Unofficial Mills

Capital Radio to take on Radio 1

Jono

I used to live in Derby for about 8 years and listened to Ram FM before i got hooked on R1. I have just gone to have a look at their website and a cheeky listen and was horrified to see the dreaded Capital logo. I was pleased to see Dino and Pete had survived the cull but what about the amazing Andy Miller!?

Capes :)

LOL I have no idea what any of you are talking about :D I never bothered with local radio, I listen to either Radio 1, NME or Absolute radio (sometimes).

I did see the haters on the Facebook pages, yeah, um, it seems like it was a bad decision on management's part or whoever. Many of the listeners seem to be intent on murder or something.

One comment I have seen re: Trent FM in particular going was "Hope it means the end of jo and bloody twiggy" (or rather Twiggy and Emma as it is now, but which is equally shite having been subjected to this bilge).

Interesting thing about Twiggy and Emma is Emma appears to be more of a presenter rather than just Mark's sidekick. Maybe Capital management like her.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

brmb has/was been under capital for years. when steve penk used to be on there, his show also used to go across the network. and he'd say hello to all the stations across the network at the start of his show (red dragon, capital london, brmb etc). around 1999-2005 brmb actually used to be ok, but g cap took it out and it just sounds terrible now.

on the grid.

LOL I have no idea what any of you are talking about :D I never bothered with local radio

It's for the best. Local radio nowadays is awful, with a few exceptions. Tragically awful. The only stations worth bothering with are the national BBC stations. BBC Local stations judging from what I've heard aren't too much better than local commercial radio.

brmb has/was been under capital for years. when steve penk used to be on there, his show also used to go across the network. and he'd say hello to all the stations across the network at the start of his show (red dragon, capital london, brmb etc). around 1999-2005 brmb actually used to be ok, but g cap took it out and it just sounds terrible now.

the people at my work listen to brmb quite often, especially that 'guess the year thing', hate isn't a strong enough word, i wish brmb would just fuck off & die !

:)

It's for the best. Local radio nowadays is awful, with a few exceptions. Tragically awful. The only stations worth bothering with are the national BBC stations. BBC Local stations judging from what I've heard aren't too much better than local commercial radio.

No, I don't think that's fair, although it depends what you want from local radio. If you want entertainment, chart music etc, mixed in with local stuff - then yes, you're stuffed these days. ILR stopped doing that years ago.

If you want local news and chat, then BBC local radio is right up your street. It's genuinely local, and isn't trying to be something it's not. And to be honest, some of their evening shows aren't bad for background listening as I've discovered over the past few week. (I'm served by BBC Bristol). But it doesn't do chart pop - probably more of a Radio 2 mixture I'd say.

If you want "get involved, get listening, entertainment" radio - then yes, I'd agree. No-one can touch BBC network radio at the moment. Is that a sad reflection on commercial radio, or a positive reflection on the state of BBC radio, or a mixture of both? I'm not sure.

If you want "get involved, get listening, entertainment" radio - then yes, I'd agree. No-one can touch BBC network radio at the moment. Is that a sad reflection on commercial radio, or a positive reflection on the state of BBC radio, or a mixture of both? I'm not sure.

In terms of listeners the BBC is far ahead of commercial radio, and I think it's a mixture of both. The BBC must be doing something right to be ahead, but commercial radio can't be doing too well otherwise they would be closer behind in terms of listener figures.