Unofficial Mills

Universities

Dynamoo

Yeah I need help guys. I got my AS's and I'm not happy with them and am looking at unis now. I have the good uni guide by The Times but obviously all the top ones want AAB/ABB and that's not realistic for me. Anything anyone can tell me about why they went somewhere/how it was/anything else will be greatly appreciated

But I'm not convinced and your hopeless hearts won't stick. For the first time I know, this is now who I am.

http://www.myspace.com/82105668

I worked on the basis that I wanted to be as far away from home as possible. So I decided not to apply to any London unis, just ones that were further away, like Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol (who all rejected me) and Nottingham, Exeter and Leeds (who didn't reject me). Other than that, look at the course content, and the location, and the grades needed to get in, and go on some visits too.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I went to Nottingham Trent (FSW- is going to the other one), I chose it because the course had the right amount of practical to theory ratio for my liking. I loved my time in Nottingham, met people there whom I still go out drinking with at the weekends.

Also it was far enough from home (Portsmouth) for me to "get out there on my own" but close enough so I could get home easily if I really needed to.

I suppose you just have to go with your heart but my advice which you already seem to know is just to find somewhere away from where you live. I only know of a few people who dropped out of university straight away 'cos they thought they'd picked the wrong one. I don't know if it is possible to pick the wrong university.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

Don't worry about your AS grades too much Dynamoo, I ended up with an A, a C and a D in my A levels and and I still got given offers by most of my choices. It was only Bristol that turned me down, haha. I'd go for somewhere that's just far away enough from home to allow you a bit of freedom but not too far away in case you need to get home in an emergency or you get homesick really easily... that's why I chose Birmingham, it's only a couple of hours from where I live.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

If anyone is considering looking at universities, i'd suggest having a read of the message board on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk. It covers (as far as i'm aware) every uni up and down the country and allows people to submit their thoughts (whether considering the uni, a fresher or if you're already a student at the uni). Ask questions as to what people think about particular courses, there is a high chance someone will be able to give you their views or have friends who take that course.

• 2 months later...

How are people finding it all?

See I don't think I'd want to do it. The whole cash crisis and like Lucinda, moaning about the lack of television (or at least the amount of shows she can't see).

My ICT teacher was on about when he went to the tutition fees were all paid for, I'd have considered it then.

Andy B was telling me about how he didn't pay fees, and got a grant and a student loan when he was at Uni :-|

Seriously though, I'm not too bothered by the lack of TV apart from when everyone on here is going on about what's on the TV. I'd much rather go out, there is so much more to life than TV. University is a great opportunity to spend 3 years deciding what to do with your life and generally having a great time and making great friends. If it wasn't for the rising cost of it, I'd have no problems with it. The numbers of people going to University means that getting a holiday job is almost impossible, and it is more expensive, which is annoying.

I think it's entirely up to the individual whether to go or not. A degree can mean you progress faster at work, but it may not really matter at all.

I'm off now to do some actual work, as I have lots of deadlines and have been ignoring it, the crappy side to University.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'