Unofficial Mills

Reggie on Saturday

japitts

Looks like Reggie's in for a bit of "hot footing it" on Saturday..

On R1 for the request show until 7, then DJ'ing in Newquay from 10.30pm. That's pushing it a little bit!! Does BBC Cornwall have the facilities to host the request show?

Come to think of it, we're more used to it with Moyles and the karaoke tour nights, but is any BBC regional studio capable of carrying a R1 network show?

I've noticed quite a lot of DJs on R1 and 1Xtra say they're DJing in a location thats quite far from London (like Bristol or York or somewhere) from about 2 hours after they've finished their show. I've always wondered how they travel so far in such a short amount of time. Must be exhausting.

yeah, of course they are... although what's the point. He's awful, and the show doesn't need a PRESENTER (not a dj) in fact it's better without one as there is more music...

Sorry, but I disagree!! Yeah, the Request show is more music-based than some, but it just didn't sound the same on those pre-record ones a few weeks back.

When R1 start having daytime shows pre-recorded without batting much of an eyelid, they're not a great deal better than iPod & tin-pot FM (i.e. Heart among others) IMO.

It takes 3 and half nearly 4 hours to get to Cornwall by train then would have to get another train to Newquay.

BBC Radio Cornwall has a small radio studios in Truro, maybe he should of done it at BBC Devon instead they are bigger.

But I agree Reggie doesnt fit in a request show presenter as he is a bit boring in my opinon. it should be us taking control.

Sami

I understand those who say they want more music and less talk from the presenter, but when I feel that way I turn towards my iPod.

I rarely listen to any of Reggie's shows but when I have, I've always considered him to be more than a competent presenter. He comes across as loving what he does and he usually sounds energetic and gives the show the muscle, pizzazz, punch, spirit and vigour which the Request Show and Chart Show formats, by their very nature, lack.

imho he has done the impossible and dumbed down the format so much it's hardly recognisable, every week on the chart show there is a feature on at least 1 rap artist: in the past 3 weeks there have been 3 extensive features on eminem (a song which i personally feel radio 1 should not be playing due to its lyrics) endless people popping up to express that because they like an artist it should be number 1, and in every interview he knows the artist personally and is their "mate"- thinking about it, he interviews the same 5 artists on a cycle so it wouldn't be hard.

For a while I have thought the chart show should be done by the other dj's taking it in turns to spice it up a bit.

etheridge_tom.png

imho he has done the impossible and dumbed down the format so much it's hardly recognisable, every week on the chart show there is a feature on at least 1 rap artist: in the past 3 weeks there have been 3 extensive features on eminem (a song which i personally feel radio 1 should not be playing due to its lyrics) endless people popping up to express that because they like an artist it should be number 1, and in every interview he knows the artist personally and is their "mate"- thinking about it, he interviews the same 5 artists on a cycle so it wouldn't be hard.

For a while I have thought the chart show should be done by the other dj's taking it in turns to spice it up a bit.

To be honest I understand exactly where you're coming from. But in my opinion there's very little that can be done to save a show with the dying and out-dated format of the Chart Show. I guess Reggie's just trying to add a bit more interactivity and more 'extensive features' to enhance the show.

The DJs on rotation idea would be good to start with, but the novelty of it will wear out after not too long. Come to think of it, a bit like Have I Got News For You. It probably would work on a fairly regular but short-term/temporary basis like inbetween presenters (like between Wes Butters leaving and Fearne & Reggie starting).

I understand those who say they want more music and less talk from the presenter, but when I feel that way I turn towards my iPod.

I rarely listen to any of Reggie's shows but when I have, I've always considered him to be more than a competent presenter. He comes across as loving what he does and he usually sounds energetic and gives the show the muscle, pizzazz, punch, spirit and vigour which the Request Show and Chart Show formats, by their very nature, lack.

I've only heard him on the odd saturday show, but I really liked what I was hearing. I think he got the balance of music (which was mostly great) and chatter totally right. If I were more of a weekend listener, it'd probably end up being a favourite show.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

half of the request show is playlist anyway... and the dance hour of it is more playlist/ MOS album stuff , but to make it edgy they cut the songs in half and add VO's and FX's to cover the fact that they're too lazy to mix.

Lowest common denominator broadcasting.

etheridge_tom.png

You mean before JK and Joel started...

Oh yeah, sorry!

Yes, yes but look, Kyle. i thought you loved Reggie!?! hes your new boyf in aaronwatch (after Gilles Peterson and Tom Deacon) you nommed him sexiest r1 male after all.... ;)

Oh gosh no. Not at all!

I've only heard him on the odd saturday show, but I really liked what I was hearing. I think he got the balance of music (which was mostly great) and chatter totally right. If I were more of a weekend listener, it'd probably end up being a favourite show.

I agree :)

half of the request show is playlist anyway... and the dance hour of it is more playlist/ MOS album stuff , but to make it edgy they cut the songs in half and add VO's and FX's to cover the fact that they're too lazy to mix.

Lowest common denominator broadcasting.

I've never understood why people call the show to request singles that are already on the playlist. It's boring, repetitive, unimaginative and lazy. The request show and the takeovers should be about playing the tracks that normally wouldn't be played on the station, the great classics we all love and the forgotten and underrated singles we all once loved. To be fair to Reggie though, I do often hint that he doesn't want requests for playlisted tracks, he probably finds it just as annoying as we do.

But in the last hour of the show especially, there are a few tracks that come up really frequently that aren't that popular which I'm pretty sure Reggie likes and probably picks himself from the text screen. Examples include:

Nneka - Heartbeat (Chase and Status Mix)

Sub Focus - Could This Be Real

Caspa - Back For The First Time <Perhaps not surprising as it was his weekend anthem and in none of his shows does he technically get to choose any of the music>

Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (Jakwob Remix)