Unofficial Mills

The Internet and Meeting People

Serin

Do you ever have doubts that people you talk to on the internet might not be who they claim they are?

Could I be a 60-year old trainspotter wearing an anorak claiming to be a 23-year old gay guy living in a small village in Nottinghamshire? Other than webcam pics, you have no proof I am who I claim to be. They could be of some guy I abducted and made to sit there like that, pulling that face!

Do you think people on here really are who they say they are? I don't want to create an atmosphere of paranoia, but do you think it's wise meeting people off of the internet even if you genuinely believe them to be real, mentally stable people?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I always claim to be old and work in a boring job, 'cos really i'm an 18 year old DJ superstar with a fabulous life who's stunningly good looking. I just come on here to live out my alter-ego that I'm old boring and 7/10 looks wise on a good day.

No really.

I think Jono's misleading us, he really is Scott Mills, it's all about Me Me Me me me me ... ... ...

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

Sorin-theres a guy in my School who looks so much like you,that sometimes I think you actually come to 6th form at the same school as me haha

Im actually quieter and less crazier in real life and can string a proper sentance together ;)

twitter.com/emgreatorex

I think Jono's misleading us, he really is Scott Mills, it's all about Me Me Me me me me ... ... ...

ha ha i wish, unfortunately i know jono :-p ;-) and "it's" real :-p

I dont meet people online in real life (unless i knew them beforehand anyways)> but even if i was sure in my head that these people were who they say there are, i would always meet the people with friends and in public places. if people are actually going to meet up, for god sake dont do it alone :cool:

but it can work i think. and most people are who they say they are. its just those rare few who you have to watch out for...

Im actually quieter and less crazier in real life and can string a proper sentance together ;)

I find that VERY hard to believe... judging by some of the mad pics on your myspace... :-p

but it can work i think. and most people are who they say they are. its just those rare few who you have to watch out for...

Yeah... as usual, a few idiots spoiling it for the rest of us...

Both the people off here I've met have been who I expected.

I think there are some warning signs that you shouldn't meet up with someone. Like if they're very keen to meet up, or they want you to come to their house or something, or just generally if you get a bad feeling about it.

There isn't a necessity to meet people though. I have some good friends on the Internet who I've never met and have no plans to meet at the moment, and that's fine. I don't see the Internet as a means to an end - I don't meet people online because I want to meet them in real life. Some I do, but others I continue to be friends with without ever needing to meet them.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'