Unofficial Mills

Radio 1's World Cup Weekenders

Jono

Over the next 5 weeks, we'll be celebrating a summer of brilliant live music and broadcasting from the UK's biggest festivals. We want you to join us, but not miss out on the World Cup.

Each week, we'll give a lucky listener a pair of VIP festival tickets, and sort out somewhere very special for them to watch some of the big World Cup matches.

Weekend 1: Download

You'll hang out with Dan P Carter and Mike Davies when they broadcast on Saturday afternoon. Then straight after the show, you can stay backstage and watch England v USA. After that we'll whisk you to the side of stage to watch 30 Seconds to Mars play live.

Weekend 2: Scott Mills and Green Day

On Friday 18th June - Be part of Scott Mills' World Cup party for England v Algeria. The next day he's going to see Green Day at Wembley, and you could go with him.

Weekend 3: Glastonbury

The mother of all festivals. The World Cup will be down to the final 16 teams and we'll have somewhere very special for you to watch the football.

Weekend 4: Wakestock and Wireless

The weekend of the quarter finals - it's Wakestock in North Wales and Wireless in London. You can go to both.

Weekend 5: T in the Park, the British Grand Prix and the World Cup Final

Then the weekend of the World Cup Final, it's T in the Park and the British Grand Prix. We'll make sure you get to both and see the big game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/worldcup/2010/competition.shtml

Weekend 1: Download

You'll hang out with Dan P Carter and Mike Davies when they broadcast on Saturday afternoon. Then straight after the show, you can stay backstage and watch England v USA. After that we'll whisk you to the side of stage to watch 30 Seconds to Mars play live.

Was really tempted to try for this competition until the 30STM bit. Fuck that. Can anyone from Radio One confirm that this is set in stone? I don't understand who would want to see 30STM when RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE will be on the main stage at that moment.

If we can fuck the 30STM bit and go see Rage instead, then I might enter.

Can anyone from Radio One confirm that this is set in stone? I don't understand who would want to see 30STM when RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE will be on the main stage at that moment.

People who prefer 30 Seconds to Mars over Rage Against the Machine I would have thought.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

You know how it is though. To promote these events they need the music. Radio 1 will be able to play 30STM with no trouble. Whereas it'll be more difficult for Rage. Same with the fact it's a Green Day gig and not something else.

Yes, we'll change all the competions just for you!! :hahaha:

Who do you mean by 'we'?

People who prefer 30 Seconds to Mars over Rage Against the Machine I would have thought.

Those people don't exist. If they do, they're idiots.

You know how it is though. To promote these events they need the music. Radio 1 will be able to play 30STM with no trouble. Whereas it'll be more difficult for Rage. Same with the fact it's a Green Day gig and not something else.

What do you mean they'll be able to 'play' the music? If you mean playing their songs in the run up, they had no issues with playing Killing... every five minutes during the Christmas period. If you mean playing the music live as it happens on the night, a) it's not specified as part of the competition, and B) the headline acts won't be on until 9/9.30pm which I can't see Radio One interrupting Westwood to do (and I've never know that to happen in the past for Download). Even if it's an issue with playing the gig afterwards, just play 30STM and don't tell anyone who the winner got to see.

Could be that Rage won't allow a fan to come and see them perform live, but they're usually quite cool with fans. Could be that they hate Radio One using them for competitions, which is plausible as it would be against their principles and they don't particularly like the BBC. Could just be that Radio One are using the shittiest and yet completely coincidentally most mainstream band of the day to sell it to their idiot audience who don't deserve to go to Download to be surrounded by Megadeth, Deftones, Lamb of God etc who they clearly won't appreciate. And if they DO appreciate those bands, why would they see 30STM over any of those bands, or Rage? It's essentially a "who loves 30STM" competition. Pisses me right off that R1 are always so short-sighted towards their fanbase.

What do you mean they'll be able to 'play' the music? If you mean playing their songs in the run up, they had no issues with playing Killing... every five minutes during the Christmas period.

True. It's not like 30STM has a huge back catalogue at R1.

Who do you mean by 'we'?

Those people don't exist. If they do, they're idiots.

What do you mean they'll be able to 'play' the music? If you mean playing their songs in the run up, they had no issues with playing Killing... every five minutes during the Christmas period. If you mean playing the music live as it happens on the night, a) it's not specified as part of the competition, and B) the headline acts won't be on until 9/9.30pm which I can't see Radio One interrupting Westwood to do (and I've never know that to happen in the past for Download). Even if it's an issue with playing the gig afterwards, just play 30STM and don't tell anyone who the winner got to see.

Could be that Rage won't allow a fan to come and see them perform live, but they're usually quite cool with fans. Could be that they hate Radio One using them for competitions, which is plausible as it would be against their principles and they don't particularly like the BBC. Could just be that Radio One are using the shittiest and yet completely coincidentally most mainstream band of the day to sell it to their idiot audience who don't deserve to go to Download to be surrounded by Megadeth, Deftones, Lamb of God etc who they clearly won't appreciate. And if they DO appreciate those bands, why would they see 30STM over any of those bands, or Rage? It's essentially a "who loves 30STM" competition. Pisses me right off that R1 are always so short-sighted towards their fanbase.

Narrow minded prat. Get off your high horse. "I like real rock music and anyone who doesn't is an idiot". Seriously, understand some people like mainstream music, and download can cater for them as well you know.

I like 30 Seconds to Mars, I prefer them over Rage Against the Machine. I also happen to like mainstream music. So what if a rock band caters to the mainstream. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean Radio 1 are being short sighted to their fan base or that 30STM are shit. Just because someone prefers 30STM it doesn't mean they don't appreciate rock music or the values of the festival.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Narrow minded prat. Get off your high horse. "I like real rock music and anyone who doesn't is an idiot". Seriously, understand some people like mainstream music, and download can cater for them as well you know.

I like 30 Seconds to Mars, I prefer them over Rage Against the Machine. I also happen to like mainstream music. So what if a rock band caters to the mainstream. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean Radio 1 are being short sighted to their fan base or that 30STM are shit. Just because someone prefers 30STM it doesn't mean they don't appreciate rock music or the values of the festival.

You said what i was too lazy to do with my previous comment. Bravo, hats off, i agree 100% :]

www.twitter.com/#!/AlistairRobb93