, I can't see it making any difference when you consider the availability of illegal drugs to all and sundry these days.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

But where do you stop? Smokers actually pay massive amounts of extra tax to support their habit, so shouldn't they be seen first?

How about car drivers? It's their fault for getting injured, they must have known that before deciding to drive, should they be put to the bottom of a list? They pollute the air with carcinogenic gases as well.

People with alcohol related injuries, be it cirrhoses or injuries from part the 90% of all violent crime that involves alcohol?

The addictive properties of nicotine is the equal of heroin.(some say more so)

Imagine if the exhaust from cars was as visible as fag smoke, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean your not breathing in all the carcinogens produced constantly by the internal combustion engine.

Personally I hate smoking, and I am a smoker. I've failed to quit more times than I care to mention. It's the only vice I have left, and it'll probably kill me.

I suppose between smoking and the car or war and disease, I think I'd pick the former to cull the human race on this over populated dot of rock.

Half theses stupid laws wouldn't be needed if people started behaving in a considered manner, but I can't really see that happening any time soon.

Raising the buying age, I can't see it making any difference when you consider the availability of illegal drugs to all and sundry these days.

:yeahthat:

I couldn't agree more.

I would like to clarify though, that I wish I had NEVER taken up smoking, and that the less time you have been a smoker, the easier it is to stop...

Good for you Mike! Don't worry we'll all put up with any stroppy nicotine withrawal induced behaviour.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Me too, trust me. I don't have the willpower to quit on my own, and I'm allergic to the patches, so I'll have to see it out for a while yet. I'm not trying to justify it, since I really can't do that, but...well, I don't actually have a point here other than "I am weak".

My dad was a smoker for 16 years, but he gave up when my sister has born. Which makes it alsmost 20 years since he's had a cigarette. See, so you do have the willpower, you just havent found it yet. Theres a glimmer of hope for you kelly ;)

Me too, trust me. I don't have the willpower to quit on my own, and I'm allergic to the patches, so I'll have to see it out for a while yet. I'm not trying to justify it, since I really can't do that, but...well, I don't actually have a point here other than "I am weak".

I'm the same as you, I managed to quit for 6months using zyban. Started smoking again after an idiot in a car used me for brakes, and in the two hour wait for the ambulance managed to puff my way through 3 tabs. That's two things in life I regret, starting smoking, twice. I believe the only benefit nicotine has is if your exposed to it before your 30 it can help ward off Parkinson's disease in later life.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

I think its been done with good intent, and the Idea itself is basically good, but I dont think it will make much of a difference. Smoking should be banned altogether - instead of selling cigarettes, why not set up suicide clinics, where you can get the job done faster, cheaper, and with slightly less pain....

The most heroic act is the one that no-one knows about.

Ban smoking? Never gonna happen. :)

It won't, because the Government make so much money from smokers. I love those people that say the NHS uses all of their resources to look after smokers when they get ill. Bull. Jeremy Clarkson put it best when he said this;

Smokers pay £19,000 a minute to the Exchequer, and that's enough to pay for the whole police force. Or to put it another way, for every £1 we cost the NHS, we give it £3.60. Please don't encourage the state to dictate how I live my life.

I agree and I fully believe that the Government would legalise many drugs if they could, just for the money they could make from the tax.