Unofficial Mills

London 2012 mascots

GLK29

Has anybody else seen the new London 2012 mascots, Wenlock and Mandeville?

I don't know what to think of them! The computer graphics look really good but the costumes look a bit crappy.

Also, is it just me or is the one on the left doing a Hitler salute?

post-7845-145327881424_thumb.jpg

Blobs of steel, apparently. Or a giant waste of time and money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/london_2012/8690467.stm

Good point in the video on that link though, does anyone actually remember Olympic Mascots? I know I don't, outside of Springy The Springfield Spring.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Good point in the video on that link though, does anyone actually remember Olympic Mascots? I know I don't, outside of Springy The Springfield Spring.

I didn't even know that there are Olympic mascots! :oops:

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

I didn't even know that there are Olympic mascots! :oops:

Nor did I really... I remember a few olympic logos (London 2012 is the WORST I can remember, it just looks a mess and one's I saw online that random people mocked up in Photoshop looked better, one was looking like a Borough of Westminster street name sign was my fave I think) but as far as mascots, just Springy, and that was fictional (from The Simpsons)

The logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving a blow job.

The mascots look like two giant one-eyed trouser snakes (to quote Richard Herring).

And they wonder why we can't be trusted with a World Cup?

Yeah, though still more likely to host one than to win one.

Oh actually I do seem to remember countries in the olympics having mascots, but not the Olympics themselves.

i don't think they are to bad, they are more to do with technology & interaction, there will be loads of web presence & they are going to make them with real cameras in them so kids can buy them.

we could have done the same old thing as everyone else does have something just completely random or something really obvious like a bull-dog or lion, but that's not the point, because it's not about us, its about the world coming together in the spirit of the games :)

:)

i don't think they are to bad, they are more to do with technology & interaction, there will be loads of web presence & they are going to make them with real cameras in them so kids can buy them.

we could have done the same old thing as everyone else does have something just completely random or something really obvious like a bull-dog or lion, but that's not the point, because it's not about us, its about the world coming together in the spirit of the games :)

I don't really see how they're about that either though, if I'm honest.

I agree entirely. I think they are different, will sell well, especially to foriegn tourists and look fabulous on CGI. Yes the costumes are a bit weak but on the whole I like them and the stroy they've created. If only they changed the logo then the games would be looking half decent.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I don't really see how they're about that either though, if I'm honest.

the Olympics in Russia had a bear as a mascot & Australia had a kola etc, where as a lion or bull-dog may mean something to us in the UK to everyone else they don't mean anything, with these ones anyone can identify with them once you know their back ground, but once they get out a bit on the net people will interact with them.

i will say one thing about the UK that we are better than the rest of the world, & thats thinking of new ways to get people interested in things & even getting people to take part, which is what the Olympics is about, its not winning it's the taking part & thats one reason why the UK was chosen i think because all that went before was more money & extravagance thrown at the games & the committee knew we wouldn't go mad with the spending & all the effort would be put into the sports & events, we were always going to do it differently & in our own way :)

:)