Unofficial Mills

The Scott Mills Show Discussion Thread

OohErr

I figured that instead of passing comment in the chatbox all the time it would make sense to start a thread about the Scott Mills show for observations that don't warrant their own thread. Stuff you liked, stuff you didn't like, stuff you've noticed - anything goes really.

So I'll start by saying the same stuff I said in the chatbox about today's show.

Thought it was really good. Really funny chats and just particularly enjoyable. Also the podcast was a respectable 36 minutes - although that may be down to really long jingles between each segment and leaving long bits of the songs in. I like how Scott's involving the team more these days - it's definitely shifted to more of a zoo format in recent weeks, hasn't been like this since the Beccy and Chappers days.

Also, Brick By Boring Brick has been on Bangers at least twice before - I always notice because I hear Scott saying "Barry the Castle" in my head. That said, still a robbery.

17 hours ago, OohErr said:

I figured that instead of passing comment in the chatbox all the time it would make sense to start a thread about the Scott Mills show for observations that don't warrant their own thread. Stuff you liked, stuff you didn't like, stuff you've noticed - anything goes really.

So I'll start by saying the same stuff I said in the chatbox about today's show.

Thought it was really good. Really funny chats and just particularly enjoyable. Also the podcast was a respectable 36 minutes - although that may be down to really long jingles between each segment and leaving long bits of the songs in. I like how Scott's involving the team more these days - it's definitely shifted to more of a zoo format in recent weeks, hasn't been like this since the Beccy and Chappers days.

Also, Brick By Boring Brick has been on Bangers at least twice before - I always notice because I hear Scott saying "Barry the Castle" in my head. That said, still a robbery.

If you thought yesterday's 36 minutes was respectable, you'll enjoy today's 43 minutes - very rare for the 1pm-4pm slot. I haven't listened to it yet, but I suspect that they've used really long jingles in the podcast like they did yesterday.

Interesting that on the show today, Scott and Chris were discussing what would happen if Scott was to resign or was sacked (this came off the back of a discussion point that mentioned a guy writing a 'Sorry for your loss' card to his bosses, announcing he quit). Scott said that when the time comes, he would personally like to make the decision himself as opposed to being forced out. He said that if he was forced out, he would exit in style with hidden secrets potentially being revealed.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, Jordan12 said:

Interesting that on the show today, Scott and Chris were discussing what would happen if Scott was to resign or was sacked (this came off the back of a discussion point that mentioned a guy writing a 'Sorry for your loss' card to his bosses, announcing he quit). Scott said that when the time comes, he would personally like to make the decision himself as opposed to being forced out. He said that if he was forced out, he would exit in style with hidden secrets potentially being revealed.

As entertaining as that show would be, I hope I don't have to hear it for a very long time.

I was trying to read deeper into what Scott was saying but it was difficult - I *think* he was implying he's not ready to go just yet? Which is good news. But it's interesting that he said he's been thinking about how he'll leave for years - I remember him saying in 2012 that at the end of his next contract that would probably be it but it seems he's had a change of heart since then.

On 18/02/2018 at 12:54 PM, OohErr said:

As entertaining as that show would be, I hope I don't have to hear it for a very long time.

I was trying to read deeper into what Scott was saying but it was difficult - I *think* he was implying he's not ready to go just yet? Which is good news. But it's interesting that he said he's been thinking about how he'll leave for years - I remember him saying in 2012 that at the end of his next contract that would probably be it but it seems he's had a change of heart since then.

That's what I picked up from it too - he's not ready to go yet, but he'd like the choice to go at a time of his choosing as opposed to being forced out in a way that Chris Moyles was, for example.

I would like to see Scott stay at Radio 1 until at least the end of this decade, anyway. I have no idea when he actually celebrates his 20 year anniversary at the station though. I know it's definitely this year. Would it be around the same time as Aled, perhaps?

2 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

I have no idea when he actually celebrates his 20 year anniversary at the station though. I know it's definitely this year. Would it be around the same time as Aled, perhaps?

12th October according to Genome (Emma B - whooooo - was on from the 5th to the 9th, and before then Chris Moyles was on. http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/radio1/england/1998-10-11

9 hours ago, OohErr said:

12th October according to Genome (Emma B - whooooo - was on from the 5th to the 9th, and before then Chris Moyles was on. http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/radio1/england/1998-10-11

A wee while yet then! It certainly sounds as though he isn't ready to leave yet, and I hope Ben Cooper has picked up on that. 

That's a bad sign - it sort of suggests that the Maya Jama Fridays won't just be the normal show where Maya Jama happens to be a contributor in a Chris/Beccy style role, but they will be focussed on her like she's a guest being interviewed, but EVERY WEEK. Yawn. I wonder how long it will go on for?

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

That's a bad sign - it sort of suggests that the Maya Jama Fridays won't just be the normal show where Maya Jama happens to be a contributor in a Chris/Beccy style role, but they will be focussed on her like she's a guest being interviewed, but EVERY WEEK. Yawn. I wonder how long it will go on for?

I think we can safely the BRITs will be the biggest talking point tomorrow (given Maya's connection to Stormzy, shall we say!).

I heard a bit of the show, and I'll catch up on the rest on the podcast later. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I didn't hate it and I don't think it was awful. There was some quite funny stuff relating to Maya actually - getting her old teacher on and the like. A lot of the focus of the show was on Maya though - I guess that makes sense seeing as it was her first week, it'll be interesting to see how she beds in when the show isn't all about her. 

I did think Scott was being extra slick today though, which I quite enjoyed - showing Maya how the professionals do it. I didn't hear the first link but I think they were making a bit of a joke about Maya saying Scott's show on a Friday is her "warm up". Please - being on the Scott Mills show IS the main event. Give it the respect it deserves. Also, the Friday mix is now the full 3:30 half hour and judging by what I heard today, there might be new jingles for Greatest Hits this weekend - which would be a shame, the hearing the old jingles were the best bit for me. 

9 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

I tell you something, regardless of how well Maya did today, she has given us a 51 minute podcast!

You know what, fair play. 

4am (slightly drunk) thoughts: I really really love that dancey ramp Scott uses at the moment - he played it at 2:51 today and it's just SO GOOD.

6 hours ago, OohErr said:

Anyone else not really feeling the Take Me Out game? Maybe it's cause I don't watch the show, but I just don't find it that entertaining.

Their responses (especially Scott's) are quite funny, but it's not a feature I would miss if they stopped doing it.

1 hour ago, LSR1 said:

I’d much rather them do more of the google game or the who game, which they havent done in ages!

On one of the shows last week, Scott did read out a text or tweet from a listener asking when the next who game would be and Scott did say that they have done one for a while, so I guess we'll wait and see...

This is not to do with the show per se, but with the podcast. I have noticed that this week, the podcasts have been interrupted by a trail for Niki and Sammy's 'Peachy Podcast'. It's a clever idea, but they have that whole forced fun and cheesiness that Dan and Phil (whoooooo!) had going on and it's annoying me. 

Jordan, I think I'm in love with you. Or at least as in love as you can be with a (presumably male) stranger off a Scott Mills forum. 

I just heard their interruption on the podcast and came here to write basically everything you just wrote. Totally agree, especially the Dan and Phil comparison. Hit the nail on the head.

On another note, Scott just mentioned his "friend Robbie" who's married now... I reckon he was talking about Robbie Williams. They're on the record as being mates.