Unofficial Mills

Horse Advice - Help !!

Viv

Basically in one of the areas I walk in, there is a herd of horses, and I am not 100% sure these animals are being cared for properly.

Basically, one of them appears to have purple and yellow around its belly, where the skin appears to have worn away.... what would be wrong? Would it be wise to ring the RSPCA? Thing is, if I do that, the person who owns the animals may be getting this situation attended to?!?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanx.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

If it's just one maybe just try keeping an eye on it for a day or two, if it gets worse and looks like it's not being treated then I would get someone to take a look at it. Could be a number of things really. Is it at the bottom of it's belly or going all over the back?

Rain scald is pretty common at the moment due to all the rain.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Thanx. Yup, someone else suggested rain scald. It is around the belly/underbelly. will keep an eye on it. some of the others look very thin and some have sore eyes. they don't seem to have much shelter and are not well groomed at all. will monitor the situation, and, if it does not improve, ring the rspca.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Firstly they would need to be put in a stable so they wouldn't get rained on while it was treated and cleared up. Then bathing in an antibacterial shampoo twice daily until the condition clears, sometimes its also good to get antibiotics depending on how bad it is. After it's all cleared up it's best the horse always wears a rug out in the rain as it is much easier to get it again.

Dealers usually don't care much if they plan to sell to the glue factory or abroad.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson